Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Hello from near Cawongla Northern Rivers NSW.

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Hello from near Cawongla Northern Rivers NSW.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mkc2862mkc2862

Hi all. I joined the site back in 2009 when we bought our block of land here near Kyogle. Last year we moved onto the block and after living in the shed for 3 months, finally moved into our new built steel framed house. Now, 12 months later, the ‘we’ has become ‘me’ as my wife decided she wanted out of our marriage. So! Now here I am with a new mortgage, a 3 bedroom home, on 5 acres and long nights to pass. Today I planted pumpkin and water melon seeds on high ground slopes facing north. I’ve also put boards around the veggie patch which I will need to refill with dirt because the new border is bigger than the old patch my now ex established last year.
    Anyhow, the nights are agonisingly long and quiet so I will probably be checking in often. Are the any/many Northern Rivers members? I’m looking to make some friends, even if it is only online.
    Cheers, Michael

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Hi Michael, welcome to ALS. I’m just over the border from you in SE Qld.

mkc2862mkc2862

Hi Steve. It’s a nice area right through SE Qld and Northern Rivers. We’re getting some much needed rain and already the grass is greening up nicely.
    Regards,
    Michael

I’m just up the “hill” from you Steve, lovely area Kyogle but was still a bit too sticky in summer for me so choose the cool country.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

That is the cool country RTB, especially in the last week or two. You’d be seven or eight hundred metres above sea level wouldn’t you?

Nearly 1000meters Steve…………………must have had a brain freeze in the cold as was saying hello to Michael but good to say hello to you too 🙂

BobbeeBobbee

Hello Michael,

Nice to meet you.  Funny how life throws us a curved ball every now and again.
    Take care,
    Bobbs
    mkc2862mkc2862

Hi all. I got busy and haven’t checked for a week it so. Have ordered a native bee hive and 2 point of lay hens. I’ve also been reading about cob building.
    We had 3 chooks last year but dingoes got them. They seem to have moved on but I will keep a close eye on the chooks when they are out anyway. We’re getting a bit of rain. My tanks are near full and they should keep me going for quite a while with just myself here.

mkc2862mkc2862

My block from Google maps.

AshilleongAshilleong

Cool! We’re moving to near Murwillumbah in December. Maybe we should have a SEQ/Northern Rivers meetup?

trandtotrandto

Howdy, we’re a little further south outside Grafton near the Nymboida Rv.  We’re up at Kyogle around Boxing Day to buy up trees a Daley’s Nursery for their discount sale

Haven’t updated our blog for a long time but
    AshilleongAshilleong

I didn’t know they have a Boxing Day sale! Thanks trandto.

mkc2862mkc2862

Hi all, I cancelled the native hive to think about honey bees. My two chooks have just started laying this week. I have 8 eggs already since Sunday. Rain has been disappointing. A few light showers, storms float by without dropping much. Koalas close by. I heard the males at night.

arentyoucutearentyoucute

Hey there everyone!  I actually live in the Bexhill/Eltham area. So, not so far from all of you! 

mkc2862mkc2862

Hello again, and hello ‘cute. One chook mysteriously died, I suspect being egg bound. I uncancelled the native beehive. I’m off to Lennox heads to pick it up this afternoon after work. I have 50 baby trees to plant. River red, tallow woods and swamp mahoganies. All koala friendly. Settlement has gone through do I’m the sole owner of my block now. Ex about to move out. The weather had turned hot too. A few changes to deal with. Might set some women traps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.