Aussies Living Simply

How to Make Butter

Home Forums HOMEMADE Dairy products How to Make Butter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    crystal

Hey,

Thought you would like to know how i make butter:

How To Make Butter

Thanks!

Bron

I lived on a farm for a year when I was a child. We would collect the cream (that is, mum would), pour it into a large glass jar, add a bit of salt and a marble or two and we’d shake the daylights out of it 😀 I can still taste that butter!

crystal

Thats how we used to do it too! But it concerns me now that we were eating tiny chips of glass in our butter… i worry too much!

Bron

Yeah, reckon that might just be overkill in the worry department 😉 I’m fairly sure that would have created tiny bleeds in the gut, so black poops and someone would have noticed 🙂

We still use glass jars for our milk, but because I don’t like to skim the milk (only time I do is to make ice cream), unlikely I’ll make butter. Course, I never actually put a marble in the jar and shake it 😆

crystal

Make butter! Its so much nicer, and cheaper than buying it. With a stand mixer its too easy! I enjoy doing it though…

goodfood

Home made are best.It sound cool.I’ll want to start make butter with a good quality organic cream.

roadwarrior

crystal post=333724 wrote: …and cheaper than buying it.

How so? Wouldn’t it be much more expensive buying the cream to turn into butter?

Robyne

I just put cream in my Kenwood and use the ballon whisk till it turns to butter.

I use the butter milk for scones, have successfully frozen it for later.

I don’t put salt in as there is enough salt in our diet

GirlFriday

I made some today and wondered why it took ages to turn into butter- turns out you need your cream at room temperature- not straight out of the fridge 😉

I put chopped herbs and garlic in mine and it looks and smells divine.

chester

A while back I bought a glass butter churn on Ebay,for just under $100, paid a bit much but I was desperate to have one. They work like a dream lots of elbow grease but if you have ya few willing kids to do the turning it’s a breeze :clap: the butter was wonderful!

dierich
    Participant

I only have homemade butter too, thanks to my Thermomix and Fleurieu Milk Co cream – I didn’t know about the room temperature bit though and have never had any problems with the cream straight from the fridge. Will see if it makes a difference next time.

casalenta

Bron post=333692 wrote: I lived on a farm for a year when I was a child. We would collect the cream (that is, mum would), pour it into a large glass jar, add a bit of salt and a marble or two and we’d shake the daylights out of it 😀 I can still taste that butter!

You don’t need the marble. You just need a jar and some patience.

Here’s a Youtube vid on making butter. Very simple, very delicious. It also explains why it’s better to use cream at room temperature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oropJD0CUxI

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.