Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

How many litres of water a day does your family go through?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION, ENERGY and WATER CONSERVATION Water Conservation How many litres of water a day does your family go through?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    HayleyHayley

Lynnie do you put the nappies in for a separate wash or together with other clothes? With my second baby I just rinsed the nappies if needed and put in with other clothes and it had only a little impact on the total number of washes I did.

If washing is the big thing – how water efficient is your washing machine?

That much water sound like it could be a leak – measuring at night sounds a great idea.

lynnielynnie

Hayley – I use tank water for the washing machine its not connected to the town water at all… I do do what you do with the nappies though I rinse then in the machine ever night then every second night all his clothes go in with the nappies…

Will read the meter in the morn before I leave for work….

Hmmmm I need to figure this out its driving me nuts.. My friend uses town water to wash her nappies and they use half the amount of water we do…. arggggg :ohmy:

HayleyHayley

Definitely something going on then! Sometimes if the water fellas can’t get to the meter they’ll bill an average amount rather than the actual amount – not that is it?

diannedianne
    Participant

lynnie post=305929 wrote: Hayley – I use tank water for the washing machine its not connected to the town water at all… I do do what you do with the nappies though I rinse then in the machine ever night then every second night all his clothes go in with the nappies…

Will read the meter in the morn before I leave for work….

Hmmmm I need to figure this out its driving me nuts.. My friend uses town water to wash her nappies and they use half the amount of water we do…. arggggg :ohmy:

I dare say you have a leak. we had HUGH bills for about a year because of leaks, sucks and drives you insane. when you have a day at home, try to sit and watch your meter. if you have no water on and the meter moves you have a big leak. If you cant see it moving, make a note of the number on the meter and than make sure no one uses any water for say an hour then go back and check again. if its changed you have a small leak somewhere.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

GrumpyGert post=305910 wrote: Its 3600lt a year (2 adults and a baby) so just under 10 lt per day BUT that doesnt include the garden (that comes from the bodgy tank)

Tell us more we are on tank water and we thought we were very frugal but still manage to use about 60lt a day (2 adults).

BlueWrenBlueWren

lynnie post=305850 wrote: I am trying to memy but our last bill was around 400-500 litres a day… not entirely sure how we manage to use that amount of water as we are not home all day and I use tank water for our washing machine…..

There is 3 adults and a bubba… I am a natzi with the water being run….

Would love to know how we use so much water *shrug*

If you really don’t think you use that much is there any chance you have a leaking pipe underground somewhere? Any bright patches of grass, or extra weedy spots? Check your metre when you are sure no water is running anywhere in the house or garden.Is it still showing water being used, by the wheel thingy going around?

Whoops.Should have read all the other posts before I posted.But underground leaks can be hard to find.Hope you solve it soon.

kerriebkerrieb

Check if your toilets are leaking. Just add some dye to the cistern, If you end up with any water into the bowl before flushing you’ll have found one easily fixed problem. For that matter what sort of toilet cistern do you have changing from 12l single flush to low water usage dual flush toilet cisterns saved me about $200 a year on water bills.

lynnielynnie

Thanks for all your advice people I really appreciate it….

I read the meter yesterday morning then again when I came home then again this morning and we had used nearly 160 litres from yesterday morning til this morning. We have have in that time had 3 showers & a small bath for the wee one and done the dishes after diner and a couple of flushes on the loo.

We do have dual flush loo’s but I am actually thinking of putting a one litre milk container full of water in the unit to decrease the amount of water it uses.

I think also my hubby uses tons of water when I don’t have my eagle eye on him, but I am certainly going to keep writing down our water useage and see where we can lower it.

Once again thanks for all your help people I really appreciate it….

JudiB– how do you only use 60 litres a day?

FeyWindFeyWind

We use 468L/day for 2 adults and 3 small children – using all town water for garden washing etc. Got told by Sydney water consultant it was not worth the environmental cost of putting in a water tank with the amount we were using.

Would love to cut down. Maybe we can put a tank in when we do renovations – at the moment all the gutters head in opposite directions. Sydney Water classes us as a 5 person family on a large property which is meant to use 642L/day in the same period so I don’t feel too bad, all the same, more can be done.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

JudiB- how do you only use 60 litres a day?

I don’t know exactly how we use so little there is just DH and myself but I do the washing once a week I use a twintub washer…. whites in first, then coloured, then darks (not racist) the rinse water is saved and used to flush the loo, we shower 3 times a week I wash my hair once a week and have bucket baths every other night also save shower water to flush the loo any extra goes out to the garden I also use the bath water to wash the floors, we save kitchen sink rinse water and that goes out to the fruit trees… there are buckets all over the house here so kicking the bucket is a real hazard :laugh:

We need a tank here but can’t get one in just yet :angry: only have about 2000gal and we have no choice but to be so frugal as I can’t get a delivery of water either.

sweet_psweet_p

Wow i wish we could get our usage down to 60 litres a day

As of our last water bill we used 280 litres a day. Thats between 3 adults, 2 cats, a dog and a small to medium sized veggie gardden. Thats also without trying to conserve very hard :(.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.