Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Good chicken breed for sub-tropics

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE All things Chicken Good chicken breed for sub-tropics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AshilleongAshilleong

Hi,

I’m just curious (for those in the know) what you would recommend for a free-ranging chicken.

The new house is surrounded by sub-tropical rainforest and a creek and I’d be happy to have chickens running around as they please in the forest and cooping them up at night.

I know very little about chickens. Wyandotte’s look interesting.

Might want to breed the chickens down the line, meat not a priority and egg laying production doesn’t need to be massive.

bushybushy

I live in the subtropics, I have all sorts from huge australorpes to scraggy little cage layer hens. They all do fine, can remember when I lived in a dry climate the chooks would run for cover if a shower of rain passed by, but here they will happily stay out all day doing their thing, get soaked but doesnt worry them.

Your biggest problem will be pythons…..believe me.

DottyDotty

My australorpes do very well here in the sub-tropics though they can be a bit noisy.

AshilleongAshilleong

bushy post=360398 wrote: I live in the subtropics, I have all sorts from huge australorpes to scraggy little cage layer hens. They all do fine, can remember when I lived in a dry climate the chooks would run for cover if a shower of rain passed by, but here they will happily stay out all day doing their thing, get soaked but doesnt worry them.

Your biggest problem will be pythons…..believe me.

Pythons eating eggs?

bushybushy

Yes they will but prefer take-away chicken

AshilleongAshilleong

Eep! is there anything that can be done?

bushybushy

Make sure your chook yard is python proof, this means a small mesh netting, not regular chook net. Also means no trees or shrubs close or touching the fences and the bottom needs to be buried or similar.

Make sure they are closed in every nite. Be prepared to lose one occasionally, during daytime on a free range basis they will only get one, if the python gets in the yard of a nite he will eat 3 or 4 depending size of snake.

In other words its pot luck.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

In the recent heat wave my friend lost a Rhode Island Red who was otherwise healthy. I have Croad Langshans and they did all right.

I have heard for really hot areas that Transylvanian Naked Neck chooks are good but they are just so damn ugly I cant bring myself to own them (apologies to any Naked Neck lovers out there)

AshilleongAshilleong

Cheers for that. I’m filing it all under ‘things I need to know’.

I can’t wait to get out of this place, live in my own house and get started!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.