Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Has anyone had experience with relieving the torture of baby eczema?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Has anyone had experience with relieving the torture of baby eczema?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jenoka77Jenoka77

Bluewren I would also be very careful of treenuts

Such as coconut almonds etc, I only have to touch

The outside of a bag of coconut to have a reaction.

Chicken eggs as well.

I used the “simple” brand of soap and conditioner

Pure sunlight soap for washing

And just vinegar for cleaning.

I removed my 5 favorite foods for 2 months then

Added them back in one at a time..

I know this is allergies not eczema. But it may help.

I have recently found drinking nettle tea and rosehip

Tea to be very helpful. The vit c is a natural anti hystamine

However not sure if they are dangerous to young children

porgeyporgey

I just heard on ABC Radio (774) news regarding a medical breakthrough about the link between low intestinal bacteria in children and eczema. Maybe some organic yoghourt will help boost his intestinal flora and assist in reducing the symptoms. Also a chat with a good naturopath might help as well? Best wishes, cheers, porgey.

GiannaGianna

Jenoka77 post=347868 wrote: Bluewren I would also be very careful of treenuts

Such as coconut almonds etc, I only have to touch

The outside of a bag of coconut to have a reaction.

Chicken eggs as well.

I used the “simple” brand of soap and conditioner

Pure sunlight soap for washing

And just vinegar for cleaning.

I removed my 5 favorite foods for 2 months then

Added them back in one at a time..

I know this is allergies not eczema. But it may help.

I have recently found drinking nettle tea and rosehip

Tea to be very helpful. The vit c is a natural anti hystamine

However not sure if they are dangerous to young children

I get eczema when I touch shredded coconut (even just the pack), but it’s not the coconut that I’m allergic to, it’s the sulphur dioxide that they put in it. I’ve recently located coconut without the SD and I’m fine with it.

ZorbaZorba

our little one had it as well when he was a baby, we tried everything and nothing really seemed to clear it up completely. we even saw a dermatologist.

in the end we gave up and he grew out of it by the time he was 3.

our youngest one has it now so we think it will end up the same way.

it looks bad but it doesnt seem to bother him tho.

casalentacasalenta

I used to have really bad eczema as a child and we found that good old-fashioned calamine lotion gave the best relief from the itching etc.

LinaLina

There are most likely allergies happenning.Dairy is most likely.

I can make you a skin cream that will help.

forestgold.net is my website.

kerriebkerrieb

Had it all the time from an infant until my 30s.

No soap for the tiny ones even the mildest of soaps. Mild unscented laundry detergent I used to find the OMO sensitive one fine before I started making my own. as much as i hate creams on my dry skin it might be worth asking the chemist for something light to try. Obviously you are checking for allergies poor mite. Remove tags off clothes. All cotton clothes watch for lace trims etc on necks of clothing. Not poly blend or flannelette sheets as they are really easy to overheat in. I personally like high thread count cotton ones. Seams on clothing can be annoying, turn them inside out or if you make clothes try making French seams. Gloves maybe at night but I could never stand them. That’s all I can think about ATM. Oh when they are bigger get unscented toilet paper.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

My daughter had nasty, festy excema behind her ears as a baby and we found the Palmers nappy rash cream with cocoa butter in it to be quite good. Aloe vera gel (from the plant) provided cooling relief too.

To be honest I dont think a humidifier would make much difference.

Hope you have some good results soon.

FarmerJackFarmerJack

I have had limited experience with eczema thank god. my son had a touch of it and the cortisone cleared it up. However i have friends that children have it severely and struggle greatly. I believe a product called Moo Goo helped one child to relieve it a little. good luck.

here are some of their products.. i have seen it in health food shops too. I think it was originally designed to help the cows with sore udders (if i have my facts right).. and humans found it for them too.

http://moogoo.com.au/eczema-psoriasis-balm.html

They also give a lot of good information on this page about treating eczema http://moogoo.com.au/eczema/

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks again to everyone for your replies and suggestions.This bub is still totally breast fed – and packing it on !!! – so is not receiving any other nutrition.My daughter is cutting out all wheat,nuts,dairy and eggs from her own diet at present.The rash etc comes and goes.

MooGoo seemed to help at first , this seems to be the pattern.A product helps, and then irritates.Very tricky.

Daughter and bub are going to a paediatric allergy and skin clinic on Wednesday.Almost certain this is genetic.

kerriebkerrieb

BlueWren post=348120 wrote:

MooGoo seemed to help at first , this seems to be the pattern.A product helps, and then irritates.Very tricky.

This was the pattern I had for most of my childhood and early adulthood.

I’ve found Calmurid consistently helpful for years now but I hesitate to recommend it for young kids as it stings active eczema when a applying.

sipisipi

HI BlueWren,

My youngest child is 5mths old. He has red hair, fair skin & it appears very allergic skin too.

He is yuoungest of 4 children and although #3 was very dry skin, not like this.

As recommended by my paediatrician, I use no body washes or baby wipes. I only use sorbelene to bath him in. I found the sorbelene didn’t dissolve in the bath water, so the paediatrician said to lay him down, rub all the cream on and then put him in the bath and rinse it off.

I dont’ use baby soaps or anything like that.

He is getting eczema in the rolls on his legs and in his elbows. I tried a few things but AMOLIN seems to have worked so far. SUDOCREAM, BEPANTHAMEN etc didn’t help – but they are primarily nappy rash creams anyway.

He had his injections at 4mths, and the GP put a bandaid on where he had them. He came up in a really sore red rash. A week later the section where the bandaid had adhered to the skin was especially sore and still red and raised. 2 weeks on the skin was peeling in that area and still sore.

He doesn’t seem to be upset by it, but it must be sore. Again the AMOLIN seemed to soothe this and I just wish I had put it on earlier for him.

I am going to check with GP next time I go back. Would love to hear how your daughter gets on and what the paediatric allergist suggests.

P

porgeyporgey

The causes of many allergies and childhood eczema is not well understood but a recent medical breakthrough made a scientific link between gastro-intestinal bacteria and childhood eczema. This nexus is still being researched but improving a child’s beneficial GI bacteria can have positive effects on the symptoms and severity of eczema. Good organic yoghourt contains many types of beneficial bacteria and may well help relieve some if not all the pain of this hellish condition.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks sipi. I will pass your comments on to my daughter.

The results of food allergy testing today were that the bub is very sensitive to eggs and dairy , and peanuts.Wheat was OK so at least my daughter can eat bread again!

I am sure there is a genetic element, but it was very interesting to hear from the allergist that because my daughter had to have a C section the surroundings were too sterile, which I guess they have to be to protect the Mum, but apparently the first lung fulls of air even in a normally clean delivery room will deliver good bacteraia/antigens etc to the newborn’s lungs, which Tom would have missed out on.Also his mum was on antibiotics and goodness knows what else, painkillers for the Caesar etc , and the hospital gave Tom some top up formula because he was such a big baby and my daughter’s milk was, they said, slow coming in.My daughter really wasn’t in a position to question that , especially being pretty much immoblile , in pain and with her first bub.Personally, I think topping up a new born is always a mistake – especially now we know that Tom is allergic to dairy…….maybe that’s why?

I don’t know whether animal or fabric allergies were discussed today.At least my daughter has something to work with now.

On another tac, porgey, yoghurt for my daughter is out perhaps, not sure about fermenetd dairy and allergies, but a very interesting SBS programme last night possibly linking regressive autism to diet and gut bacteria issues.There’s so much we don’t know.I suspect that much childhood allergy is linked to all the nasties now in our food and in the air we breathe , and I believe that many homes are way, way too “clean” and that anything labelled “anti- bacterial” should be banned.Kids need some “good” dirt to develop their immune systems.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

people have gone way too clean nowadays, but at least now you do have some answers

even dairy isn’t the good clean product it used to be

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.