Aussies Living Simply

How would this happen?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Ornamental Gardens How would this happen?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BronBron

We’ve been living here for 3.8 yrs and have seen our white banksia rose flower 3 times now. Next to it (close enough for them to touch) is a desert cassia. This year, some of the flowers of the banksia rose are pale yellow?? Not an ‘old, dying’ colour, that’s the colour they’ve opened. Would this be the result of cross pollination from the cassia or something else? The flowers further away aren’t this colour. We have lots of bumble bees here if that makes any difference.

Thanks 🙂

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Bumblebees are cool, I have only seen them a few times in my life. I assume that you are in Tasmania somewhere (not that it has any impact on the answer here)?

Unless the plants are seedlings that have grown recently it can’t be cross pollination and has to be something else. Is it possible that this is a grafted rose and the yellow coloured flowers are growing from under the graft? I guess you have already checked for that though.

I could be wrong about this but my best guess is that one bud or part of the plant had some slight unnoticeable damage, when it grew that part of the plant was changed slightly and produced a sport that is different to the original plant. A sport is produced when a mutation occurs causing a random change in the plant’s chromosomes. This is normally brought about by insect damage, the weather or other factors.

Some plants are more likely to produce sports in this way than others. Many varieties of camellia have been produced in this way instead of being bred in the traditional sense.

I could be on the completely wrong track here and it may be something else entirely. If it flowers different like this next season then it is most likely a sport

BronBron

Hi, thanks for your response 🙂 Never heard of a sport so learned something 🙂

No, I’m in Qld. This is the only place I’ve seen bumblebees in any sort of quantity, but I do love it! 😉 I have also learnt they can sting without needing force and will not die when they do. (I was trying to move one from it’s prison on the windowsill).

It’s a very very old plant, at least 40 years I imagine. (just from teh information I have about previous owners and other plants in the yard). Damage is very possible. Oh and definitely the tree banksia 🙂 definitely not a rose though the flowers do look very rose like 🙂

I also have a couple of white hisbiscus (which would be the same or similar age) that throws a flower that is white on one side, pink on the other. Very pretty and unusual 🙂

SnagsSnags

Mutation, climate ???

Re bees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amegilla_bombiformis

they are a beautiful bee we have a few round here too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.