Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Helping the less fortunate

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Think Tank Helping the less fortunate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    AirgeadAirgead

Hi Folks

A lot of discussions recently have touched on the issue of how the less fortunate in our society are being left behind in efforts to reduce our carbon intensity (and just left behind in general). When you are struggling to buy food, there is little left for more efficient appliances or solar power.

The poor often end up spending more than the well off on basic things as they have to buy cheap rather than quality. Cheap then wears out and needs replacing more often. Terry Pratchett put it best –

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes ‘Boots’ theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

So what can we, as a community do? Let me stress – what can WE as a COMMUNITY do. Us. Not the government. I’m sure there are plenty of ideas around that we could start implementing right now, in our communities if we can get enough heads together to make them happen.

I’ll throw out a few ideas to get people thinking –

[ul]

[li]Community power schemes[/li]

[li]Community lending/Microlending[/li]

[li]Small business startup assistance[/li]

[li]Food sharing[/li]

[li]Land sharing[/li]

[li]Community tool/appliance/stuff loan or hire – colaborative consumption[/li]

[/ul]

Cheers

Dave

IdunaIduna

I think re-educating people on wants vs need would be a good one too, not just about items but use and children.

Any way this is a newish website but its about foraging, and you can also list excess food you may be growing for sale or what may be for sale by other growers around where you live.

Ripe Near Me

SnagsSnags

Great thread

add to the list

Seed sharing

Skill sharing

A community garden is a great place to share,swap and network.

Great story last week on Gardening Australia with people sharing their fruit trees over multiple backyards.

Budgeting and financial advice wouldn’t go astray

People make bad financial decisions that get them into a debt cycle that is almost impossible to break.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

page not found Iduna

IdunaIduna

Should be fixed now.

AirgeadAirgead

Another one that O should have put in my original post – Freecycle

There are local groups everywhere and its a great way to get stuff (or get rid of stuff).

Cheers

Dave

BobbeeBobbee

We have a number of community gardens throughout the Yarra Valley and now have large apple boxes planted out with edible greens along the main street in at least one of the towns.

The boxes have signs on them inviting the public to weed, water or in whatever way nurture the plants and then to feel free to harvest them for the table when the plants are mature enough.

There are also many opportunities offered by various community groups for folk to learn about vegie gardening for themselves and to take part in the groups work if folk are so inclined.

Along the same lines are classes in things like cheese making, soap making, cheap but healthy family meals etc etc

It is possible to be given food parcels and/or vouchers, also basic home necessities like beds, fridges, kitchen utensils and clothing from a variety of groups working to help the poor in our communities.

Local business like bakeries donate their day old bread, rolls and buns to local charities where they are available to be picked up a for no cost at all, on couple of days per week. Folk just need to show their pension card.

There is Meals on Wheels for very little cost, similarly house cleaning and basic gardening assistance available also, I believe, for a small charge.

I know we live in a very caring community but surely at least some of these things are available throughout communities all over Australia.

I am interested to hear from others if this is so or not.

🙂

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

With the meals on wheels, house cleaning and gardening, a person needs to qualify for those services. Just been going through this process with my mother. The person undergoes an “aged care assessment” kind of thing which takes into account the person’s ability to care for his/herself.

jaden62jaden62

Thanks for that. I’ve just registered with Ripe Near Me. I don’t have a lot at the moment, but what I do have is things that my family isn’t eating much of.

Also, I’ll be moving house soon (I hope) & will be setting up new gardens, so may have more to give away/sell.

RobyneRobyne

We have a food bank at our school, only the ones with the school card get it.

I know some people who are working doing it really tough but arent’ intitled.

I saw one the other day drive up in a brand new car and pick up her food boxes.

The rest rather spend the money they get form the government on drugs or booze.

My sons X gets $300 voucher for food from the government each week,

plus she gets the food boxes from the school.

I am all for helping people but it should go to people how need real help like the pensioners, and needy people

IdunaIduna

Well we can start by helping those we know might need it instead, even if it’s just with knowledge and a few seeds, maybe information on the soil they have or information on where to get set up gardening items for cheap.

Anonymous

we share excess already, gave lots of tomato seedlings away last year

take care

len

SnagsSnags

gardenlen post=356737 wrote:

yet more power price rises on top of carbon tax failure.

take care

len

Next power price rise is 22% and its to do with Newman Governments failure to deliver cost of living cuts nothing to do with carbon tax

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-electricity-prices-to-rise-20130531-2ng00.html

Anonymous

you can target politics all we say is the poor will pay for ever.

oh! almost forgot will krud again sell his integrity short??

len

SnagsSnags

We obviously cant forget about politics because all you can say Len is the Carbon tax is the problem and that’s clearly not true

This thread is about helping the unfortunate do you have any suggestions.

I suggest education on were our real cost of living pressures come from ,because its obvious some people have no idea and cut off their nose to spite their face.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.