Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

I can't believe I used to throw this out!

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Reduce, Reuse, Repair, Recycle I can't believe I used to throw this out!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

In a previous life, I used to religiously cut off the celery leaves and throw them out. That was before I read “the Australian Family Vegetarian Cookbook” by Heather Stephens and learned to use them in salads and other recipes.

I used to throw nasturtium leaves in the compost bin-now I make pesto with them-instead of basil.

I used to think that tomatoes had to be red -now I use green tomatoes in stews and soups.

There is a site called “Love Food hate waste” which gives lots of ideas for use of foods rather than throw them out. http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/ This site suggests that a whopping one third of food bought in the UK is thrown out!

Any other suggestions of things we used to throw out but which can be eaten?

shadowdancershadowdancer

wow! I can remember some things my grandmother used to do. Like if there was weavils in the flour. she used to spread the flour out on the kitchen table, and let it sit. Weavils don’t like the light so will move away from it, and if the flour is thin enough, will not be able to burrow through, so she’d then get it all back together using a pastry scraper, and put it back in the container, and keep it! Nowdays we would look inside, and throw it out! sometimes I wonder what other things we throw away and what other uses we could get from these products that have spoiled?

MargoMargo

Oooooooooooooooh do you have a recipe for the nasturtium leaf pesto? I have LOADS of them

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Yes here you go:

Nasturtium Pesto

by French chef Joel Chenet

Put the following ingredients into a food processor or blender:

• 4 cups packed nasturtium leaves

• 3 to 5 cloves of garlic

• 1-1/2 cups olive oil

• 2 drops Tabasco sauce

• 1 cup walnuts

Process the mixture until smooth. The pesto can be frozen and stored in ice cube trays so it’s ready whenever needed. Excellent on top of grilled salmon, halibut, chicken or steak.

I have also made this with pine nuts. I find the idea of freezing it in icecubes a great idea, as a cube or two really lifts a vegetarian pasta sauce.

MagpieMagpie

Well I’ll be….. gotta try this one!! Thanks earthmotherwithin! 😀

MargoMargo

thatnks earthmother – will definitely be trying this. I wonder if it would be OK without any nuts? DH loathes them:(

Try Pine nuts as a substitute if walnuts are not acceptable

mary dollmary doll

emw

that is a fab site..thanks for posting the link

MD:wave:

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

The latest edition of “National Geographic” has a story about how the world might run out of food with all the people needing to eat it. Seems to me that we need to take much more care of what we have.

Having said that, I have just thrown out about 2 kilos of arborio rice with weevils in it. Sorry, but I just couldn’t face trying to separate them from the rice!!!!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.