Aussies Living Simply

Growing eggplant

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bplumbplum

i am new to vege gardening, tho things are doing well. More parsley than I could ever use! My Q is about eggplant – the lebanese one are doing really well, the earlier ones were a lovely deep purple. The later ones are streaky green/purple – why is this? is something missing? (it doesnt matter, just curious). Also, the oval eggplant fruit only get to about 6 inches or so long & no larger . . why is this?

Lyn BagnallLyn Bagnall

Bplum, eggplant fruit come in an amazing range and combination of colours, and some different sizes and shapes. Although they are self-pollinating – some cross pollination does occur if there are different varieties in the area. We had some growing that were oval, white, and about 7 cm (3″) long. They looked just like chooks’ eggs growing on a plant – they are probably the type that gave eggplant its name. 🙂

helendthelendt

Bplum I find that although the eggplant ‘bushes’ last forever up here the fruit do start to lose that lovely shiny purple colour as the plant gets older – they tend to produce dull and slightly greenish fruit. They also start to get bitter as they age. Rejuvenating the bush by cutting it back well will prompt it to send out new shoots and a burst of better fruit. I grow the long green eggplant and the white ones that Lynn describes as well but the common purple ones are by far the best producers and the easiest to produce from seed. I always have lots (and lots) of fresh seedlings ready to start off when the older ones start to look their age.

The size sounds about right – bigger fruit are not necessarily better and I try to pick them young.

PM me if you’d like some extra seedlings at any time.

bplumbplum

Thanks Helendt – I will take up that offer of some seedlings, i would like to try the other sort when due fior a replant. I will be in touch soon.

aquariumaquarium

my favorite is Lista de Gandia….or whatever the spelling is. tops for taste/texture and looks nice too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.