Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

How do you store your stockpile

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Organisation and Decluttering How do you store your stockpile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollowsmistyhollows

A question for those stockpiling. How are you storing what you have? If you live on a suburban block without the shed on the property where do you put it all?

I guess the other question is how much food storage do you think you will need? ie. for how many months.

And, like our family if you don’t eat a whole lot of processed foods what are you stockpiling that you would normally eat?

RobyneRobyne

Hubby bought some cheap shelving and we turned our walk in wardrobe into a stockpile cupboard. It took 4 shelving. When we leave they can be broken down and taken with us. I also have all the flour and sugars etc in containers. In buckets I have rice and pulses in Mylor bags of 1 kilo packs seal with tape around the lids.

Tinned and jars are in coke boxes and stacked in the corner with all written in a book and boxes numberes. Toilet paper is on top shelf in wardrobe and under the spare bed. Under bubs bed is flat boxes with jams and marmaldes in. Some of the boxes have extra tee towels and underwear and socks that are on special when bought.

Packet stuff is usually transfered to mylor bags as they last longer then the shop containers. I also have those 55 liter containers for stockpiling lighter things in.

I also much against what I like I have 3 boxes of dog food incase I can’t get raw food for them I am currently buying extra cat food for sons ginger moggy. I have a contianer half full of bags of sweets, and a contianer of medicines for the family.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Thanks Robyne. We have an extra pantry or 2 of things (which I do need to sort out :S ) and organise a lot better. I was looking at a few utube videos last night and the amount of food some people have stockpiled is staggering. I simply don’t have the room for that in my house. Some have converted their spare room into a pantry, or their basement (which we generally don’t have here in Aust).

Then I was wondering what do you do when you have used it all up :shrug: How many of those people have gardens or other ways to get food if it comes to the end of their 12 month supply (ok some had more or less than that amount) in a major situation like a pandemic or who knows what?

So, while it’s a good thing to have a stockpile, I need to get in and resort my seed packets. We started redoing the vege garden today and making the chook pen area larger with fences so we can extend it if we ever had to. But that’s several months worth of work ahead of us and then I have to get the gardens going again and hopefully more productive.

I know I tell myself one step at a time but it really is just overwhelming at times when you really have a good think about it.

clareccclarecc

I’ve got most of mine in my wardrobe – two sliding doors 1950mm wide. I can fit three ?54L plastic tubs along the bottom, and four high. You have to get good quality ones or they’ll break – I’ve mainly got robusta ones from bunnings. Only leaves me a foot of hanging space but I don’t have many clothes. I’ve got 6 “monthly” tubs with stuff whose useby is at least 6 months, stuff <6months useby I keep separate (e.g. 2 month supply if useby is 2 months). Other places to look for space – under beds/couch, behind couch against the wall, shelves above doorways, add more dividers to existing shelves so you can pack more tightly, cabinets above sinks.

RobyneRobyne

We were thinking of getting some of those office cabinets the metal ones but they would have to go into the garage. living inbtween the river and the ocean things tend to rust quickly down here, So we thought if we filled it with tins or preserving jars how long will they be before we have to throw them out.

Then a couple of years ago when they were building the new estate behind our place we had mice everywhere inside and out. It drove us mad so Huby said it might not work having extra food int he garage we would be feeding the mice and not us.

The boxes that hold coke stack lovely if you do it like the pallet shows how its done. Try to get the same sized boxes for your storage.

The 55 liter containers are great but you have to be careful lifting them with the weight in them as the plastic can break. I picked up 10 of them at Cheap as Chips for $5 each, non see through, you had the choice of colours of green or black. I have put my material in some and packets of food in others they stack nicely in top of each other and having a list on the side I know where stuff is. I have found a couple at garage sales as well for a couple of dollars each.

Big W is a good place to buy toilet paper. I bought 10 packets of 32 for $9 a few weeks ago they will last us all year saving us a lot of money. I do use Tissues when we are sick Coles had them out for 88c for 200 tissues so I bought a box full I asked the manager if I could have an unopened box they do take up room but are in a corner in the back bedroom with a cloth over them. It took a bit of time to get some of the toilet roll packets under the bed but I did it on their sides, same up on top of the wardrobe if laid on their sides, I can get more up there. Same with the dog food bought in trays they slide on top of each other.

Now I am ahead with some of my stockpiling I will get more for the year ahead. Tea is my next major stock pile, 2 teaspoons of leaves will make us a couple of cups of tea each and the left over can be used to make a cake with fruit soaked in it. MIlk Powder is another major store as Bubs still drinks a fair amount of milk. till I can get a goat or cow for milking but even then you still need milk when she drys out.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

We can’t keep any food in the garage either Robyne. Mice here too. You can get the large plastic containers with wheels on them which helps moving them around. I have to be careful what I pack into the second pantry as the shelves aren’t that strong. I had tins and jars in there last year and they started to come down :jawdrop: It was all moved and swapped with the packets but I’d like to increase the storage space.

Time to put my tin foil thinking cap on. :laugh:

HTHT

I found a great hidy hole in the bottom of my lounge,with zips and all its APPARENTLY where you store your cushions when you move,woo hoo its now full of packets of toilet paper,if you don’t have zips, go to plan ‘B’ and use safety pins to patch the great big hole you cut in them to store stuff.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I am fortunate to have a fair few cupboards to store stuff in. Downstairs is the honey bucket (at least 5 kg in it), plastic buckets with tight fitting lids with wheat (we have a flour mill),rice and bread mix in them. In the cupboard above it I have my bottled fruits/ dried herbs and mushrooms/ dried tomatoes/ bottled tomatoes and usually home made pasta sauce but we have run out and sourcing reasonably priced tomatoes at present is challenging.

Toilet paper lives in the linen press. Soap is home made and stored in garlic bread baskets on the shelves in the bathroom.

I make laundry goop for the washing machine- its in a 15 litre bucket.

The rest of the stores stay upstairs in the pantry and are rotated regularly. I cooked up a bag of dried kidney beans recently so that did a meal for us plus leftovers and two containers of cooked beans for the freezer. Now I will replace the bag of dried beans.

SnagsSnags

What do you visualise will happen that you need to store so much food ?

Oil price will drive food prices up community gardens and backyard veggie gardens will sort most stuff out.

First rule is get out of debt.

Sort out your seeds and soil

If I lived in a colder climate I would invest in a green house.

Grow some of this cowboy toilet paper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbascum_thapsus

If you are worried about war and Anarchy

Remember even the people in Mogadishu can eat

Its worth watching the High Street War years

it looks like most things can be sorted by rationing and recycling.

Major problem will be angry people with thwarted expectations,society was more cohesive during the war years than it is today.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

In addition to what Snags said, get to know your local weeds…

Knowing which weeds are edible could be a life saver one day.

AshilleongAshilleong

I’ve heard of some people using wall cavaties for stockpiling in urban areas. Rotating your stockpile is also a good idea – as you buy new food, eat some of the old and replace.

The current floods have made people thing about their food and water supply as a lot of people have been cut off without enough food and water for even a few days.

SnagsSnags

I went to the shops for the first time today since the floods

Plenty of empty shelves, no bread and virtually no fresh fruit and veg or frozen.

Heaps of bulk meat and canned stuff.

I didn’t need anything just curious to see what was going on and what was around.

The water around town all seems to have dried up ,I think the ground was so dry after such a long time without rain it soaked it all up.

RobyneRobyne

Queensland seems to be running out of drinking water so maybe a stock of bottled water wouldn’t hurt to

have on hand or maybe a filter to clean water.

TV showed people outside Woolies store up there ready to buy what was in the store.

Sone said if it happened down here our Woolies and Foodland would be empty within 1/2 hour.

It sort of happened over Christmas, we had more holiday makers then normal and our store was being filled

like mad

Woolies had 2 trucks coming down with supplys instead of the usual 1. So in an emergency with no truck it

would happen.

I have stock piled small gas bottles to go with the gas stove as there will be times when we can’t

light a fire for cooking on. we also have been practising cooking in a tyre., You wrap the base with alfoil

and put a cast iron put on the base and then glass over the top in the sun, It takes about 7 hours

to cook the meal but its done for free. Can also be done in an old wheel barrow. We used a truck tyre.

I mainly stock pile just not only for emergency but for hubbys job its not one that pays all the time,

If he gets works he gets paid but sometimes it can take time to pick up more work.

I get a small pension that pays for the rent and food. so the rest we ahve to be on a strict budget,

as sometimes the food money pays the bills

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

I have only recently started a sort of stockpile in earnest. Due to changes in our income stream I need to make the money go further than ever before, so I was delighted when I found a Cash and Carry store here in Perth that I could use because of my RAC membership. We don’t have Aldi here in WA yet so the big supermarkets can charge pretty much what they like.

I have been buying in bulk those things we use regularly, and which I am sure are cheaper when bought that way.

I had a bad infestation of weevils once so I have not ventured back into bulk flour but I have been purchasing the sorts of things we will use regularly.

I am lucky that my DH is pretty handy. He built extra shelves in between the shelves in our pantry, which actually more than doubled the storage space in there.

We also had a cupboard which used to be where the water heater was -that now has shelves too and is a good place for bulk stores.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

darn- just lost my whole post. In the recent floods we learned that the little stoves with canned gas are wonderful, solar panels that are grid connected are bloody useless in a blackout, gas BBQs are great- the local servo did a roaring trade in refills even though they werent selling petrol. We did end up buying a generator so now have two 20L fuel drums as part of our stockpile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.