Aussies Living Simply

Heads Up on the Presto Canner going cheap

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Heads Up on the Presto Canner going cheap

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    mashellymashelly

I just ordered this 23-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYCFU and a canning kit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V9K8A6

total cost including international postal was $137.37AU

RobyneRobyne

Will be looking at the canner and the other sites the products are a lot cheaper then here even with postage

mashellymashelly

what otehr sites robyne??

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Great price on the Presto canner Mashelly, I paid close to $200 about 18months ago, well done and enjoy your canner. :tup:

jaydatoojaydatoo

Ohhh so tempting! What do you think you’ll can?

I have so many jars and am tempted to dump loads of them at the op shop but now I don’t know………

mashellymashelly

Jay-don’t you dear throw them go buy a pressure cooker

I would like to bottle spag bol,peas,beans,corn ,,chicken stock and meal in a jar type things…what would you do?

did the same thing about 4 months ago. Gotta love Amazon!

Jay-your jars don’t happen to be ball/mason jars? I’d be more than happy to take them off you hands if they are 🙂

veggie boyveggie boy

Good value – it is tempting. I did want the weight net though with mine – so would need to find out how much it would cost to get separately.

veggie boyveggie boy

Jeez things are cheap from the US at the moment hey. Not only is it because of the high $A, but also the shipping seems very reasonable. Could get a 23qt all american delivered for about $250 – which is extraordinary. Anyone got an All American?

jaydatoojaydatoo

:laugh: sorry scrappyhabits, no such luck on the fancy jars! They are branded like Dolmio, can’t remember the other names, but just that pasta sauce you can buy in the supermarket…oh, Bertoli I think is another brand. Most of them have been passed on to me because I used to jar my own tomato sauce. The last few years I’ve taken to just freezing tomatoes instead….too lazy to do so much tomato sauce!

S, I guess, I’m just thinking of going back to doing stuff in jars again rather than so much going in the freezer. I could turn one of the freezers off then. The only jar things I did last year were peppers and lemons.

Which jars do you use? I think I need to get new lids if I use my jars.

jaydatoojaydatoo

Oh postage has gone down heaps on Amazon. I used to buy books years ago before I found booko and the postage was a killer. I’ve bought a couple of books this year and so cheap compared to back then.

jaydatoojaydatoo

Oh, again, fruit is the other big thing I want to jar. We had such a bumper year last season. Not sure if it will be the same this time around but fruit in jars looks so much nicer than in the freezer 😉

mashellymashelly

I am wanting to power down some, as you can imagine with a family of 8 ,sheep/beef &chooks we use a lot of freezer space so bottling will help reduce maybe 1 chest freezer..I have plans of bottling a crap load of sauce this year .. this house hold eats 1 jar of jam a week so thats at least 52 jars of jam and sauce well they are australian children so you know a bottle of sauce each a week :laugh: i’d think we use a bottle of sauce a week between us so thats at a minium of 52 tallies of sauce..apple sauce and apples for pies(which I usually freeze)

celineceline

Ive used my Canner heaps lately, have about 300 Vacola jars of meat, fish, veges

jaydatoojaydatoo

Omg on the sauce – I hear ya! We hardly use jam though. Usually I juice any fruit I don’t stew/cook. Which jars/lids are you using?

Well I’m gonna sleep on it but daresay I’ll order in the morning!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.