Aussies Living Simply

Grinding Wheat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    KarmaKarma

I am looking to grind wheat into flour for bread making etc. I have been looking at grain mills and they are very expensive. Has anyone ever used a coffee grinder to grind wheat and if so how have they found it?

If not any suggestions on a good brand of Mill?

mauzimauzi

Hi,

Asked my chef husband about this. He asked hat type of coffee grinder do you mean? He thinks it may be too course.

We have used an electric stone ground mill which was very effective, about 10 minutes for a loaf. Have also used a hand ground stone mill, works well but takes half to 3/4 hr for a loaf, advantage being no power required but more of your time. Also used a steel plated mill that turned it to a semolina state (very course) so not that good.

Good luck.

lol i have tried my kenwood coffee grinder atachment to grind spelt before and yes was stil a bit course, ( its an old metal burr grinder, that has coarse to fine ) though i am sure you could sift and re grind it to make it a finer texture. The liquidiser attachment is spose to make castor sugar so could maybe even use that for flour.

shortlyshortly

We use a pedal powered uni-ark mill, it takes about 15-20 minutes or so to run a kg of grain through twice, the first time coarse with the steels and the second time set fine with the stone mill plates.

After sifting out the bran its as fine as any commercial flour.

Wingen_minerWingen_miner

I use the Magic Bullet for my chappattis.

I usually grind up a cupful at a time, and just pass it through a kitchen sieve; shake the sieve for fine flour, and push it through if you dont mind a few course bits.

Any old food processor would do the same thing (and much quicker…. the magic bullet is small but the only food processor that i have on hand), plus it doubles as my coffee grinder among other things).

It takes less than 10 mins (i could get it down the less than 5mins if my 2 year old wasnt so adamant about playing with the dough), to go from whole wheat berries to piping hot flat bread. Just the thing to wrap around those home grown eggs and crispy bacon!!

bluesnipbluesnip

Karma post=316407 wrote: I am looking to grind wheat into flour for bread making etc. I have been looking at grain mills and they are very expensive. Has anyone ever used a coffee grinder to grind wheat and if so how have they found it?

If not any suggestions on a good brand of Mill?

Karma, how did you go with this? Have you found a brand? Did you give your coffee grinder a go?

I’m wanting a stone mill that does not rely on a power source. All I can find is those sold through Skippy Grain Mills.

shortlyshortly

Bluesnip

There are quite a few non electric mills about, the trick is choosing one that does what you want.

here are a few to start

http://www.retsel.com.au

http://www.goldengrainmills.biz/index.htm

http://www.grainmillshop.com/

Or sometimes you can get good quality mills like the country living grain mill out of the US when amazon have sales that coincide with a peak in the $AU.

KarmaKarma

Thanks Bluesnip, I have been looking on ebay, also checked out the Skippy Grain Mill site, Ideally a non electric one would be the way to go, I will check the about out. I haven’t tried my coffee grinder, I don’t think it will grind the wheat fine enough even on the finest setting.

bluesnipbluesnip

I love the grain mill shop site – the wooden ones look fantastic… Then again, the cast iron one sounds like something I can put in my will for future generations! LOL

Its so hard to tell if it will be ok until you have a go with it, but too pricey to get it wrong! 🙁

KristyKristy

Has anyone bought themselves a hand wheat grinder?

KarmaKarma

No I still haven’t bought a wheat grinder electric or manual, still keeping my eyes open, there was one on ebay for Kenwood mixer but when I checked it would not fit my mixer.

PeterDPeterD

I have the Survival Ark. But I also have the pulley wheel and belt and have an old washing machine some one threw away that had a perfectly good motor in it so mine is automated and the hand crank is attached to the bench I build for it just for that day fuel/electricity becomes too expensive if that is the path things are to take.

I have the steel and the stone wheels for it so oily nuts like peanuts can be made into butter and hard dry seeds and rice can be made into flour.

KarmaKarma

How do you find the Survival Ark Peter, does it grind the wheat very fine?

JessiebeanJessiebean

I use my thermomix to grind grains, it works very well and also makes tahini, nut butters, icing sugar etc as well as cooking and blending and mixing, not a cheap option but not that much more than grain mills and can do so much more!

KarmaKarma

I have heard that you can use the thermomix to grind grains, I have a KitchenAid and there is an attachment for that but reading the reviews it gets the machine very hot so I am a little reluctant to purchase one of those to find out it puts to much strain on the KitchenAid motor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.