Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Growing Wheat at home WINNOWING

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Growing Wheat at home WINNOWING

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

I would like to try my hand at growing some Wheat at home (if possible) for milling and breadmaking. Anyone tried this and had success? Any tips, tricks, places to buy seed ect would be very helpful.

Cheers

Lizzie

KirstyKirsty

Check with your local ag supplies store , CRT your local bloke? Many will sell small quanities if asked. If they don’t Im sure you could ask them to give you the name of a local farmer who could.

Eden seeds also sells a range of grain including wheat :tup: $5 kg

http://www.edenseeds.com.au

porgeyporgey

Hi busylizzie, I am growing Avena sativa (Oats) at the moment in my back yard. Just a small 2 square meter patch which I hope to harvest to make porridge and other goodies. Its growing well and is now enjoying some nice arvo rain. Its quite easy and I am sure you would have no problems at all in Leongatha. The Lost Seed has great seed and am sure they can help you. Happy gardening, cheers porgey.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Thanks Kirsty & Porgey

Have CRT guy in town, will check them out tomorrow, failing that will check out online seed places you have recommended. Hoping it will be successful down here.:) Thanks again guys.

bushybushy

Only certain types of wheat are good for breadmaking,,,check that out first BL.

Question for porgey…..how will you husk the kernel of the oats?? The wheat is easy but oats difficult, but good luck. Let us know how it goes.

porgeyporgey

Bushy, buggered if I know. 😀 But like most things in life I will figure it out. It may take awhile and be uneconomic in time terms according to some ‘hands on’ accountant but I will enjoy the porridge hopefully. If it tastes like crap i will add it to the compost and re use it to grow summer veggies. So in spirit when I am eating my summer tomatoes I will really be enjoying my winter porridge in a different guise (now who is hands on?).

In tips?

gypsyoakgypsyoak

Dh grew a small test patch of wheat which was also about 2x2m. The wheat was leftover from my chook wheat which was from the fodder store. It grew well, he harvested it and the hardest part was separating the husk. From memory, he used a fan and maybe a log….not sure…Anyway, it was fun to try. He made about 6 bread rolls straight away that were very tasty. We kept it in a lunch box and would grind small quantities when we needed small amounts of wholemeal flour for making things like chapatis for dinner. Obviously if we wanted enough to make 3 loaves of bread a week – we would need to plant up a lot more! This years grain experiment is spelt and chickpeas!

NexNex

An acre of wheat produces enough for a family of 5 for 1 years worth of bread.

You will need to source hard wheat for breadmaking and soft wheat for cake making and other uses.

Your local produce store should be able to source the correct tyoes of seed wheat for you in small quantities.

Threshing, winnowing and milling will be the hard part though.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Thanks for your replies guys. Went to one of the produce stores in town (CRT now Agmart), young guy was very helpful and is seeing if he can order some hard wheat for breadmaking in. I dont think anyone had asked for Wheat to grow around here before, they usually only stock wheat for feed. But they can order large bags of breadmaking flour in as well. (good to know) Probably can only get it in a big bag, but if stored properly will last a long time. Anyway he was very helpful and said why not give it ago atleast you can say you have done it, I did feel like saying, yeah atleast if there is no bread to buy in the shops I can still have my home grown bread:shy: So will update when I get the Wheat and plant it, harvest ect ect ect ……

Cheers

Lizzie

gypsyoakgypsyoak

good on you!!:tup:

weaverweaver

Hi busylizzie

We have a friend 10kms away who grows and grinds his own wheat, I occasionally get a bag or 2 and use it in anything. I had no idea there were hard or soft wheat varieties and dont know what type this is but I know they use it for bread, scones and anything else they make.

mossymossy

I recently read a review about a book called “small-scale grain raising”. It’s supposed to be good. Might be worth getting your hands on a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Scale-Grain-Raising-Second-Processing/dp/1603580778/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273059740&sr=8-1

DB346DB346

You will need one of these hand grain mills. Hard work but well worth it.

http://www.skippygrainmills.com.au/?gclid=CN7xvMPDxKECFQEwpAodOgNE-g

I think the ability to grow your own crop, make your ingredients through to warm homemade bread out of the oven is one of the most satisfying feelings. I am getting there, but I still have much to do with regard to growing my wheat.

mama

Wheat is such a fabulous grass to grow! (I adore grasses … edible makes them even more fascinating!).

I have sown a small area with winter (hard) wheat this year, and have encouraged another in my family to do the same (they have sown about 3 square metres worth).

Their main competition is other grasses, which tend to be able to steal their food (my experience so far is that if wheat gets a “heads-up”, it will outgrow most grasses except the running type).

I grew a few square metres of wheat last year on the Bass Flats, not too far from you, busylizzie. It grew like weeds, even though I got in it a bit late; headed beautifully, and was just about ready for harvest when a neighbour’s cattle got out onto the road, came up our driveway, made a beeline for the vegie garden and scoffed the lot, along with pretty much everything else! :p

I used the seed from Eden as I wasn’t too worried about varieties for the first experiment. (Now I know Agmart will order it in I might go up to ‘Gatha for the next lot – thanks!) According to John Seymour you can make bread from soft wheats too, it just doesn’t rise as much so it ends up denser and heavier.

You used to be able to get Gene Logsden’s ‘Small Scale Grain Raising’ at the Soil & Health Library website for free, but they’ve probably removed it if it’s being republished. (I don’t have the address right now, but Google should find it).

HTH! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.