Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

how are you responding to peak oil?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? how are you responding to peak oil?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Lady B post=308560 wrote: There’s a lot to be said for being childless….

Yep and there is a lot to be said for having kids.. a decision I have never regretted. It has made me look at things in life, in many different ways. I think I am a better person because of them.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

dianne post=308567 wrote:

i pretty sure you can find a straping young PERSON and combine the two highlighted in some way. 😉 Ow, just reread, not at the same time ofcause:laugh: but sure you could swap a few hours of labour for a nice drink afterwoods.

Blimey! for a moment I thought you were advocating that I swap my hero for a younger model!!!

Humbug post=308568 wrote:

There’s a lot to be said for being childless….

Yep and there is a lot to be said for having kids.. a decision I have never regretted. It has made me look at things in life, in many different ways. I think I am a better person because of them.

I’m sure there is, but there are some rather bad genetic defects in my family that I’m very pleased that I have not passed on to another generation. However, that’s not related to how I’m handling peak oil, so I will leave it there.

The Highlander (aka my other half) has children and the two girls are complete opposites. One is very down to earth, grows stuff, recycles, all the things that ALS is about. The other is a rampant consumer. Ah well. Can’t win ’em all.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Dennis post=308561 wrote: RW, That’s a good idea, A forum where all the red necks could post. Should end up with some interesting chat to say the least.

It’s called AusSurvivalist. You should stop by there some time and chat to the rednecks with guns, dogs and V8’s. Now those are some of the people you should be worried about in a crisis. To be honest though, some of the ones who just own guns aren’t too bad.

Dennis post=308561 wrote:

What fuel ideas do you have for running your cars, trucks, small engines when the fuel get to costly. Do you recycle your own engine oil etc so that you still got oil when its to expensive.

None. Been down that road already (pun intended). In a global society of declining energy anything that relies in the slightest on modern technology or industrial infrastructure is at risk of failure. Globalisation has put the world at the top of a deck of cards.

A real life example: The earthquake/tsunami/radioactive meltdown in Japan has the potential to cripple the global car industry. Need to replace the timing chain in your Yaris or the batteries in your peak-oil-ready Prius? Forget it. Nothing is going to be coming out of the Japanese motor industry for a very long time. And that’s assuming half the country doesn’t go nuclear.

Job losses in the US car industry have already started, and we’re only a month into the disaster. Expect a snowball effect to roll around the world wiping out jobs, businesses and money. Don’t be too concerned though; a second, more powerful recession will wipe the oil price back to $30/brl, and we’ll start the side-show all over again. By that stage someone should have filled the hole in supply lines that the Japanese left. I can’t see that country ever recovering from this.

Add progressive oil decline (regardless of price) and fighting in the middle east and africa to the equation, with a twist of global warming on the side.

Forget trying to figure out how to run your car. You’ve got to work out how to feed yourself without it, including without welfare/pension or a job.

rw

PS: Old engine oil should be good to keep rust off tools and various other lubricating jobs, so I’m keeping it for later when I can put it to better use.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Humbug post=308568 wrote: Yep and there is a lot to be said for having kids..

I would be a heartless, soulless, mindless automaton without my children. I hold the flame for them, so that one day they can pass it on to their children.

(plus they can chop the wood to keep my old arthritic bones warm at night)

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Lady B post=308552 wrote: should I think about getting ‘armed’

‘Yes’

DennisDennis

RW, Correct me if I am wrong but are you saying we should not be concerned about having a car of any type and just stock up and dig in.

Its one thing to plan to protect yourself from the criminal element but what do you think you are going to do about the armies of the leading nations. They will take what they want and bury your body with the thousands of others. Very little happen by chance so don’t think the PO, CC, middle east, Money issues, are not in the agenda for the future of this planet.

Redneck types, Yep have met some in this area and they are more dangerous than the military. I don’t think they would have a concern for anyone else.

PinetreePinetree

I am steering away from running small engines after the SHTF, as soon as a chiansaw is started everyone within a kilometre now knows you have fuel and or fire wood.

I got hold of an old two handed cross cut saw(just need to convince the kids to learn to use it?)

And Yes Lady B, a person with a good brew should not be short of willing help!

Cheers Pinetree

DennisDennis

Pinetree, I agree any noise from small engines could attract unwanted attention. Have you ever thought of different tech that has a lower footprint and less noise. I am not knocking the cross cut saw etc as I have a few here plus a lot of other hand type tools.

Maybe a dramatic change in our daily lives would be the beginning of a new tech. My thoughts are that the new tech is already here but under wraps.

PinetreePinetree

Yes Dennis, I hope for newer tech that will do away with much of the manual labour that needs to happen in order to survive, but will I be able to pay for it?

Cheers Pinetree

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Dennis post=308592 wrote: RW, Correct me if I am wrong but are you saying we should not be concerned about having a car of any type and just stock up and dig in.

To a certain extent, yes. You should not be concerned about trying to keep your car running while nobody else can. You’ll be drawing way too much attention to yourself.

Stocking up and digging in is only part of the bigger picture though. You have to at least try to create a community around yourself, with people who have skills or knowledge that you don’t. You can’t do everything yourself.

That includes security as well.

Dennis post=308592 wrote: Its one thing to plan to protect yourself from the criminal element but what do you think you are going to do about the armies of the leading nations.

What can anyone do about this? Keeping your car running on vegetable oil isn’t going to help you much there.

There will be various stages to the collapse of society due to peak oil. The trick is being flexible enough to to adapt and survive each one of them.

Jobs, money and health are going to be the biggest issues we’ll encounter first. If you can keep yourself employed and healthy for the next five years you’ll be doing well.

DennisDennis

RW, While I tend to agree in the most part I believe there is more to this than meets the eye. If you have made a mistake in your planing the lives of you and your family maybe in a lot of danger.

RobyneRobyne

A couple of good books to read on what was done during the war. Eating for Victory and Make do and Mend both by Jill Norman. It is an eye opener for making ends meet.

On Channel 2 on Thursday night is about shop keepers through history this week was about the war and how it effected different people. A lot of making clothing fit by cuttingit down for younger people of making it into different styles. Using tea bags on ladies legs in place of stockings.

Our local shop that sells leather goods and they sell bags of off cuts for $5 we have bought some bags as we can made sandles from them.

We have a 22 single shot but I am sure that the thieves won’t have their guns registered as we have. We have been buying a few extra bullets and yesterday I picked up another yabbie net for $6 from Aussie disposils. I found a never run out lighter like the one Bear uses for $26. Son said it will pay for itself in time as matches you buy today are a waste of time.Plus if it is wet it will be handy.

I have been adding to the Mason Jars collection. Extra supplies for the stock pile. plus water

Anonymous

roadwarrior post=308585 wrote:

should I think about getting ‘armed’

‘Yes’

this would be the last thing to consider, even if you built a castle and mote, all that can happen this way is you take out as many as you can before they get you, but ge you they will, this doesn’t offer much hope for your family, you can only create so much amunition and have so much medical supplies (mind you when you get to this stage band-aides will be of little use), medical assistance will be needed. and anyone you bring in will need feeding, food growing could very well come to a halt so you will have nothing to preserve, and hunting gathering skills are likley to be curtailed.

all that can be done is store what you can maybe 6 months supply will be the limit, hope no one gets sick,and lie low, then once you are found all you can do is walk away, and all that stored food will go to feed the opposition. can’t be any gung-ho in this if you hope to survive, heaps of common-sense and sense maybe more the go. find a better foundation maybe?

cross cut saws and axes can be heard clearly in the bush, not to mention the sound of a falling tree. he simple matter of a cooking fire, will arouse the sense of smell and smoke hangs around for a long time.

len

DennisDennis

My response to PO? at the moment it does not bother me a great deal but no doubt as the fuel costs go up it will hurt my pocket. Do I need Petrol ? not really I have other methods to run my engines if I need to.

Food? Well we all understand about a good pantry.

Family safety? Before the real shtf move out to a more isolated place already planed before hand.

Weapons? A bent stick, fishing rod, rifle all may come in handy when trying to put a live 6 ft kangaroo in the stew pot.

DennisDennis

Another point to think about is if you have stuffed up big time and all this is part of the prophecies concerning the second coming of Jesus Christ. You will have no use for survival gear because you will burn in the lake of fire fueled by all the oil.

How would you prepare for that type of peak oil.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.