Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Highest Quality Garden Tools Available?

Home Forums Regional Groups Western Australia Highest Quality Garden Tools Available?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I did a search for similar threads but couldn’t find what I was looking for so…

If money was no object, who makes the best garden tools?

I’d like a spade, shovel, fork, mattock etc

and secateurs, loppers, pruning saw etc

plus hand tools (trowels and such).

I was planning on Felco for the pruning stuff but then quite a bit of what I have read recently says they are overrated and not as well built as they used to be. Are they still considered top dog or are there better ones?

I am looking for durability in everything. If I can never buy another tool, I want the one that I have to last forever (or as close to as possible). So not necessarily looking for best-value-for-money. If I hypothetically have an infinite budget, what is THE BEST I can get?

Is Cyclone brand good for shovels and spades? They are the only brand my local hardware stores carries for that stuff. Spear and Jackson? I’ve read that Dewit is super awesome – are they the best?

I’ve been trying to buy garden tools for ages but I don’t want to buy something that “does the job’ now and find our later that there are higher quality tools out there that I COULD have bought.

Input please?

S.O.PS.O.P

A thread relevant to my interests. I’m in the market for a new shovel.

As for the Felco stuff, where did you read that? I’ve seen old and new Felco 2’s and they don’t seemed to have changed much, if at all. Felco 2 there, perhaps ARS as a substitute.

For my pruning go-to kit, do what the pros do, a good pair of seccies on a holster, a 270-300mm handsaw (few brands to choose from there, Silky, ARS, Wolf and many more) from your belt and a polesaw. Loppers are moot as you can handsaw anything that a lopper can do, or polesaw anything out of reach. Unless you are cutting up larger pieces into smaller pieces on the ground, then loppers come in handy.

http://www.forestrytools.com.au/ has some VERY expensive tools if you want to use that as a benchmark and work your way back?

Spear and Jackson are better regarded than Cyclone but off-shoring changes all that with any company. They build up a reputation for solid stuff, off-shore to save costs or cheapen materials and then ride the coattails of their name until bankruptcy. Research is needed on anything.

One tool that is basically unbreakable is a ‘Gundaroo Tiller’, associated with All-sun (who also have interesting garden tools on their website). I have one and it is one heavy-duty piece of kit. The order process wasn’t great but it was a poor time of year for it.

XioXio

Something dear to my heart.

I’ve made gardening & fencing gear over the years & it will still be serviceable in another 100 years. Usually it’s a bit too heavy for delicate flowers.

The local Bunnings & Mitre10 have banned me because I test their equipment in the shops & it’s found profoundly inferior.

I’ve also bought from http://www.digadoo.com.au/default.aspx

I like their gear & it is the best I’ve come across. Not cheap but will last forever.

Xio

SnagsSnags

The old stuff you see in the second hand shop, garage sale or your dad or granddads shed is usually the best.

Its already put in 50 odd years and you can tell its got another 50 in it.

SnagsSnags

S.O.P post=353595 wrote:

http://www.forestrytools.com.au/ has some VERY expensive tools if you want to use that as a benchmark and work your way back?

They certainly have a fair mark up.

Might be worth it for having a look and buying elsewhere on some things.

http://www.forestrytools.com.au/index.php?id=571 $350

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/?_nkw=Blomus+AGUO+Stainless+Steel+Plant+Rose+Watering+Can

or $201.66 on Ebay

S.O.PS.O.P

That’s funny, Snags. When someone posted the Forestry Tools link on another forum, I made a statement about that watering can. Something like,”$350?! TAKE ALL MY MONEY!”.

SnagsSnags

It is a very sexy watering can ….makes my plastic one look very ordinary

must admit I was hoping for $20 one on ebay out of china when I googled it.

BelBel

I got a Haws metal watering can and dutch hoe for Christmas which I looove. They are excellent quality. DH got them from this site: GardenWare My Fiskars pruners have lasted years too.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Dirty_Parsnips post=353592 wrote:

I was planning on Felco for the pruning stuff but then quite a bit of what I have read recently says they are overrated and not as well built as they used to be. Are they still considered top dog or are there better ones?

Input please?

I have felco secateurs.. they’re great. So far they’ve lasted around 5 years.

Thanks for that link Bel :tup:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.