Aussies Living Simply

How to get rid of those pesky rats

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up How to get rid of those pesky rats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    russellau

I have built a (so far) rat proof chicken coop but have noticed lots of digging attempts lately.

When I built the enclosure, I dug down about 30 cm and extended the “rodent proof” wire down into the ground and finished it off with some concrete, but am concerned the little buggers will burrow under it eventually.

Does anyone have any tips? I have a rodent station in the garden beside (chook proof), but checked the baits and they are untouched. I added a different brand of bait and still no takers.

Any advice welcomed.

Russell

Wombat

Claymore mine? (Sorry, i know that’s my answer for everything……)

when I lived at Bankstown and we used to ram a pipe through into the burrow and drop tuppenny bungers down, but I suppose that is no longer practical either……

Nev

russellau

Ha, good advice Wombat, but yes, not an allowed practice 🙂

BlueWren

Are you sure it’s rats digging? Bandicoots, hares or echidnas a posssibility where you live?If so yes rats can go very deep and very far.Here they went about three metres underground and came up inside my chook dome!! :jawdrop: Twice,from opposite sides.

I eventually resorted to Racumin bait – as you say,outside the pen – and find it goes very quickly and is very effective.It is also less harmful when baited rats are eaten by other creatures.

It is very interesting to pour a large volume of water very quickly down a rat burrow in the daytime……………..they usually have a back door …….in my experience anyway,really wish I’d had a video camera running.I did use cold water of course!!

Gumnut

Wish I knew a nicer way but I’m going to be getting the old rat trap out 🙁

Replanted the broad beans 3 times and 2 lots of garlic because my rat has been snavelling them! Now it has started on my potato onions, I’m sorry but it’s bye bye rat. :angry:

BlueWren

Gumnut , I resisted using baits for years.Tried traps – catch one and the others avoid the trap , they are super smart – and greasy poles over water etc etc , beat two big rat nests out of the macadamia tree.Eventually there were dozens of the blighters and they were attracting snakes so baits it had to be.I still don’t like doing it but it just had to happen.There are humane zappers, but they only catch one at a time and are expensive.

Gumnut

Sorry BW didn’t mean to cause any offence :hug: , I’m going to have to try the rat traps first only because I have one very curious doggie who likes to sniff out anything stinky and munch it! Must say though I am now a little freaked out that they make nests in trees, didn’t know that!! :jawdrop: Damn blighters have officially declared war by going after my precious onions!!

I have found that hazelnut spread to be very attractive to mice on a trap – has the added bonus they have to lick it off so they cant just sneak away with it. Maybe that might work either on the traps on in the bottom of the bait box?? :shrug:

karyn26

Apparently rats love peanut butter,so if you have some give that a go.

BlueWren

Gumnut ??? Thanks, but I didn’t detect any offence at all.Mine was just a comment that I hadn’t found traps very effective, but give it a go , you might be lucky if you only have a few rats.They dooooooo like peanut butter ……..and I wasted a lot! It reached the point where the rats could get the stuff off without tripping the trap , and I don’t think it was anything else doing it.I don’t know if they often nest in trees but the macadamia leaves are very dense and gave them a base to pile on more leaves!! Good luck!!

You could try the old fashioned snappy traps inside an upturned plastic box with a small hole in it for them to get into. That way it will keep out most other animals that it could possibly be. Hole only needs to be about the size of a 20 or 50 cent piece. We have a very healthy population of them here unfortunately. They don’t take the bait in the stations either.

Jenoka77

Hi, I’m new to this. I’m starting slo :wave: wly but I read somewhere growing lavender near chook pens help deter rats and mice. To the more experienced people I have two questions. Does this work and will the lavender halm the chooks

BlueWren

Jenoka I have absolutely no idea – somebody may know – but welcome to ALS.Hope you enjoy your time here.

penny

Lemon jubes are good to catch mice in traps, don’t know about rats though

mauzi

jenoka, I don’t know if lavender will deter the rats (I suspect not) but it wont hurt the chooks.

I don’t know how you deter them except with a cat or a jack russel terrior. We tried all the above sort of traps over the years and they really are as smart as someone said earlier. Guess that is why they are so successful.

BlueWren

My cat is a great ratter – I know because he brings them indoors to devour under the kitchen table. :jawdrop: :sick: Problem is he is also clever like his victims, and leaves all the guts in a neat pile for ME! So kind……..

I’m glad he does bring them in at the moment in case he catches a slow moving baited one too easily and I can get it off him.One of the funniest things I have seen was when he found a dead rat and came running towards me with it in his mouth.The rat was as stiff as a board and just stuck out straight on both sides of his mouth. :laugh:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.