Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Homemade citrus oil cleaner

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    darlsdarls

Hiya there bluewren, yep you can find them at the cleaning aisle in any supermarkets although sometimes coles / bilo doesn’t stock them often.

This is what it looks like – Vin-A-Clean Cleaning Vinegar

Apparently it’s much more concentrated than the el-cheapo white vinegar. I use it for heavy cleaning and mopping as well as cleaning showers. El-cheapo for ‘everything else’ :tup:

We have heavy mildew and moulds here due to location and as the area was former temperature rainforest region so we get lots of dew out here. Hats’ hanging outside under patio need to be cleaned once every month to stop the building up of mould! :sick:

I am posting in more photos of my citrus cleaner jars in my blog tonite.

Cheers! :hug:

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Maybe the jellified vinegar had a vinegar mother growing it it. I had some balsamic that jellified due to a mother growing.

The mothers can be used to make new vinegar.

Deb

diannedianne
    Participant

darls post=318721 wrote: I dont have that prob… :shrug: She used organic or washed peels, Dianne?

Cheers! :hug:

:shrug: not sure, :laugh: trust me to find the one different one. oh well. she has a big bottle so will still have lots to use for cleaning anyway. :tup:

RobyneRobyne

$1.09 for 2 liters vinegar I pay $1.62 for Homebrand will have to point it out to the groceries manager down here. :woohoo:

I have been using mine for a few weeks now and are very happy with it. :tup: I spray the shower after it has been used. The former tenant kindly polished the tiles with furniture polish and it has taken ages to get rid of the white look on dark green tiles. :woohoo: I find if you just spray it on while the water is still warm on the glass and tiles it cleans it lovely, It needs a bit of a scrub around the bottom of the shower about once a week.

I put it down the toilet each night and rinse in the mornings. Toilet is spotless It does leave a bit of a mark on the sink in the bathroom around the taps but a rinse and its all clean.

It cleans my stainless steel sink lovely and kills any bugs left after doing the dishes. Have used it as a cleaner in my dishwasher. It was very simalar to vinegar and citric acid cleaner. Better then those chemical dishwasher cleaners. you pay a fortune for. :clap:

mudhenmudhen

I was making my laundry liquid the other day and had the thought to add my citrus vinegar to the mix rather than plain vinegar, just for an ommph to the cleaning powers. It has come up a lovely pale orange colour and smells great! I think I might also add it to the dishwasher in the rinse spot, I usually just use plain vinegar there.

AnjaAnja

Great idea Mudhen!!

RobyneRobyne

I used the orange cleaner this morning on the sliding glass doors Granddaughter had left her prints all over them. :hug:

Very clean and shiny. You need to give it a good polishing after but again mine have been furniture polished by the previous tenant so it has streaks that never come off but this seems to have cleaned them up for me :tup:

marzmarz

Was just reading back through this thread. I’ve been buying Vin-a-clean vinegar in Woolies for a few years now. Went in Friday to get some and it was $2.99 for 2 litres :ohmy: Sure it wasn’t that much before – maybe because everyone is starting to use it (they only had 2 bottles on the shelf). Must have a look in IGA next time I’m in there.

Like when the mouse plague started I couldn’t get peppermint oil coz everyone was using to get rid of mice.

chookenschookens

I thought I would try and make one with lavender heads in it and see how it went. Will let you know in a couple of weeks. :wave:

What does peppermint oil do for mice marz? I havent heard of that being used for mice before and am intrigues as I have heaps of it here. 🙂

Just made a batch of lemon cleaner.Smells good. :tup:

marzmarz

chookens post=320559 wrote: What does peppermint oil do for mice marz? I havent heard of that being used for mice before and am intrigues as I have heaps of it here. 🙂

Apparently you soak cotton balls in it and toss them around the house, behind cupboards etc – the mice don’t like the smell and won’t come in the house :tup:

Didn’t get to try it though as I couldn’t get the oil when we had the mice. Will have to check if it’s in stock anywhere now and stock up for next time. These farmer’s wives are obviously doing ‘the natural things’ that we are still learning about :laugh:

chookenschookens

Thanks Marz will get some cotton balls tomorrow and give it a go. I dont think the mice have been as bad this year as last but am a bit over them at the moment. They are eating the walls

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I have made some of this too and have been very happy with the results. VERY good for cleaning windows 😉

GiannaGianna

marz post=320620 wrote:

What does peppermint oil do for mice marz? I havent heard of that being used for mice before and am intrigues as I have heaps of it here. 🙂

Apparently you soak cotton balls in it and toss them around the house, behind cupboards etc – the mice don’t like the smell and won’t come in the house :tup:

Didn’t get to try it though as I couldn’t get the oil when we had the mice. Will have to check if it’s in stock anywhere now and stock up for next time. These farmer’s wives are obviously doing ‘the natural things’ that we are still learning about :laugh:

This works. I soaked some cotton pads with Peppermint Essential Oil and put them on one shelf in the pantry and it was the only shelf without mouse poo on it. 🙂

Peppermint oil on cotton wool is good for keeping cockroaches away too.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.