Aussies Living Simply

Goat questions

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ravyk

Took him down the local fodder store, he is still only a baby-only has milk teeth. Got some milk replacer so I’m hoping I can get him to take a bottle, he is dreadfully thin. She also gave me a bag of lucerne/oat/wheat hay dregs from the shed and a bag of oats/barley for him.

Tomorrow I’m going back there to get an ivermectin shot to treat the lice and worm him too.

Ravyk

Here’s a photo of him.

It’s good to see you too Iduna. 🙂 Been awhile…too busy lately with working, child wrangling and bringing home strays! Would love to catch up.

Attached files

Iduna

Oh he is young. If he is still drinking milk he’s only a baby.

So say an easy 12 to 15kg so he is very underweight.

I have some Ivomec drench but I just checked the use by date and it’s 2011. Mind you it still works fine on chickens.

Ravyk

I tried the bottle but he wasn’t too impressed but it could be the teat-it’s not the normal one I would use but they had none in stock. Will try with the milk in a bucket later because he definitely seemed to like the bit that he did drink.

I dont think he’s young enough to still be on milk, he eats grain/hay/grass fine. I just want to get some meat on his bones and a few farmers who popped in at the fodder store suggested trying to get him to take some milk.

Thanks for the offer, but the fodder store lady is bringing hers in tomorrow for me, she’s a friend of mine. 🙂 And actually someone else who chatted to me at the fodder store is going to give me their bottle of Panacur for worming him. Gosh farming types are such friendly and generous people!

Hi just thought I would chip in. I have 2 goats. A sannan doe and buck. I feed my goats sprouted barley and lucern chaff which they seem to do well on. I also put out normal hay for them. Fresh lush green seems to bring on the scours, this includes grass.

Things I have fed my goats without issues are:

Banana peels, mandrin peels, Raw carrots cut unto battens (never rounds as they may choke) Raw carrots can help control scours. Leaves of blackwood trees. I also have wormwood growing which I feed them in small amounts as it helps to control parasites.

Goats need shelter from weather as they don’t like rain. When changing their diet you need to introduce things slowly so not to upset their digestive track. Goats also need to have their feet trimmed regularly. A good way to bond with your goats is petting anf taking them for walks. If their trained right you can simply attach a dog lead onto a collar for walks.

Bear in mind goats are fairly high maintance animals. If you are going to keep 1 goat they will need a friend to keep them company. Things like ducks or geese can work. Becare with dogs as I ahve been told goats will try to kill them. Might be alright if a kid and puppy grow up together.

Small children need to be carefully supervised around goats.

My library time is almost up. Will try to post more later.

Ravyk

THanks Bare Foot Farmer!

Any tips on teaching him to walk on lead?

Bel

Cute goat ravyk! And welcome back to ALS – haven’t seen you around here in a little while. Let us know how you go with this little guy 🙂 We are hoping to get goats eventually at our new property, so I’ll be following this thread with interest for tips and advice :tup:

Ggang

Ravyk post=357911 wrote: THanks Bare Foot Farmer!

Any tips on teaching him to walk on lead?

start by tying him up so he can learn all on his own that he cant pull away – of course keep an eye on him to make sure he doesnt choke or get caught up ……… then try leading him carrying lots of rewards to encourage him when he does the right thing

he looks 3 or 4 months old to me and probably a mini cross

you should be able to get a castration ring on him but it will be painful for a few days as he is a bit old ……… the kindest way is to get the vet to do it……. do it ASAP as when he starts to feel better a buck can be a handful

Ravyk

thanks Ggang-I will be having a vet castrate him . Whilst I have no issue with ring castration, having a vet do it is more accessible to me than someone with a castration kit [helps that I work in a vet clinic!].

He’s getting pretty used to wearing a collar and lead, and when I am outside in the garden I clip the lead [3-4m or so] onto our fence. He doesn’t seem to have too much of an issue with it, pulls a few times then sets down to munching up the weeds!

Hello Bel! Yes it has been awhile! Been too busy with working, having a 21month old and trying to keep a hold on home life! Where are you planning on moving to? We’ll hopefully be buying our first house later this year!

Bel

Ravyk post=357944 wrote: Hello Bel! Yes it has been awhile! Been too busy with working, having a 21month old and trying to keep a hold on home life! Where are you planning on moving to? We’ll hopefully be buying our first house later this year!

I know the feeling (being busy)!! How exciting that you’re nearly buying a house – yay. We’ve bought a 25 acre property at Mt Pleasant – we move on 27 September. Then we’ll REALLY be busy!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.