Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Growing Wheat at home WINNOWING

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Growing Wheat at home WINNOWING

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    PinetreePinetree

Gday Wazza, just a few questions on Quinoa, how is it used, what sort of growing conditions and any idea where to get seeds. I did a search but did not get much info relevant to Australia.

Cheers Pinetree

WazzaWazza

Coming from the Andean mountains, it likes cool growing conditions pinetree, so you’re probably in a good location. It can be used pretty much the same as rice. You can boil it up and it comes up fluffy, or dry roast it in a pan before cooking to give it a toasted flavour. Try Greenpatch Seeds at

http://www.greenpatchseeds.com.au/index.html

PinetreePinetree

Thanks Wazza, it sounds like it is worth a go. Wheat does not like it here, so have been looking for an alternative:tup:

Cheers Pinetree

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Hey Wazza, Im just experimenting with growing the Wheat, just to see if I can. Will have to give Quinoa a try as well, we are a cool region down here so hopefuly it will suit. Thanks for the tip. Rice is also on my list of grains to try.

Chickachicka, I havent tried any other grains as yet. When are you moving to Burra?

Recyclingdiva, Ive also had a few things pop up under the bird feeder, not sure what they have been thou.

chickachickachickachicka

Hey Busylizzie, we moved to Korumburra South about 2 months ago – I’ve probably seen you at school at not known it! I’ve gotta say, loving the soil down this way, it’s beautiful stuff 🙂

diannedianne
    Participant

found this artical, thought you might like the quantities part

RobyneRobyne
    busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Thanks for all the links, articles & replies its been helpful.

Di, by your article, I would be able to produce approx. 25kg of wheat which = about 45 loaves of bread, one could only hope 😆

Heres the lastest pic of Wheat, have re-sown the areas that have not come up or the birds got to before I netted the area. Seems to be doing ok at this stage.

vvpetervvpeter

Prepare the area selected to grow wheat. If the field has been previously used for farming purposes, smooth the soil with a rake.You can harvest in April and have time to plant another crop of wheat, depending on your climate.

mama

I’ve been running tests on growing wheat … hope this helps:

The wheat that has done the worst is in the deep-dug (virgin soil) bed, with a ph of somewhere around 6.5.

The next bed across was deep-dug in exactly the same way as the first, but has a wicking well (similar ph). It’s doing marginally better.

The third trial bed is in an established wicking bed (with worms), and is quite happy and spreading like it’s a grass 😀

The fourth trial is a planting with the strawberries, in a very large pot with a mulch of pine needle compost … those wheat plants are currently VERY happy.

The surprise for me was a low-dug (virgin soil) bed I planted my garlic into. Where the garlic is, in the rest of the bed … is mostly like every other bit of garlic I’m growing. Where the wheat is growing, both the garlic AND the wheat are going gang-busters! Biggest winter wheat AND garlic I’ve experienced. Seems like they like each other :clap: (and another oddly thing … I went hunting slugs and snails tonight … none on the winter wheat/garlic combo … even tho there were some on the garlic in the other beds!

diannedianne
    Participant

busylizzie wrote:

Thanks for all the links, articles & replies its been helpful.

Di, by your article, I would be able to produce approx. 25kg of wheat which = about 45 loaves of bread, one could only hope 😆

How long would this keep your family in bread for? we go through about 1 loaf a week ( but would be 2 or 3 if it was home made) but that is still just under half a year.:tup:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

How long? good question. At the moment with the 2 boys not at home and DH and I on a Diet 😐 which has no bread, a loaf would last the girls a week, so at this rate 45 weeks 😆 If we were all at home and eating bread, then on average 3 -4 loaves per week. Atleast if I had to we have the land to plant more. (if successful at this planting)

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

The Wheat is still growing well, just have to get in and weed between the rows. :tup:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

:tup:

lynnielynnie

wow looks like its going great guns!!! How much flour did ya say this would yield???

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.