Aussies Living Simply

Hi there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Miaowzen

Hi, I’m Miaowzen, so named because I love cats 🙂 that’s my Norwegian Forest cat pictured on my lap, we have two of those.

About a year or so ago I was living in an apartment in Melbourne fighting like cats and dogs with DH because we couldn’t afford the rent unless we both worked full time and I was sick of being in front of a computer. I wanted a garden and animals!

So we packed up in the end, and moved back to Adelaide and did a year of house sitting various people’s cats and dogs for a rent and utility bill free lifestyle. It was fun for a while but soon we wanted to settle, and at Christmas we bought our own place. We bought somewhere small but with a garden so that I could live my dream of being largely self sufficient in food.

Since then, while DH has been continuing to work in IT (which is his thing) I’ve been growing a garden, renovating the house, making herbal remedies, doing art and craft, cooking and looking after our own animals. I’m getting some chickens next week and I’ve been eating organic greens from my garden and local weeds every day since we moved in in February. I’m quite enjoying it and finding that it’s no problem living on just one income anymore.

penny

Welcome, you will find a lot of friendly and helpful advice here

Miaowzen

Thanks! I find that people don’t really understand what I’m doing; family members want to know when I’m going to have a job again and yada yada. DH is happy that I’m happy, but doesn’t want to talk about anything other than computers, so I come along to the forums for a sense of community and friendship 🙂

karyn26

Hi Miaowzen,you’ll find plenty of like-minded people on here,I doubt you’ll get lonely or bored.

Enjoy your time with us.

BlueWren

I feel we know you a bit already from your other posts,miaowzen. It sounds as though you two made a good decision , and all the best with your plans.

Jenoka77

Hi Miaowzen, my name is Jo I’ve had farming in my blood all my life. Its been more conventional farming that my farmily has done. I live on my families farm. Its a nice size property and I’m slowly adding my style of simple living to it. I’m a single mum of 3 preteens. I’m using sustainability to save money and hopefully achieve a small market garden over the next few years. I really appreciate your replies and knowledge so far. Herbs and natural remedies are high on my to do list. Don’t worry about what others say or think about your new lifestyle. I fought against my true self for many years to please those around me. I ended up miserable. I’m happy and content now. I just tell people I’m becoming a modern hippy, they laugh then leave me alone to do as I please now.

If its you, do it

Miaowzen

Thnks for replying everyone, nice to meet you! It’s pretty new to me, but I’m always happy when there is a wide variety of work to be done. Today I completely embarrassed poor DH by making him pop into the local dump on the way home. They were just about to crush a lawn mower catcher so I saved it just in time; I was looking for one for a laying box. He just shook his head and said most people go to the dump to drop things off, not to pick stuff up. Ha ha! Got to think outside the box sometimes.

I am enjoying this forum a lot. I started up on a different permaculture forum recently but found there was a fair bit of bickering and censorship on there. I like the vibe here and everyone seems so friendly.

Andre
    Keymaster

Hi there Miaowzen …

as others have said, this is an interesting site with many great people.

I’m sure you will find like-minded individuals.. and get heaps of advice and info.

:whistle:

Hummer
    Keymaster

Hello Mioawzen.. welcome to ALS :wave:

Ravyk

Welcome Mioawzen! I’m sure you will really enjoy the forum and hopefully some of the catch ups we occasionally have in Adelaide.

Love your kitties! . That breed is on my list of ‘to own one day’.

BlueWren

Way to go with the mower catcher – good find,they make the best nest boxes. :clap: DH won’t mind when you start giving him fresh eggs – so hope he likes eggs!

This is a friendly, caring forum , bickering is rare …….but leg pulling?? :laugh: Look out for Steve!!

Bobbee

Hi Miaowzen, :wave:

It’s nice to meet you. This is a very friendly site with oodles of info available on search or just ask, some one will point you in the right direction.

:wave:

narelleh

welcome!

you will find more of us on here who live on one income and do more than just exist – money does not beget everything in life :wave:

Miaowzen

I like everyone here already, just the right combination of humour and sensibilities :hug: :laugh:

I definitely recommend the Norwegian kitties, but they are so hard to train because they like water so the squirter bottle to get them off the benches doesn’t work. They respond well to clicker though, but that doesn’t stop them running off with the celery being rinsed in the sink, and leaving wet footprints and bits of vegetables in the bed!!! :laugh:

Looking forward to any meet ups and good convos :tup:

Ravyk

Hehehe! I think one of the things that drew me to the Norwegians was their love of water. But unfortunately it will be a few years before I can get a cat, one of my dogs would kill a cat given half a chance and it’s not fair on her [or a cat] to bring one into my home just yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.