Aussies Living Simply

Good Strawberry Varieties?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GreenAussieGreenAussie

I’d like some advice on the best strawberry varieties in Australia. I am looking for ones that are preferably heirloom and have soft berries with a very good flavour. I don’t want the varieties with tough, tasteless berries, and I also want to avoid those that have been bred to be very sweet as these cause blood sugar issues.

What are your favourite strawberry varieties, and if you have found a good heirloom variety somewhere, where did you purchase it?

lmd80lmd80

I have a Nellie Kelly which I don’t recommend! I am growing others but I can’t remember what type, they were from Diggers and no strawberries yet to tell you if they are good, sorry. I am interested too and would love to know the tricks to big juicy strawberries :cheer:

df418df418

My top 4 at the moment are (in order)

Aromas

Alinta

Amsterdam roze (pink flower)

Cambridge Rival

OK for jam

Red Gauntlet

EmPEmP

Anyone willing to sell me some Cambridge rival strawberry runners ? Live in Sydney and can arrange payment and express post bag. Thank you. Em

SnagsSnags
    MuklukMukluk
    Participant

I wouldn’t buy from Diggers if you have any other option. Their service is absolutely dreadful, I could rant for ages about how terrible they are. To be completely honest, I prefer to go without out rather than funding someone like Diggers.

SnagsSnags

I havent dealt with them for a long time but they where good we used to have a holiday house just around the corner when I was a kid spent a bit of time there

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

I agree, they used to be great. Those days have gone unfortunately and I dare say they are not coming back.

Any company as large as Diggers is going to make some mistakes and send out of date seeds, mouldy plants, dead plants, incorrectly labelled plants etc, but it is the disrespectful way that Diggers handles these issues that makes me refuse to buy from them again.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

On a much less significant note I really hate how they claim to be about saving heirloom varieties from extinction, yet they rename many varieties and make up the history of them to be more more marketable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.