Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Hello from Cairns

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Introduce yourself Hello from Cairns

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi all, I’m from Smithfield in Cairns and am very interested in the slow food movement and self sufficiency of all sorts. I love op-shops and making my own pickles, preserves and jams whenever I find cheap produce at Rusties! I also have some chickens at home and am interested in growing lots of herbs, but haven’t exactly gotten around to that yet as we just moved house about four months ago. :cheer:

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Hi Little Chief, welcome to ALS! :wave:

It’s great to have you join us… 🙂

lavmanlavman

Hi Littlechief and welcome, am I missing something? what do you mean by the slow food movement?

Cheers

Kev

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

:wave: Littlechief, welcome to ALS, you’ll find lots of info on all your interests here.

Kev, I think the slow food movement is about eating local & seasonal foods, getting back to how food use to be (Please correct me if Im wrong anyone )

BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

Hi thelittlechief,

It’s nice to meet you.

I think you’re right bl. Slow foods as apposed to fast foods ie fish and chips and maccas sort of stuff Kev. Home cooked from the basics instead of out of tins and refined and packaged stuff. You know the sort of thing!!!!!!!

Happy day,

Bobbs :hug: :hug:

lavmanlavman

Thanks BL & Bobbs,

I feel like a bit of a dill now, didn’t draw the parallel between fast food and slow food :blink: not sure about the slow food movement part though, I think a movement is more likely to happen after eating fast food. :whistle:

Kev

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

lavman post=319698 wrote: Thanks BL & Bobbs,

I feel like a bit of a dill now, didn’t draw the parallel between fast food and slow food :blink: not sure about the slow food movement part though, I think a movement is more likely to happen after eating fast food. :whistle:

Kev

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gremmblesgremmbles

Welcome from down the road at El Arish.

It’s a wonderful time of year in the far north. So many fresh veges.

sue esue e

welcome! 🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

Welcome to ALS.

Here’s a link re the Slow Food Movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Food

Hi, sorry I didn’t realise maybe that was just a term I’ve been hearing alot lately, yep you guys got it right though, it’s all about home-cooking and eating locally – eg. not buying tomatoes in winter because they aren’t from your region etc. I find it’s generally easy to do this by going to local markets and buying what’s on special, because that usually guarantees that it’s local and in abundance.

Oh and an update – I said we didn’t have any herbs growing, well yesterday our neighbour just came over and gave us some tomato seedlings she had sown herself, so we’re onto a good start I’ll try to post pictures of things sometime soon.

Everyone seems so nice on here! :cheer:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.