Aussies Living Simply

Hand Raising

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    MelissaMelissa

I have aquired to wee baby kids and need some advice i have kid formula and teats one isnt feeding as well as it should im just wondering what possible problems could be causing this reluctance to suckle

all advice in regards to hand raising kids would be appreciated

i estimate them to be under 2weeks old

weaverweaver

Hi Melissa

I have raised a number of lambs and also 2 kids and have found that some attack the bottle with great gusto and others need a lot of patience and encouragement. Were they bottle fed before you got them or did they come off mum?

MelissaMelissa

they have only been in human care for about 48 hours their parents were shot these are wild goats we took custody yesterday one has been bottle fed and one was being fed using a syringe but we are trying to feed both with bottles

one is feeding better than the other in short bursts the other as you said needs lots of encouragement and im trying to get milk into it at every opportunity even if its only a few mls at a time 😐

weaverweaver

If you keep it up it will probably just click into place at some point and they will both be devouring bottles before you know it. I must say I adore goats and as kids they are divine. The poor babies are probably a little traumatised os just keep at it.:hug:

Is it clamping it’s mouth and refusing the teat or just not sucking?

Are you trying to nurse/cuddle feed, if that makes sense?

I had a nanny with 2 kids, the male was refused by her and the previous owners had been feeding the refused one by holding mum still for a few minutes a couple of times a day. The kids were only a week old and it took a good few days of cuddles, coaxing and gentle force before he would even accept the bottle properly. ( I smelled terribly of off milk, because I would wear more than he would drink ) Once he had the idea properly the children could feed him just by holding the bottle thru the fence.

Good Luck.

MelissaMelissa

the boy is getting friskier so we are winning in the food dept its a challenge trying to get him to take the bottle but when he does he gets a good amount i will post some pics of them later

mama

Melissa, even at this late stage (a couple of weeks old), if you can get your hands on some colostrum (or fresh!) milk powder, it will help the wee-ones immune system (and gut) enormously.

MelissaMelissa

these are wild wee goats they would have fed off mum id say until their demise, i dont know anyone who has goats to get colostrum i am feeding them Lamb/Kid formula its called Palastart and they seem to be taking to it well… they were being fed milk cream and baby rice cereal:jawdrop:

MelissaMelissa

when or how will i know that they are ready to start eating other things aside from the milk ? at what age are they weaned the wee boy goat wants to chew everything in site but his teeth arent capable (thankfully) what is a good food to introduce next ??

GgangGgang

Hi Melissa

make sure the formula you have does NOT contain tallow. Most formulas for lambs/ calves do and are not suitable for goats. The safest to use is just ordinary powdered milk from the supermarket.

IMO dont wory about colostrum as only their mothers colostrum will work for them :shrug: but as you said they should be alright having suckled on mum. A teaspoon of plain yogurt is a good addition to their bottle once a day once they start feeding properly. We give all our kids a teaspoon of kefir daily in their bottle.

If it is the boy that is not feeding well dont worry – boys are always slower to get it 😉 our current buck ( now 3yo ) was hand raised and right up until he was 6 months old he still couldnt get how to grab the teat 😆 his sister got it by 2 days old !!!!

I would put out a litle bit of rolled oats or grass or hay even now …….. they will “gum it” and play in it but that is how they learn. Usually their rumen will start working by about 4 weeks old – you will know when they start passing little pellets of poo instead of yellow much .

dont be tempted to overfeed them on milk or they will scour and that can be serious. If they do “D Scour” available from most feed stores is excellent and is a probiotic not a drug. I alays have some on hand just in case.

It is best to keep them on the bottle until about 24weeks old. As they get older you can cut back the frequency of feeds.

Anne

MelissaMelissa

with the feeding how often and how much i have a bottle made up with 1 litre of water to 220g of formula (which is specific for kids) i share that between the 2 of them the girl is the more gluttonous the boy who isnt getting as much is scouring a bit and she is also i think i will back off on the feeds??

baringaparkbaringapark

try diluting it with more water. We did this when we had our poddies and it worked well.

GgangGgang

Hi melissa

if you are interested in my input ( and I am not sure :shrug: hence the question because I find it so hard to type ) it would help to know how much they are taking and are you making the formula to the directions ? never be tempted to make it stronger

I also still think formula is not safe for goats. They may say its for kids but I know many people who have found out the hard way that it really isnt 🙁 powdered milk is safer and probably also cheaper.

You mix powdered milk at 1 cup of powder to 3 cups of water

Anne

MelissaMelissa

i am following the directions and i have a bottle that holds 1.25litres and between them they are getting approx 400mls per feed i have watered it down slightly to help with the scouring i cant get any Dscour atm no money and i spent $50 on the formula so im not about to rush out and buy powdered milk im going to put some olive oil in the bottle when i make up the next batch some one said that can help with the scouring also

i value all advice and opinions given to me on this forum

thanx

GgangGgang

400 mls per feed sounds about right ….. at 2 weeks we would be feeding 3 times daily but then we would be talking about kids that had been being bottled for those 2 weeks of life.

I wouldnt think olive oil would help – may make them worse

watering it down sounds a good idea 😀

have you got or can get some plain yogurt and put about 1 tsp in their bottle ………

is the scour real runny or just sort of yellow paste ?

Anne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.