Aussies Living Simply

Good Plants for a Living Border Around the Vegetable Garden

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Good Plants for a Living Border Around the Vegetable Garden

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello all,

I have been given a bunch of narrow concrete blocks and when I stack them on their sides, they are about the same height and thickness as a wooden sleeper – however, they are narrow in the centre.

I’m going to install them as a border to my vegetable beds and plant something in the hollow centre. Besides raising the vegie bed, the idea is that it’ll look good and attract pollinators to the vegetables.

Does anyone have any suggestions for plants that I should use in the concrete hollows?

I was thinking of alyssum because you can get perennial varieties, it will spill nicely over the sides and will attract plenty of pollinators.

All other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

JB

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Id grow marigolds but thats only coz they are my favourites, or calendulas, I THINK some are edible

BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

Nasty Urchins (nasturtiums)

calendulas

allysum

thyme

prostrate rosemary

winter and summer savoury

land cress

strawberrys

Bobbs :hug: :hug: :hug:

df418df418

JB

you don’t mention where you are.

We used “besser” blocks around a bed in sydney and everything we planted in the hollow centre fried.

David

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

df418 post=321143 wrote: JB

you don’t mention where you are.

We used “besser” blocks around a bed in sydney and everything we planted in the hollow centre fried.

David

Maybe you could plant cacti and succulents in this situation then ?

I wonder how comfrey would go in this situation ? I would be inclined to try it.. very little, if anything kills comfrey :tup:

diannedianne
    Participant

Humbug post=321148 wrote:

JB

very little, if anything kills comfrey :tup: [/color]

except me i seam to have a nack for it:whistle: :blush:

veggie boyveggie boy

My border (not in blocks) is lemongrass and then comfrey on the outside of that. Not bee attracters, but my 2 cents worth all the same.

AnjaAnja

I would think comfrey roots are to big for such a small space?? What about annual herbs like basil, coriander, spinach?? Flowers – definitely calendular and yes, they are edible! If you want really bright colours, petunia or pansies, or more subtle colous, violas….

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

It will obviously curb the comfrey from spreading, but the tap root would travel down into the sub soil, like it always does and it would survive. Providing you put a small enough piece in to begin with.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.