Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Help please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    diannedianne
    Participant

Hi all, well I have a huge ask.
    Since buying our place money is really tight and I have been trying to start my veg garden but all the seeds I had been collecting are not germinating. :-/
    I think they may be to old, so I am asking if anyone has some extra seeds they can spare to help get me started again. Any of the basic veg or herbs would be much appreciated.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I will see what I have and the PM you.

SnagsSnags

I feel your pain I just planted heaps of my seeds with not much luck too….They got too old and probably too hot.

diannedianne
    Participant

Thank you so much bell. I is so disappointing when you hear about seed banks and things keeping seeds for 10 or more years but yours didn’t even last a couple.

SnagsSnags

Ive got nowhere to keep mine dark and cool and a lot of going away meant there was years between plantings

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

My DD gave me a lot of seeds on the weekend.Dianne PM me your address and I will send you some seeds. If you would like some too Snags there are enough to go around.

SnagsSnags

Thanks heaps for the offer…….but I just ordered the winter basics from ebay a few days ago….Im going to try and keep it simpler and see if I can store it all in a dark plastic box in the fridge…..at the moment I had a giant see through plastic storage box full under the house….I will keep trying to plant and see what sprouts from that….Im bound to get enough to just continue to collect some seed.

diannedianne
    Participant

Thanks bell, snags – do you find it cheeper to buy from ebay or are you just not buying from big business?

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

a reasonably priced company is “the seed collection”

SnagsSnags

Theres a few organic heirloom people on ebay that Ive bought/buy from its a $1 to $1.5 with postage of a $1 or $2 combined so I spend about $10 or 15 and get lots of seeds….I got snow and sugar snap peas, beans purple green and yellow, cucumber, corn, red spring onion,leeks and zucchini….the garden has 5 year old capsicums still producing, last years sprouting broccoli is still sprouting and so is the Tuscan kale,heaps of 1 year old chillies,peanuts self seed so does basil,cos lettuce, snake beans, jicama, rocket and tomatoes and the eggplant is a year old and sweet potato is taking over,potatoes are doing well, so is heaps of passion fruits self seeded and paw paw and heaps of broad beans, that I bought to make falafel and planted half….Also have heaps of herbs all the usuals……just failed with radish ,carrots,beetroot, parsnips ,leaks, beans, peas, coriander, cucumber, corn.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

don’t throw them out, use them as green manure

SnagsSnags

So far not 1 sprouted,I will try again next week

diannedianne
    Participant

Received my letter today, thank you so much, will more than get me started.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

my pleasure, enjoy your gardening

SnagsSnags

Excellent news…..may they grow to abundance….Im going to re try my old ones latter in the week between stone masonry…see if anything pops up this time….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.