Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Help with new piglets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    COBCOB

Our gilt had 12 piglest early this morning and we’re concerned she may be a bit rough with them. This is the first time we have had piglets so our knowledge about the breeding is limited.

Everything went well with the births as far as I can see. Each time the piglets try to feed the pig will get up and move after only a short time It seems her patience is wearing thin with them already, she has tossed a couple of them aside, though none are hurt at this stage.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal behaviour for a first time mother and that we should leave her alone to settle or should we be doing something else.

We have had her since a piglet and she is normally a very well natured girl. I’m just not sre how the new mother should act.

Thanks in advance

BlueWrenBlueWren

COB – no answer for you but try shooting a pm to mauzi.She would know for sure but is not often on here.A pm would show up in her email.baringa park would know too – is that a user name not sure? Definitely the name of their piggery which may have a contact spot.

I have a friend who has free range pigs and breeds too.Also a very busy person but I’ll see if I can passs your query to her.

Done.I will come back with any response.

COBCOB

Thankyou BlueWren.

I have phoned the vet but not a lot of help. Just said put them on a supplement. I have taken a bucket of one of our cow’s colostrom out of the freezer as I’ve heard that it can be used for piglets as well and we will buy some supplement just in case. At the moment the pig still seems uninterested in the piglets. We’ll keep trying with her and perhaps the supplement as well.

COBCOB

Well we bought the bag of supplement, got the colostrom from the freezer and warmed it up, went back to the pig and it wasn’t needed as she has started feeding them. So happy.

BlueWrenBlueWren

:tup: :clap: Hope it all goes smoothly from now on.Pic please………..if possible.

I guess twelve little pink things running around would have been a bit of a surprise for the mum.I did google bottle feeding orphaned piglets…………you would have had your hands full…….. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

VickieVickie

Wow, you would have been very busy feeding all those little piggies! what good news that mummy picked up 🙂

COBCOB

Hope I’ve done this right. I’ve attached some pictures of some of the new arrivals.

Attached files

mudhenmudhen

Aren’t they gorgeous!

We have had many piglet litters and I would say your sow’s behaviour to be normal for first time mothering. Pigs are such bad mother’s it’s a wonder the piglets survive and a natural survival trait that they have so many in my opinion.

The only thing I would suggest is not peeking so much next time…Sow’s get grumpy when there are onlookers and we have found it best to leave them alone with enough food and water for at least two days to maximise piglet survival. It is generally US that causes them to get up all the time and this is when piglets can be stepped on (the original reason for farrowing pens). Leaving them be the way they should be is the best way and your sow will be much better with the next lot – just smile at the fact that mothering is not an easy task for any of us, especially the first time! 😆

Sow’s often push their piglets out of the way, especially as they grow bigger and start to share her food and it can be heart-stopping to watch their big feet around all those babies which is another good reason not to watch!!!

That said I TOTALLY understand with your first litter – piglets are so SUPER CUTE it’s hard not to peek! :whistle:

COBCOB

Thankyou for your advice Simplynatural. Much appreciated.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Someone responding on ALS to your original query said the fussy behaviour of pig mothers just after birthing may have something to do with expelling all the afterbirth.

Those babies are sooooooooooo cute!!

jaydatoojaydatoo

congratulations! So cute. I like the advice to leave them be for a few days…exactly what I wanted to happen to me after I birthed my babies!

VickieVickie

jaydatoo. i agree.. with my second baby i told everyone no visitors ..no-one was very happy with me. But after having my first it was hard to rest with people coming in and out.

Such great pictures of the piggies, thanks for sharing, my 4 year old loved the spots!

baringaparkbaringapark

Glad everything has resolved so well for you 🙂

COBCOB

Thank you everyone. The piglets are now two weeks old. Eleven in total. One didn’t make it past the first day. Yesterday we let them all out of their yard and they had a great time following their mum around very happily. Mum seems very contented and settled.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.