Aussies Living Simply

Hybrid house in Clunes (Vic) – your thoughts…

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Hybrid house in Clunes (Vic) – your thoughts…

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    pavbenth

Seven months since the last update. I think it’s time, Andre. Where are you at now?

Stunning house.

Hummer

You are quite right right Pavbenth, Andre has created what will be a beautiful abode & I for one, are looking forward to seeing it completed.

🙂

Andre

I will shortly attempt to upload recent computer generated images from my draftsman.

However, I had an episode of needing to search for another engineer – long story. :jawdrop:

As it turns out, I found one who is capable of doing the engineering for rammed earth and strawbale structures. :tup:

Turns out he is also less expensive ($4,500) and greater reputation than the previous one. :tup:

Things happen for a reason …

I have a quote of around $4,500 (…. that figure seems to crop up often …) for the 450m driveway, from a local dude. Nice guy, and we had a good chat.

:whistle:

Andre

pavbenth

Very snazzy, Andre.

porgey

Looks good Andre. What materials are you going to use and who is going to build it? Also what are you making the driveway from?

Andre

G’day porgey

Strawbale walls externally, rammed earth walls and floor internally (other than wet areas).

Where possible (& practical), everything else will be recycled building materials.

Owner-builder (me, as much as I can).

The driveway will initially be – once excavated (3m wide/10-15cm deep) – laid with ‘scalps’. I understand ‘scalps’ are the first cuttings from quarries. I’m advised that after about 3 years of use, it settles and hardens to a good base.

After that, a gravel/scoria can be laid.

Latest word is this will start in a fortnight. :tup:

calliecat

looks and sounds good

porgey

Sounds great. Have you got much of the second hand materials? With the driveway I would top the scalps with a four twenty mix as scalps are awful to drive on and terrible for walking over!

Andre

Not a huge amount of the second-hand materials as yet .. a couple of windows and glass bricks (windows). I was more or less going to wait for the engineer to determine the size and specifications/ratings of the required structural materials.

The scalps are the preliminary stage of the driveway. While the building is going on, it will have to do 🙂 .. then once all the hard-yakka is complete, I’ll consider making it look pretty.

The dude doing it will roll/vibrate it as well.

The first stage will be the B&B.

Although I want to be the owner builder – I’m considering for convenience (and only for the B&B) to discuss with Huff’n Puff making a workshop of it instead. Will just have to see how it goes … and what they say.

russ

what are you going to by way of water? I take it your off the grid with power and also want to be self sufficient re water?

sounds good, looking forward to looking at some progress photos

Andre

G’day russ and welcome to ALS ..

Yep – totally off-grid for all services. Wastewater treated onsite (not 100% on what system I’ll choose). Obviously collect as much rainwater as I can, and utilise dams and swales everywhere else 🙂

Andre

Hi folks

Jut a quick update, this week the engineering plans are being finalised!

Then it is off to the drafter to complete the floorplans/blueprints .. then the council hoops to follow.

Oh and I now have a 500m driveway. (its got a turning circle near where the house will be)

🙂

Snags

Andre post=358916 wrote:

Is it too late too line up the centre line of the French doors with the centre of the top windows.

It may not be possible because of the size of bails?

or you may like the l shape design

Bobbee

I’m getting excited for you Andre, well done. :clap:

Now that’s enough of the praise, for goodness sake will you just ‘GET ON WITH IT’.

I’m hanging out to see a pic or two or a hundred, of some actual building work in progress.

🙂

PS: I am really a VERY patient wee body, really I am. :laugh:

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.