Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Hello everyone

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

How is everyone going?
    In my world we are still in drought,I am hoping for good autumn/winter rains to fill the tanks and to see water in the dam would be a novel experience.
    I am holding off planting/sewing seeds and seedlings until the ground is at least damp. Has anyone grown native plums? I have 2 treelings in pots at present and was wondering when would be the best time to put them in the ground?

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Hi ballamara,
    I hope you get some decent rain soon we’ve had a bit but not enough to fill the dam. I’ve got lots of trees to goin but waiting till we have enough water.
    We’ve been so busy this is the first chance I’ve had to check in here.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

No rain at all.It is getting to be a big worry.The sheep farmers around us have been feeding out for two years if not more. We sure could do with a good down pour. On the bright side we haven’t had to get the ride on mower out, better check it and see if the old girl will still start.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I’m trying to send it to you but it wont listen to me, we’ve been getting mizzle more mist than drizzle can’t do anything outside the grass and weeds are getting away from me….. Why is it weeds and grass only need to smell rain and they grow??

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

We finally got a bit of rain this week. I don’t think I will plant out any veggies just yet though.One thing is for sure the weeds will come up now lol

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Looks like Winter is here, we haven’t had a frost yet but the temps have dropped last few mornings 1.5°C.
    I have been busy the last few days in the garden planting seedlings of silverbeet and broccoli and taking cuttings of pepino, mugwort and wormwood took some about 10 days ago and they already have roots if more than what I need strike I’ll take them to the “Share” we have once a month.
    I still have my fingers crossed for you ballamara.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

We have finally had a drop of rain, still don’t think I will plant any winter veggies just yet though.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Hi ballamara…
    How are you? I hope you’ve had some rain. We’ve been busy here chopping wood to get enough wood put aside, have to find another wood stove saw some really nice ones in Toowoomba a chap down there does them up just have to save.
    We haven’t had much rain but it is so cold 8.30pm and its already -3°C so will be a white Winter wonderland in the morning.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Thankfully we have had a bit of rain and now the dam is half full. Wood cutting is a never ending job here over winter as DH doesn’t like using the chain saw over summer especially when it was so dry.
    I haven’t planted many winter veg as I was waiting for the rain but a few broad beans have come up. The runner/bush beans and peas haven’t germinated at all, maybe the seeds were to old.
    We have had a few cold mornings ,not many frosts though as we are on a hillside and the frosts seem to stay down in the valley mostly.

dierichdierich
    Participant

Hi people, its been a long time since I spent most nights checking the happenings on ALS! Found the link when I was looking for something else so thought I’d pop in and say hi. Back then, I was just making the move from suburbia to 2 acres in a small town an hour from Adelaide. 8 lovely years there and we upsized to around 30 acres just out of McLaren Vale. We (husband and furkid Cooper the stumpy ACD) have a few cows and an expanding orchard (most now 5 years old) and vegie garden. The netting cover has been promised to me for 3 years and is nearly complete lol. I can’t wait for spring to spring to get the new beds planted up, hopefully its not too far away as I am over the freezing cold we’ve had of late.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Good to hear from you again dierich. Your farmlet sounds like it is coming along nicely.Netting is a great help here mainly over the fruit tree orchard.

foodiefoodie
    Participant

Just hoping to keep the most recent thread alive !! after a third dry winter the drought has caught up with us too. I’ve down sized to only growing annuals in my 3 wicking beds, and diverting all grey water to 10 fruit trees , berries and a couple of grape vines. After spending a week in mt Gambier where its green and up to knee height in grass, I’m suffering with green envy.
    cheers 😉

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I do so understand foodie, about the green envy that is. Every thing up here is brown and dry.The dam looks very sad and I think it will be empty by Christmas. I am not growing anything this year all available water is going to keep the trees alive also.
    Being an eternal optimists we have just bought a new 45.000 liter tank for when it does rain again. My thinking was at least a tank(less evaporation) is better than having the dam cleaned out on the off chance it will fill,as it cost about the same.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Sorry I’ve been awol but the past 6 months has been crazy, checking up on family in Brisbane, hubby being sick and back and forth to Drs and now it is my turn for Drs.
    It has been very hot and dry here and most of the garden has died and I have pre-cooked vegies in the wicking beds, there is a month waiting list to get water which we can’t drink so are buying 10L containers at the supermarket.
    I hope everyone has a nice safe and wet Christmas.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.