Aussies Living Simply

Hops

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Wombat

Hey Gang,

anyone got any ideas where I might get hold of some female hop cuttings etc. I’m having trouble sleeping and thought I might try a hop pillow.

Nev

treacle
    gypsy

Hi Wombat,

I have a healthy female golden hops which ive just pegged to the ground to layer. I have never had any success with hop cuttings. if you would like a rooted cutting when (if) my layers ‘take’ you are welcome to one.:)

Wazza

Nev, Try home brew shops. Some sell them, but it might be too late in the season. Most hop rhizomes are sold in winter when they’re still dormant.

Wombat

Thanks for the replies guys!

Gypsy, that would be great, thanks!

Waz, D’oh! Yup, I should have thought of that, Just call me mr Stupid!:laugh:

Nev

murphyslaw

I’d be happy to send you some Wombat. I am pulling them out on a daily basis to stop the mass takeover of the vegie patch. The runners come up with a reasonable root system and I’ve often potted them up this late in the season. PM me.

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

What sort of hops have you got murphyslaw? Depending on variety I might take a couple off your hands.

shadowdancer

Do they require a heap of space to grow them? I have a tiny yard. Do they climb? would they be suitable to grow over a fence??? hmmm got me thinking now…I could use it to distill into oils for soaps ๐Ÿ˜€ hehe

Nev, you might be able to get the dried ones from the Big Health Food store at the top of the “mall” in High Street Penrith. Give them a call before you go, they sell heaps of dried herbs etc. I always try to get in there when I go down to visit relos ๐Ÿ˜€

http://www.penrithorganichealth.com.au/

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

These two photos were taken at the hop gardens near us. Commercial venture of course, but it will give you an idea of the height they can possibly grow to.

The first pic is before they’re harvested, the second is when the vines are being hooked into the conveyor for processing. You can see the height difference between the workers and the vines.

Can’t remember what variety these were.

Attached files

murphyslaw

I don’t know what variety they are, and I’d love to see the commercial pics.

I wouldn’t reccomend these for a small backyard. They climb to 6 foot which is the height of the trellis, I expect with a bigger trellis they would do better. I have them in a raised bed that I thought would contain them but it doesn’t, the runners creep out all the time. Their leaves are nasty and snaggy and you need to avoid running into them coz they hang on, (not as bad as blackberries though). The bracts are the smelly part and when they are out I forgive the plant all of the above sins.

Wazza

Hop pillows have an interesting history. During the Middle Ages it was noticed that hop pickers fell asleep on the job a lot more than other farm workers. The reason? A volatile oil in hops has a mild sedative effect on humans. Early herbalists then started using hops to treat insomnia, stress, tension and anxiety. Perhaps the most famous patient said to obtain relief by sleeping on a pillow of hops was the deranged King George III of England. U.S. President Abraham Lincoln also slept on a hop pillow, to escape the stress of the presidency and secure much needed rest. Interestingly, Lincoln was subject to bouts of depression. This could have been aggravated by his use of a hop pillow. It’s now known that hops amplify the symptoms of depression, so people with depression should avoid hops.

Personally, I think hop pillows aren’t the way to go. As a beer drinker, I can attest that hops have a relaxing effect on the central nervous system and can induce sleep. Taking them in liquid form is a whole lot more fun.

Wombat

Thank youuuuuuuu SD! I’ll give them a look next time we are in Penrith:)

Sorry Waz, I can’t stand the stuff myself so I will have to inhale my hops rather than drink them:lol:

Nev

Wazza

Be careful about inhaling them Nev. Hops are a member of the Cannabaceae family and Cannabis sativa (Marijuana) is hopsโ€™ illegal, shady relative. But hops won’t get you high, because they donโ€™t contain THCโ€”the active ingredient in marijuana. Lupulin, the active ingredient in hops, will only send you to sleep. That said, some alternate types smoke hops and claim they get a buzz out of them. You’re probably safer sticking to the pillow.

shadowdancer

your welcome Nev. They also sell Chamomile flowers, which are good in the bath. Put them in a little bit of cloth, and tie it off, and put in the drawing bath. That way the aroma from them as well, will help you to sleep.

Don’t forget Epsom salts, which are a mineral muscle relaxant ๐Ÿ˜€

But I have to say, that shop is the best one in Penrith for health foods and supplies. I miss it! ๐Ÿ™

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.