Aussies Living Simply

Green Granny !

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING This Simple Life Green Granny !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    trandtotrandto

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/nov/13/ethicalliving-carbonfootprints

Much as I admire Pick’s low impact on this frazzled earth, isn’t her lifestyle all a bit, well, extreme? She shrugs her wiry shoulders. “Does it look like a hovel?” she says, throwing a beady glare around her Croydon flat. It doesn’t; it is neat and tidy, and the furniture is classic 1960s – very fashionable now – that she has had for four decades. She last owned a television in 1975 and listens to Classic FM and Radio 4 on an old secondhand stereo system. The walls are hung with her own artworks. The only electricity she uses is a single light (low-energy bulbs, of course) for the evenings, and her kettle, which not only makes the tea she drinks all day, but provides the hot water for laundry – which she does by hand – and bucket baths.

Pick doesn’t have heating. It is a chilly day so I keep my jacket on, but she is far less weedy than me. Doesn’t she get cold? “Sometimes,” she says. How does she keep warm? “Clothing and exercise,” she replies.

What an amazing woman !

threedogsthreedogs

WOW! 🙂

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

What an inspiration she is .. thanks for sharing 🙂

Run Joan, run… Good on her…

janinecjaninec

Great article, I love the quote –

She decided to start living like this, she says, “because I realised we have got the energy question totally wrong. I decided to imagine that the earth was a business in need of sound management. We are all members of the board, a shareholder, a trustee, a consumer and an employee. We believed that fossil fuels were infinite, but they are finite.”

AnnMcAnnMc

She is incredible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.