Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Growing vietnamese mint-help please

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Growing vietnamese mint-help please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

I have managed to kill two pots of vietnamese mint. However I love to have it around for cooking. I think I saw on Gardening Australia recently a segment where someone actually put it to grow in a pond -submerged! Did anyone else see this who could confirm that this was what happened, or give me any tips on how to grow succesfully?

BangersBangers

I have a few plants in pots with 50% potting mix and 50% compost and they’re going great. Are they just drying out (lack of water) or is something else happening to them?

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

They seem to turn up their toes in hot weather, so I assume that they don’t like drying out. I had them in water well type pots so I thought I had the water thing sorted, but apparently not. Of course I should point out that I live in Perth and that it does get very hot and dry in the summer here.

FishfoodFishfood

vietnamese mint- must be kept damp it grows well in aquaponics this photo look at the last bed lefthand plant is vietnamese mint-

FishfoodFishfood

A better photo

FishfoodFishfood

This is the root ball it had

MuzzyMuzzy

I grow vietnamese mint and other mints on my window sill in water in the warmer weather, this way Im guaranteed not to have to buy new plants every winter.

zippyzippy

WOAH! Fishfood that’s flippin’ impressive!:jawdrop:

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

AHH very impressive!

Shangri LaShangri La

I’m growing vietnamese mint in pots and it has done well in hot and lately, very wet weather but not growing in water as such. Mind you, it is not as impressive as fishfood’s effort.

kerriebkerrieb

Fishfood

WOW!!! that’s a very impressive effort. I’ve never grown it in water but have killed a few plants with not enough water in the hot weather

sue esue e

wow that whole ste up is impressive fish food!:tup:

SonyaSonya

We grow ours in water in an old bathtub and have to cut it back with shears.

Sonya

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Sooo- I finally set up a wicking bed in a styrofoam container, and popped in the Vietnamese mint. Now it is sooooo happy, I can’t tell you!

I’ve just started some Vietnamese mint from a cutting.  Thanks to all your advice I know I’ll have to water it well over summer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.