Aussies Living Simply

Growing seeds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jye

I’ve finally got around to planting my seeds for summer! Using a few clear boxes with sand in the bottom it’s similar to a wicking bed system. I used a similar method as Sophie Thompson on gardening Australia! Check out her video on the link below it’s titled a simple hothouse-

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/video/

lmd80

I saw that and keen to give it a go!

Jye

It has worked brilliantly ! Two days later I had little seedlings ! Couldn’t believe it !

Jye

Also made wicking beds for the seedlings!

I’m being lazy this year and sowing my seeds direct in the garden with markers so that I don’t step on them.  The tomatoes and climbing beans I put in a week ago have germinated already and hopefully the others will pop up soon too.

Jye

Id be doing exactly the same if I wasn’t moving around all the time for work!!

Bobbee

I saw the Gardening Australia segment and it did look good but I seem to be dragging my feet rather a lot these days and just couldn’t be bothered trying something different.   But good luck Jye your effort is looking great.

There are, of course, lots of seeds that can be sown directly in the ground and, like rosehipsandrhubarb, I will be doing that too.

Some in seedling trays and some direct sowing sounds like a good mix to me.   Good luck folks which ever way you choose to go.

:(|)

clarec

Direct sowing isn’t working for me – I think it’s bandicoots carefully digging up each seed. Glad wicking is working but keep an open mind for alternatives that may work locally. Every place has its own challenges, pests, wildlife, weather etc.

Bobbee

clarec we usually need to cover seed plantings and young seedlings with stuff like wire to keep critters off until the plants are strong enough to take care of themselves.   I have even used an upturned clothes basket in an emergency.

You are so right about every place having it’s own challenges.

:(|)

Snags

Its a great idea my dad has always used a few foam boxes half filled with compost to retain the moisture and planted on top.
    He is still the seedling supplier for many families well into his late 80s

Up here a local market gardener uses a tray of individual pots with rounded bottoms.
    One seed in each and easy to take out and replant.
    I like that idea too as our long growing season would allow multiple staggered plantings without having to re-buy pots 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.