Aussies Living Simply

Homemade multigrain bread mix

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Embers

Does anyone make their own multigrain bread mix? If so, what grains do you use and in what ratios?

I have some cracked wheat, buckwheat, sesame seeds and linseed.

lefty

Hi Embers,

Sure do – my recipe is

3 cups plain flour, 1 cup wholemeal flour, 1 tablespoon milk powder, 1 tablespoon gluten flour (have been known to leave this out and it is fine) 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons bread improver, 2 teaspoons sugar, 400 mls water, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons each of sesame seeds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, linseed, buckwheat, 2 tablespoons LSA and 2 teaspoons yeast.

I usually make it to the dough stage in a breadmaker (cause it saves me time) then put it in the bread tin to rise and cook for about 35 mins.

I play around with the seed combination and add what I feel like at the time. Have substituted some of the seeds with caraway, poppy, crushed nuts – all turns out good. I dont use breadmaking flour or bakers flour just plain flour.

Have also added rice malt or treacle instead of sugar for a darker loaf.

I have even left all the seeds out and used 2 1/2 white flour and 1 1/2 wholemeal for a wholemeal loaf.

HTH

Glenda

Id be interested too. Ive just bought a grain mill to make my own flour, & have about 25kg of wheat & a couple each of spelt & rye with the intention of making bread as well as cakes & pastry.

So any recipes using fresh ground flour would be good as I think the fresh ground flour is a bit heavier than the white version.

jaymes

I add rolled oats, sesame seeds and wheatgerm to my standard baker’s flour mix. I then roll the loaf in linseed, polenta and sesame seeds before baking.

It doesn’t look like multigrain, but has heaps of fibre πŸ˜€

kiwimama

The recipe I use most often for my breadmaker is 420ml tepid water, 2 Tbsp sunflower oil, 2 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, juice of half a lemon, 3c white baker’s flour, 1c rye flour, half cup ground linseed and half cup wheatgerm, 2tsp yeast. Makes a loaf that’s tasty without being heavy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.