Aussies Living Simply

Home made Christmas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    roundthebendroundthebend

These are a couple of “rock paintings” that I make for Christmas presents……..cost a little bit of paint, free rocks and a bit of time. I try and personalize them to the person recieving ie, the little clucky chook for a friend who is now too old to keep some and the rock garden for a flat dweller friend.

Would love people to add to this thread with things you make to give at Christmas………………..even if it’s just ideas:D

ThisildoThisildo
    Participant

I love the rock chook.:lol:

HerbmanHerbman

They are fabulous!!!! They’d make beautiful paper weights 🙂

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Hey roundthebend long time no hear:wave: When you coming down again?

Like the rock art. A couple of years ago I made some wooden boxes out of old fence palings and filled them with garlic cloves from the garden. Hand painted them and glued some local beach pebbles on as handles. They were very popular as Christmas gifts.

Each year I make calendars for a group of friends who I travel and do various things with. The calendars contain photos of those activities.

I stopped buying commercial stuff including cards etc about 10 years ago. I would rather spend the day with friends and/or family and enjoy a great meal. Can’t stand all the crap that goes on around that time.

roundthebendroundthebend

These ones are paper wieghts herbman……………..also do big rocks as door stoppers as welcome signs:)

Hope to get down to Tassy again next year TT, the boxes of garlic sound awsome ( would love someone to give me that for Chrismas as it rots in the ground here) and the themed calenders are a great idea:tup:

kathykathy

Everyone is getting homemade this year .Doing hampers .Beanies, rugs ,Jams and pickles ,lemoncello ,knitted toys am in a flurry of cooking crocheting and knitting and they have all been told they are getting these gifts with lots of love incorporated in them .All seem to like the idea:tup:

osakasuzosakasuz

Freshly ground curry mixes with clear instructions – just add veges or meat.

Planted containers with herbs.

Above ideas are great!

SmileySmiley

I love a homemade Christmas. For the last few years my family has been doing a Kris Kringle but the gifts must be homemade or secondhand. It makes Christmas much less commercial and much more fun. One year my dad got an old ladder from the tip and turned it into a rack to hang my pots and pans on. It’s still one of my favourite gifts. My brothers, who are in their 20s, are the best op-shoppers around and pick up amazing gifts. And last year I made my sister a mosaic house number for her new home.

Of course, I am always on the lookout for new ideas, so am looking forward to all your replies! 😀

bdm6125bdm6125

Ooooh, keep the ideas coming! I am so looking for inspiration!

BlueWrenBlueWren

roundthebend wrote:

These are a couple of “rock paintings” that I make for Christmas presents……..cost a little bit of paint, free rocks and a bit of time. I try and personalize them to the person recieving ie, the little clucky chook for a friend who is now too old to keep some and the rock garden for a flat dweller friend.

Would love people to add to this thread with things you make to give at Christmas………………..even if it’s just ideas:D

Great thread ……thanks for starting it. I WANT that chook!! What kind of paints do you use on the rocks,roundthebend?

I guess you do some kind of base coat first?

Shangri LaShangri La

The rocks are great rtb. Years ago I made some salt dough decorations with my kids and I still have a couple of them somewhere.

Here is a recipe. I can’t remember what mine was but i did give them a coat of diluted PVA glue to seal them after they were baked. Also, i’m sure I wouldn’t have baked them for 2 hours – that seems rather excessive.

http://crafts.kaboose.com/saltdoughgifttoppers.html

<a href="

ttp://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=salt+dough+christmas+ornaments&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=G-q6TJ2YOpGmvgOzjr3mDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CCUQsAQwAQ&biw=1302&bih=936

“>

ttp://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=salt+dough+christmas+ornaments&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=G-q6TJ2YOpGmvgOzjr3mDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CCUQsAQwAQ&biw=1302&bih=936

roundthebendroundthebend

Hi Bluewren, I give the rocks a good scrub and a coat of outdoor acrylic then paint them with artists acrylic………………….becouse thats what I had on hand:lol: When dry I coat with a watered down pva glue that drys clear and glue on a small piece of felt on the bottom so the rocks dont scratch.

HerbmanHerbman

RTB wrote: also do big rocks as door stoppers as welcome signs

Ooh, I like that idea. I think I might steal it from you as something I can do to personalise my home … I have a big front door with no stopper on it because the whole entry to my home is glass. I might make myself one as a Christmas present.

TT wrote: A couple of years ago I made some wooden boxes out of old fence palings and filled them with garlic cloves from the garden. Hand painted them and glued some local beach pebbles on as handles. They were very popular as Christmas gifts.

Hey TT – here’s a silly question but a serious one – what kind of paint did you use?

I have some old off-cuts from sleepers and your wood boxes has given me an idea about how I might use them decoratively instead of leaving them lying around. But I honestly don’t know what kind of paint I would use on them (I’m a beginner at this creative stuff).

weaverweaver

My DS (now 16) made a rock paper weight for his Daddy for Christmas when he was a toddler. It went to work with DH and was rocknapped by his colleagues ;)and then travelled the world each time someone went away the rock went too and a photo of it would appear:p. This went on for years. The rock lived in the ceiling cavity and was a work place legend for more than 10 years. It was one of those gifts that just went on giving!!!!!:D

luvinluvin

i am making bunny blankies transformed into reindeers,for all the babes

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/50722.html?r=1

potholders with hanging pouch to keep them in

piccie on my blog

demolition girl and miss fish bomb are gettting kitchens made from bedside chests

i got old cake tins and gave them a coat of paint,added a apron and hat,potholders.wooden spoons

joesph is getting handkitted dinosaurs with a dinosaur cave i am making out of wine rack and offcuts of poly pipe

my dd has requested a vintage pinup 50’s style dress

also tees with snap on capes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.