Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

growing bananss

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    forestforest

There were bananas growing on this property when we arrived so I can’t claim they were my idea. But we do get some great hands of bananas now. The flying foxes love them too and I don’t mind sharing the mangoes with them, but I want to keep the bananas growing to their full size and not rip them down to save them from the bats.

Besides plastic bags, is there a way to keep the bananas safe until they’;re ready to pick?

I’ve attached a pic of some of our bananas.

FranceyneFranceyne

They look great Forest – so cute!

I don’t have any tried methods for keeping banana loving bats away from those cuties but some ideas…what are the bats scared of? Bird of prey? – fake bird cut out profile? Shiny things? – string some tinfoil up? Chilli/mustard/garlic? – spray the unripe bananas with some hot chilli/mustard/garlic tea to deter them – like you do to an egg eating chook?

Good luck!

Cheers,

Fran.

forestforest

thanks Fran.

As bats fly around in the dark, I doubt those shiny things would work on them. I might try a chilli spray.

FranceyneFranceyne

I hope it helps. Please let me know how you go.

bazmanbazman

I have had heaps of great results using a chilli/soap/oil spray, stopped possums from eatting my sugar cane too. just have to watch that over spray, ouch.

bazmanbazman

I planted 32 lady fingers, about 25 came up and the rest rotted in the ground I think due to large rains we had after I planted them, I eat lots of Banana each day so it was logical for me to plant a heap of them, if they grow well I will try some other breeds, the guy from the DPI was really helpful too.

They are only 1-2 feet at the moment, I hope they will be able to handle the wind we get here sometimes. I’m also interplanting them with sugar cane.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.