Aussies Living Simply

Help! Mosquitos are eating me alive!

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING This Simple Life Help! Mosquitos are eating me alive!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    KristyKristy

Has anyone got tried and proven ways to prevent mosquito’s biting or getting rid of them?

I was out sitting with the chickens for about 10-15 mins and both feet covered in bites, and they often bite through my clothes as well, or get in somehow.

It’s really disappointing as the nice weather is coming, so are the mosquito’s and I can’t sit outside.

Even tried a mosquito net one night, but they managed to get in somehow, I am wondering if they got up through the decking.

I’ve done a little research and the best solution seems to get a couple of bats, as they eat up to 500 mosquito’s an hour lol…

karyn26karyn26

You can buy mozzie bangles from the chemist they stock heaps of different mozzie repellants even sticky dots you put on your clothes.

Have you tried those mozzie candles for the verandah.

Not looking forward to the mozzies they just love me too

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

soory not much help, but up here they were bad last year, so I sat outside with a mozzie coil, one of those things that you burn, and they keep them away from me

before I got them, I used to sit in my hammock and get eaten

KristyKristy

karyn26 post=325662 wrote: You can buy mozzie bangles from the chemist they stock heaps of different mozzie repellants even sticky dots you put on your clothes.

Have you tried those mozzie candles for the verandah.

Not looking forward to the mozzies they just love me too

I tried the mozzie bangles once, but didn’t help at all when I was camping, still got eaten alive 🙁 I will have to try the mozzie candles and see if they help. My decking is going to be fort nox with mozzie repellants, candles etc…

soory not much help, but up here they were bad last year, so I sat outside with a mozzie coil, one of those things that you burn, and they keep them away from me

I have used the mozzie coils before when camping, I can’t remember if they helped or not, but I am very happy to give it a try at my house and see what happens. Anything is better then itching myself red raw 🙁

flwilliamsflwilliams

Hi Kristy,

I don’t have a preventer of mosquitos biting, but I swear by my mosquito bite zapper, which you put over the bite and click about 15 times. It basically sends an electric spark through the bite, which denatures the protein that the mosquitos inject when they bite. Swelling and irritation gone within minutes. Sounds fearsome, but works! I got mine from a camping store, but I saw KMart had them last year.

cheers

Fiona

RinelleRinelle

I’ve heard of people making a natural repellant from lemongrass. Never tried it myself, but it did inspire me to plant some lemongrass….

KristyKristy

flwilliams post=325666 wrote: Hi Kristy,

I don’t have a preventer of mosquitos biting, but I swear by my mosquito bite zapper, which you put over the bite and click about 15 times. It basically sends an electric spark through the bite, which denatures the protein that the mosquitos inject when they bite. Swelling and irritation gone within minutes. Sounds fearsome, but works! I got mine from a camping store, but I saw KMart had them last year.

cheers

Fiona

I have seen them, but I am always hesitant to buy something until I know it does actually work. I might see if kmart has any tomorrow… I can see I am going to need something!

Thanks Fiona 🙂

flwilliamsflwilliams

No Probs Kirsty,

Mosquitos love my son and I but leave my daughter quite untouched! I would not survive without my zapper!

cheers

fiona 🙂

SilentSilent

I have no idea if this works or not but…

I like to leave containers of shallow water around to encourage the mozzies to lay eggs. I empty them once a week to prevent the mozzies maturing. Hopefully, this will reduce their numbers.

As cruel as it sounds, my daughter is my mozzie repellant. If she’s around, they eat her alive but don’t touch me.

Those zappers sound like a good idea though. May get one to treat DD.

DH wants to plant citronella everywhere. Not sure it will keep them at bay though.

fruitfulfruitful

a simple solution to stop itching bites is to smear a bit of vegemite on the bite, it works although it does look a bit funny when you are covered in black dots.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Hi Kristy

Not sure if this will help, and it is a long-term solution, not a quick fix.

Not sure where your mozzies are coming from. Is there a water-source nearby? If so, can you put fish in it,? Or, make a small pond to encourage them to lay eggs and stock it with an indigenous fish species to eat the larvae.

Plants… plant beds of echinacea, pyrethrum and other known plants that deter mozzies, and/or encourage plans that promote birds and insect-eating insects.

The mozzie coils work fine for me. No idea about the bangles.

Does insect repellant lotion offend? Those would be my short term solutions.

Good luck :tup:

KristyKristy

Fruitful the vegeimite sounds interesting thanks 🙂

Andre not sure where they are coming from, maybe my septic system vent, which is open. I did read about covering in shade cloth or fly screen. I wonder if that would help…

I will definitely try planting all those plants…

Mozzie coils are on my list of things to buy!!!

Insect repellant lotion/spray etc, doesn’t offend I guess, never liked, but if it is going to stop me from being eaten I will use.

What type of repellant do you use?

weaverweaver

Mosquitos absolutely love my DD and she swells really badly when she is bitten. We have used the citronella bracelets from the chemist. They come in packs of 2 and she wears one on her ankle and one on her wrist and they seem to work. You can then put them in a sealed plastic bag and they work again and again. We also have the mozzie clickers and they are wonderful, they take away the itch and prevent the swelling. Mind you when you use them on your fingers it is not the most comfortable experience 😉

VanessaVanessa

Good luck with this issue. I feel your pain (and itch!!!)

If you are going for natural I have found that a couple of drops of lemon grass essential oil in olive oil, mixed together and burnt as a candle works quite well see this thread for a bit more info. Similarly a drop or two on a tea light candle may also work, I havent tried this though.

As for personal repellent I haven’t found that anything works as well as Aeroguard, RID, or Off. Off is probably the least “nasty” of these as it doesn’t have DEET. I like RID because it also soothes bites. I had seen on old cans that it was marketed as a first aid spray, to spray on bites and stings to relieve the stinging itching and it does actually work. And then as my other half says Aeroguard smells like camping!!

As for an area spray I can recommend Coopex, again not particularly, natural or environmentally friendly but it does work. And probably a lot more friendly compared to other products which are on the market these days. (I think the active ingredient is the same as in Advantix the dog spot on flea treatment) We spray it around our veranda, walls and around the windows and where insects land (roof), and it does make a difference to the amount of mosquitoes we get in the area.

Good luck,

If you find something natural that works please let us know, I have tried heaps and always end up reverting to the tried and true (not so natural) methods, because I get so fed up with the itching!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.