Aussies Living Simply

Im So Excited !! Im Getting a Canner !!!!!!!!!!

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Im So Excited !! Im Getting a Canner !!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    MelissaMelissa

I know i haven’t been here in a while but as most of you know that RL is more of a priority than that of an online one ……. But…

Today i purchased my Presto Canner and it was a steal AU$119 that was with postage i wont get it until early December but i am excited that i will be able to start preserving our gardens bounty and also some of the meat that we go out and get like goat. I know that there are quite a few of you that have Canners so i would really appreciate any hits and misses that you have had also the best things to “can” and all your successes

TIA

Melissa:)

smiffysmiffy

Melissa

Where did you get it from ? have not seen them that cheap……I want one at that price.

I would also like to know where you got that from?

MelissaMelissa

i ordered the 23qrt one from AMAZON.COM and i took the longest postage method and it was $29.90

smiffysmiffy

I just ordered mine too…$117.00…whoo hoo

comes 5th december…looks like we will be learning canning together.

Hope i don’t blow up the kitchen , lol

MelissaMelissa

wow the exchange rate dropped in 6 hours lol im thinking that sounds good i have been looking for canning books on amazon also

smiffysmiffy

I have been looking at recipes on the internet also. I have a question about jars , has any body used Fowler Vocola jars in the canner ? I know they recommend mason jars .

MelissaMelissa

Amazon wont mail the mason ball jars to Australia but i have a friend over there who has got them for me and will mail them to me next week so if you know someone in the US getthem to have them shipped to them then you its still pretty cheap doing it that way

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I’ve got an All American canner and I use Fowlers Vacola jars. I don’t have any others. My canner is big enough for a double layer and provided I space the clips right, the rack and second layer has no trouble balancing.

Welcome to the world of Canning, Melissa and Smiffy. You’ll find it very liberating. One of the things I’ve done is made jars of bolognese sauce, chilli con carne and also a beef stew. On those nights when I can’t be bothered cooking from scratch, it’s wonderful to be able to open a jar and still have home cooked food; also you know every ingredient that went in to it.

Have fun!

smiffysmiffy

Thats exactly what i want to do is have meals for when i don’t feel like cooking …

Do you cook the Bolognaise sauce before you can it or does the canning cook it .

MelissaMelissa

WOW An All American i just couldn’t afford one of them but i am hoping the the Presto will be good enough? so seeing your the expert Barb maybe you can start a hints tips tricks and canning recipes section that will be most valuable 🙂

MelissaMelissa

WOW an All American Canner i just couldn’t afford one of them but im sure my Presto will do the job…..

So Barb seeing you are the expert canner you might like to start a canning tutorial thread with all your hits misses recipes and other sage advice you have regarding canning

redhen2redhen2

you need to cook it first. i bought a canner last year and i still haven’t used it in anger. you can get balls blue book of preserving (or similar) and that has lots of recipes of all kinds in it.

good luck.

k

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

The recipe I use for bolognaise sauce is pre-cooked, but the stew one everything is raw. I think with the bolognaise sauce you’d have to brown the meat at least, otherwise it would sort of form a lump.

A site that I’ve found very useful is this: National Centre for Home Food Preservation I’ve downloaded the book and printed it off so that I’ve always got a copy handy without having to log on to get it.

Oh, the bolognaise sauce recipe comes from “Food Preserving at Home” by John Gross and the stew recipe is from the instruction and recipe book that came with my canner.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Melissa post=296267 wrote:

So Barb seeing you are the expert canner

Ha ha. I’m no expert, Melissa. Only had it since February – was my birthday pressie from my beloved. I haven’t done anything more adventurous than tried and tested canning recipes. Still very much a learner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.