Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Homemade citrus oil cleaner

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

I think mudhen and nellymary have started something……… :laugh: My first batch of cleaner is brewing,and a friend gave me a big bucket of mandies today , what perfect timing! :clap: I’m looking forward to all of us trying out the results in a couple of weeks! 🙂

ErthgirlErthgirl

Done!! What a great tip… I’m a big fan of vinegar as a cleaner and can’t wait to try the grease cutting properties of citrus.

I’ve been making a cleaner similar to this with lavender flowers and leaves packed in vinegar… might try a citrus lavender blend when my lavender bush flowers again. :tup:

Thanks NellyMary… and thanks Mudhen.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Erthgirl post=315988 wrote:

I’ve been making a cleaner similar to this with lavender flowers and leaves packed in vinegar… might try a citrus lavender blend when my lavender bush flowers again. :tup:

Oooooh.. thats a splendid idea Erthgirl :tup:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I used mine today to clean the stove and it worked really well, DH came up from working in the gully opened the door, had a smell and asked if we were having sweet and sour tonight :laugh:

nellymarynellymary

I love coming back here to see how everyone is going with this….if you haven’t emailed me a photo of your cleaner, please do so…. npe09777 at bigpond dot net dot au and don’t forget to say what area you live in……I’m just adding your first name and your area beneath your photo……

It’s interesting to see all the different lovely colours and the creative glass jars being used…..

If you’re concerned about the amount of vinegar containers you are going through, why not start using them as cannisters….they even have a built in handle to grab them with an easy pour opening…I use them for rice, small pasta’s and other foods. I also use cordial bottles for the same.

darlsdarls

Well I’ve done one with peels of Lemonade fruit, the vinegary smell disappeared when it was half full of peels! :jawdrop: Even my DH was impressed! :tup:

Check my teralba blogspot for a photo of it anyway.

Do I really have to wait 2 weeks? :dry:

Cheers! :hug:

sweet_psweet_p

What a great idea!

I can’t wait to try this with my lemons, oranges and grapefruit!

Has anyone tried a batch with mixed peel? If so how did it turn out?

nellymarynellymary

for space reasons only…I had to put all my jars in one…and it’s heaps better for me now…I only have one or two jars going at a time….

one for filling…once that one is full, it goes out on the window-sill in the sun…then I start another one…once that is full..the one outside gets strained into a big bottle…and the now full jar…replaces the one I just strained….

ahningahning

My first batch is full, but I’m confused about the 50/50 dilution. Does this mean to add the citrused vinegar to un-citrused white vinegar, or is it diluted with water?

Tks

Ahning :blush:

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

vinegar 🙂

nelly tried the 50/50 with water, but the vinegar worked better

nellymarynellymary

Thanks CC. I’m flat out with mum at the moment…

diannedianne
    Participant

has anyones citrus vinigar gone jellyfied???

I got my SIL to try this out and over at her house the other day and noticed the vinigar at the bottom of the jam had kind of set, like a jelly :shrug:

darlsdarls

I dont have that prob… :shrug: She used organic or washed peels, Dianne?

Only thing I noticed as I did another experiment with this – the first one with lemonade peels, I noted that the colour faded big time, they’re so pale almost white in colour and there’s a shiny and slighty bubbly and bit of film on top of the liquid. Anyway the second one with orange and mandarin peels, but this one with full strength cleaning vinegar. Interesting to see the colour haven’t change nor has the smell! :shrug: I will be taking the lemonade peels out next week and see how I go. Then later checking on the orange peels one to see if there’s a marked difference. For the lemonade peels one I used el cheapo white vinegar.

Cheers! :hug:

BlueWrenBlueWren

darls,can one buy special “cleaning vinegar”?

nellymarynellymary

Interesting, I haven’t heard of anyone’s vinegar jelling…..

I only ever use elcheapo vinegar $1.09 for 2 litres…..my jars are packed full of peel before I strain them too, so there is lots of colour from the oils.

I have been using mandarin too, but I remove those peels when they start to turn a funny colour.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.