Aussies Living Simply

How do you identify with your job?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Simple philosophy How do you identify with your job?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author

:clap::clap::clap: Woo Hoo fantastic news.

It’s great the way the universe always take care of its own.

Oh and I’m sure you had a little to do with it also.:shy:

Michelle

Congratulations Andy.

P

mary doll

herbman i am so pleased for you… it must fill your heart with joy to know that you are on the right path….the gods are smiling at you

MD:hug:

jaymes

Andy :hug:

Wombat

That’s great news mate!:clap::clap::clap:

Glad to hear it is coming together for you!:tup:

Nev

GirlFriday

i am a mother, a homeschooler and a nurse. i trained as a midwife too but working in the hospital system went against so many of my beliefs and caused me such grief and stress that i ended up with major depression.

I went back to nursing- work for an agency now so dont have to deal with all the BS and politics that often happens in nursing. I get paid well enough that i only do two night shifts a week and no rotating roster. The kids dont miss out on seeing me because im working when they are asleep and when im asleep they have their dad to hang out with.

I love nursing because i get to care for people in a kind and compassionate manner- im the nurse who makes sure people can reach their water jug at night and wipes your brow with a cool washer after you have been chucking your guts up. So yes, i love my work because it means i get to make people’s lives a little easier.

I homeschool my children now- its a steep learning curve for all of us but for the most part its an interesting adventure.

AND i run this household and im the glue that holds everything together. i get the jobs done and make sure everyone is cared for. i look after the pets and everything else as well.:hug:

if i won the lotto i wouldnt work anymore in a paid capacity but would probably go on caring- thats just me.

I also work in a volunteer capacity as a foster carer for animals.

I have to distinguish between my profession, which I love, and my work, which really drives me to distraction. My profession is one that has interested me from childhood and one that I actually tend to do even when on holidays. My work, on the other hand, I am so glad to escape that the end of each day is a retreat into sanity.

Many of my colleagues (not just in this job, but in other similar jobs elsewhere) seem to be able to get to a point where their attention to detail and getting things right over-rides the need to meet deadlines, with the result that our clients are constantly unhappy. I am inclined in the other direction. I like to get things done on time and if that occasionally means they are not quite right, then I will provide caveats as to the reliability of the advice and offer an option of a further piece of work which may take a little longer. I have found that most people, as long as they are aware of the benefits of this option, will opt for it and we end up at the same place as that which my colleagues reach, but do it sooner and with less stress. Sadly in the workplace this is not well received at all times which is why I feel I would be better in consultancy work where I can work out a project plan with my client that we can both stick to and know that they will get early warning if things are going wrong. So I love my job, I hate my work ….

Teacup

I have been carrying around a book called, “Leaving the Rat Race to get a Life,” by Philomena Tan. I bought it about 4 years ago, and lately I rediscovered it due to saddness about still working too much. I really want to live a simpler life. I put in 100 percent at work and want to do the same here at home, but think I’m only capable of putting in 25 percent of my energy and attention when I’m here at home. :confused:

I am behaving like a kid clutching onto teddy, for security – I haven’t opened the book at all in the last week, just keep on planning to, and so it’s travelling around the house from room to room. 😆

I am fascinated by human development across the life cycle. I’ve always worked with people. One of my early goals was to teach, mentor, and work with people of all ages. I’ve almost achieved that. I have worked in settings that involved caring, coaching and consulting. I’ve worked across employment sectors and with diverse people. Always at a practical level, yet requiring a creative approach. My “taskiness” means I work very well in hands-on roles. :geek:

I’ve liked a lot of it. Love helping people work out what they want to do to resolve issues and reach their goals. I’ve been exhausted by a lot of it too – somehow this sounds incongruous, but co-exists with the amount of personal fulfillment I’ve gained in doing my work. I’ve had times when I had to stick with something when I wanted to move on, and there’s been times when I took on new ventures purely to see what the experience was like. I guess I’ve worked very hard, but I’ve had a ball.:)

Soon, I will be opening that book and beginning the next chapter…:tup:

Herbman

Hey there Teacup – how did you go with the next chapter?

Teacup

Well, I guess, metaphorically speaking I haven’t had the opportunity to begin the next chapter of the book …. changes are being felt around here – there’s a reduction in household income happening so I’ll just have to keep carrying the book around for a while more. Oh well…sigh….

and continue to “simplify”.:confused:

Jade

My career is as a video game producer, which means managing artists, coders and the like to develop them. It’s kind of fun, very challenging and slightly rewarding.

I’m currently on (extended) maternity leave. I thought I’d go back to work after about 3-6 months (HA!) and so far it’s been about 15 months and I have no real desire to go back. I have changed a LOT since having a baby.

I’ve learned a lot about the ways of managing different people and also a lot about how games are mother natures way of teaching us lessons – the sensation of ‘fun’ is kinda like a chemical reward for example, kittens pounce wool for fun, dogs play tug-o-war for fun, children play hide & seek for fun.. things that allowed us to practice survival mechanisms in a safe environment (fortunately, hide & seek isn’t a real skill we always need to use to survive anymore.. but then modern society is only a small percentage of the time humans have existed).

There are a lot of questionable ethics employed by developers. For example, when games like World of Warcraft come along and use reward mechanisms to induce addictive play behaviours just so they can keep people sucked into the game and paying their monthly fees. Well.. I think that kind of thing is really low. Games don’t have to be educational all the time, but they shouldn’t be made to be addictive like slot machines. Humans aren’t -meant- to be glued to their screens all the time and teens that don’t have a balanced approach to gaming suffer as a result (and I’m speaking from personal experience too).

There are more issues as well, but basically I don’t think it’s something that’s really worth investing all my energy in anymore. At least.. not when I have so much to teach myself – things that maybe my mum should have taught me, but probably didn’t even know herself. Simple things like how to keep a clean, organised kitchen. To cook (and keep) wholesome food. Just.. lots of things that mean a safer and healthier future for my family.

I guess that’s why I’m here though 🙂 I want to be around like-minded individuals that I can learn from and share with. There’s no pressure for me to go back to work while my baby is little as we make do on my partners income.. but gosh I have no clue about finding a job that will work with the new lifestyle I want to have in the future.

kerrieb

Some of you probably won’t want to know me when you find out what I’m doing at the moment.

This is a bit of a hard one I’ve basically worked in the scientific field, ending up going back to uni and training as a chemist which I find quite interesting. I’ve had a range of positions over the years some which I have been able to find the work fulfilling and which I have thought were of benefit to the public (research based). However the last of these had the most difficult, manipulative boss you can imagine.

But when my daughter was 2 my position had become redundant as the area we were working in was no longer seen as a priority. I decided that as we wanted another child and we’d had lot’s of stress in both of our families so we decided I would take a year or two out of the workforce. I had our son and a couple of years turned into 4. I love having taken the time off to be with the kids, but I was a little bored and needed to do something else as well with my life other than staying home all the time.

So I started looking around for something part time in my profession that would fit in with the kids and our lifestyle. That limits it very much locally (if there are 2 jobs a year advertised it is a good one). I got offered a part time casual position working with a small manufacturer of off patent agricultural products. Ethically it conflicts me as I prefer to use to use the least amount of chemicals on my garden and in the house. But I have the nicest boss I have ever had. He is incredibly flexible about my hours, genuinely appreciates my efforts and actually lets me know. He has started the business from scratch on a shoestring and yet I watch him improving the safety consistently around the plant as soon as he has the money. He always does the most hazardous work himself and wouldn’t ask anyone to do anything he doesn’t do.

So I do as I was brought up to and work hard give the best advice I can, learn what I can in the position. I then have the money to improve things around the home. Some of these are not cheap options in retrofitting a 70’s home.

I am also keeping my skills up which is really necessary unless I want to retire completely which at 40 is not something I am interested in doing. I found it incredibly hard to get my brain working again after just 4 years.

I figure when my son starts school I will look around for something else different. Apart from anything else my husband is thinking of taking 2-3 months off to do a little traveling. I have a couple of things that I want to explore (sort of shifting sideways a little) but would require some study. Which I don’t feel I can put the required time into at the moment. I’d rather play with the kids and spend time with my husband.

Eira Clapton
    Participant

At the moment there is quite a bit of conflict between my values and the behaviours I am dealing with at work. I have been here over 12 years and my contract runs out in December, and I have decided that I will not ask for a renewal.

It is a bit scary but I will be starting to tell people this in the next month or so, so that they have time to find another person for the position.

That means that I am looking for other work and after so long in the one place that is both exciting and scary.

I hope to find something that builds on the things I am good at and which is closer to home and which gives me a three day weekend!

Herbman

Wow – it’s been a long time since this thread had a run. It’s interesting to go back through it and see what’s changed or what’s stayed the same.

For me, so much has changed that it’s not funny. When I last wrote I still loved my old public service job. By the time I left that job in May 2010, I was ready to part ways with policy work and hopefully won’t have to go back.

I’ve had a new job in the private sector since 1 June 2010. It’s been a total lifestyle change. I now walk to work through bush tracks and cow paddocks. I am also now in charge of my own destiny rather than being a long way down the public service food chain being told to do whatever the Minister of the day’s whim dictated (no offence intended).

The work I do now is really creative. I write and edit online material every day. I’ve just been away on holidays and took some work with me. It didn’t even feel like work. It just felt like a natural part of my day to sit at a computer or with pen in hand and write. It also feels like a natural part of my day to read other people’s work and get active with the red pen (my professional writing is heaps better than my ALS writing).

The new job has rekindled my passion for writing and creativity. Something I lost during my years in prosecutions and policy. And, while I promised myself I wasn’t going back to university – I’ve decided to apply to do a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Creative Writing.

It’s like my new job has brought me full circle – I started my post-school life studying journalism but made some small mistakes about direction (I took some film subjects instead of writing). And apparently my english story writing is still being used as examples at my old high school almost 15 years after I graduated.

If someone told me 5 years (or even 12 months) ago that I’d leave the public service and start to get excited about writing again I would have told them they were crazy. But it’s a new job that’s given me a new direction. :metal:

How are you all going with your job identification?

Wombat

Well done mate!

As for me, I don’t have a job!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nev

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.