Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Growing Pineapples

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    kazzkazz

Recently moved into new property to discover we have pineapple growing in the garden. Never grown it before so unsure when to harvest and how to get the best out of it. Any special care it needs, any pests I need to watch out for? Any advice would be much appreciated. :huh:

Anonymous

g’day kazz,

they like it well drained on the dry side, and full sun. depends on pre-preperation to planting could take up to 3 years to fruit.

see our page on growing them:

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/growing_sweetpotato_pineapple.htm

we generally get fruit to eat at around 18 months to 2 years.

len

adamleoadamleo

Hey Kazz

Pineapples come from the bromeliad family.

While they don’t need much water, if they don’t get enough you may notice smaller fruit.

If your pineapple leaves have a reddish, purple tinge then your pineapple will need a bit of organic fertilizer.

Use a fish emulsion or seaweed fertilizer watered down and water the plant and surrounding soil. Bromeliads take a lot of their goodness in through their leaves. Once the pineapple has turned a golden-yellowy colour it should be right to cut.

The other way you can tell is by smelling it. If it has no smell then more than likely its not ripe, whereas if it is ripe you should be able to smell a sweet smell.

As for pest and disease control, here’s a link that has a list of what to watch out for with your pineapple plant. http://bicol.da.gov.ph/Opportunities/pineapple%20profile/topic7.html

Hope this helps

Ad

kazzkazz

Great, many thanks for the useful links. Unsure how old the plant is, it looks quite established and has fruit on it. Look forward to trying it once ripened.

mudhenmudhen

I successfully grew pineapples in Central Qld when I lived there, and have a few started here in SA. They are a great plant to grow, take up a bit of space, but I read somewhere that they can live (and fruit) for up to 20 years — enjoy your pines!

bdm6125bdm6125

I have about 4 in pots, which are about 2 to 3 years old. I live in Perth, which I realise is not perfect pineapple climate, so need to know whether I’m wasting my time or not???? 🙁

BarbBarb

You’re not wasting your time growing them in Perth. We are in Waroona and have a few here. Our first one was the nicest thing. http://barbsbackyard.blogspot.com/2011/04/we-have-pineapple.html

It was a few years from start to eating though.

Barb.

http://barbsbackyard.blogspot.com/

narellehnarelleh

we just drop the tops of the pineapples in the garden and give them a push to help them stand upright and that’s it! A couple of years later (near Xmas time here) we get a fruit – so far these have been small but the ones i have on at the mo are getting bigger than the others – more rain this year when they were setting I suppose. Pests – can’t say I have noticed any yet

Happy gardening 🙂

bushybushy

kazz, if you have fruit showing wont be too long now. They will grow in full shade but grow faster in the sun.

Rats and possums eat my pineapples

Thanks a lot adamleo for sharing this important information about Growing Pineapples. But will you please tell me that which season is best for growing this and which type of soil will be most suitable for this.

bushybushy

There is no season for pineapples, they can take years, so if you get very cold weather you cant grow them as they have to overwinter.

Anonymous

as bushy says there is no season for pineapples as they can take so long to fruit, when you have a top conditioned to plant then plant it for over winter i plant into pots so i can keep them in full sun over winter then plant out sometime in spring.

checked the bug list in all the years we have grown pine’s we have never had any bugs, just the last time suburban crows attacked the fruit, farmers have similar problem with the crows. they only take one bite of the fruit early in ripening but it does spoil the fruit.

never ever fertilized or fed our plants, increase watering a bit after fruit forms is all.

the size of fruit not guaranteed either farmers get small fruit they used just leave on the ground, small fruit just as sweet.

can’t see living in perth being an impediment, do they have pineapple farms down there?

anyhow have a go

len

mudhenmudhen

If it’s too cold where you live to grow them outside (eg Tasmania) then you can grow them in pots and bring them in for the winter. People in Canada and the US do this.

Gabs247Gabs247

Hi mudhen, how are the pine apples going, do you h

ave to bring them inside here?

mudhenmudhen

My pineapples are much neglected like my other potted plants at the moment. I need to get stuck in and re-pot, adding some decent compost and possibly give them bigger pots now that they are established. I’ve got them in pretty much full shade tucked in with ornamental potted plants and they are looking well, but I doubt I’ll get any fruit until next year at the earliest. I picked up a number of discarded tops at the market a couple months ago and will pot them this week, but do need to put them in a sunnier spot. I didn’t bring mine inside over winter, but they are under a pergola, so completely sheltered from the cold. I think if you planted them in the ground you would need a well drained spot and pretty much cover them with mulch over winter. Give them a go if you have the space!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.