Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

homemade Sauces

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    RobyneRobyne

found this one not too many for the mushroom oyster sauce

VEGATARIAN OYSTER SAUCE:

1 cup of soy sauce

1/3-2/3 cup sugar

1/2 cup sake or sherry

1/2 onion diced

1 knob of ginger thinly sliced

15g cinnamon sticks

1-2 star anise

15g dried orange peel

Put al tog in pan bring to boil and simmer over loa heat for approx 1 hour. Until all theliquid has reduced to about 2/3rds

strain and cool and store in fridge last about 1 month

mudhenmudhen

This is a Tomato sauce recipe I got from a friend after having her sauce at a BBQ. I loved it because it isn’t cooked for a long time and still has that fresh tomato-y taste to it. Hubby thought it was a bit too sweet, so might reduce the sugar in the next batch.

Tomato Sauce

Take12lb (5½kg) ripe tomatoes, slice and place in a dish but do not press down.

Sprinkle over the top 4oz (125gms) salt and leave to stand overnight.

Next morning , drain off liquid and add 2oz (70gms) peeled garlic or 1lb (450gms)peeled onions; 3lb (1 ½ kg) sugar; and 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper and ½ teaspoon ginger.

Boil vigorously for 1 hour, strain (I used a mouli) and add 32 fl oz (875 mls or 3 ½ cups) Seppelt’s sweet spiced vinegar.

Return to heat and boil until thick 1 -1 ½ hours.

Bottle while hot.

RobyneRobyne

As we are loosing more and more companies OS lets make our own and they loose all of our business.

A friend asked me if it paid me to make my own sauces and I said its simply I know what is in them. They aren’t artifical in any way or form unless you put it in.

But mostly the family prefer homemade sauces to shop. Bubs wants to know why the shops sauce tastes funny. I even take a small container with me if we have chips when we are out, If she is treated to Maccas [not very often] Son has his own bottle with him as she won’t touch it with their sauce on.

So at 6 she knows what is good for her :woohoo:

tresotreso

Was just wondering is the recipe for taco sauce taste like a salsa… and if so has anyone made it and what did they think of it?

Thanks Carly

BelBel

Robyne post=338251 wrote: As we are loosing more and more companies OS lets make our own and they loose all of our business.

A friend asked me if it paid me to make my own sauces and I said its simply I know what is in them. They aren’t artifical in any way or form unless you put it in.

But mostly the family prefer homemade sauces to shop. Bubs wants to know why the shops sauce tastes funny. I even take a small container with me if we have chips when we are out, If she is treated to Maccas [not very often] Son has his own bottle with him as she won’t touch it with their sauce on.

So at 6 she knows what is good for her :woohoo:

That’s great Robyne :tup: My kids didn’t know what McDonald’s was until they went to school – they called it that place with the yellow ‘M’. They also have things they are used to eating at home and find strange elsewhere. We call pre-wrapped processed cheese ‘plastic cheese’ as we cut ours fresh from a block. DD7 refused to eat the toasted cheese sandwiches at OSHC the other night and didn’t hesitate to tell the teacher she didn’t like plastic cheese…. very embarrassing!

RobyneRobyne

Bubs at least has the manners not to be too rude 2nd son didn’t bother to say what he thought, He told my SIL that her stew tasted like dog food he was 4 and she has never forgiven him and he will be 35 this year.

I am compliling spreads for sandwiches so that is the next topic. We are going to get even on the businesses taking our food OS.

Just on the radio they said OJ from Brazil is still being sold after they found something in it. Juice your own safer

WombatWombat

Robyne post=338200 wrote: found this one not too many for the mushroom oyster sauce

VEGATARIAN OYSTER SAUCE:

1 cup of soy sauce

1/3-2/3 cup sugar

1/2 cup sake or sherry

1/2 onion diced

1 knob of ginger thinly sliced

15g cinnamon sticks

1-2 star anise

15g dried orange peel

Put al tog in pan bring to boil and simmer over loa heat for approx 1 hour. Until all theliquid has reduced to about 2/3rds

strain and cool and store in fridge last about 1 month

Thanks Robyne! :hug: :hug: :hug:

goodfoodgoodfood

Nice thread..Good sauces stuff here..

SnagsSnags

Great thread

Pretty sure I can taste star anise in the hoisin

a bit of chilli and some lime and coriander in the taco sauce would go well too.

Love the oyster sauce recipe will give that a go too.

How about char sui

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerecipes/r/ble10312.htm

it needs bean paste

would love some bean paste recipe

RobyneRobyne

Thank you Snags I have added your recipe to my collection

I added others that people put up a like to have variety in what I put on the table. I did yellow tomato sauce Bubs wasn’t sure of it till her dad said he would eat some first, Tasted exactly like Red but colour has a lot to do in this world

BelBel

I recently rediscovered this thread and thought I’d give it a bump. Was looking for some sauce recipes and this thread is a goodie.

goodfoodgoodfood

Thanks for post those recipe..i’ll try this in coming weekends!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.