Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Goat Meat – first taste

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Goat Meat – first taste

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    toosusietoosusie

Good for you RW for trying something new. So would goat be a good thing to farm on smaller parcels of land? How many acres per goat do you reckon if you want to breed them for eatin’?

most places would run 3-4 to the acre comfatably, only problem is fencing they will go under a fence very smartly

Domestic breed goats such as Boer are pretty managable and not to flighty and eat very nicely

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

:clap: well done RW :tup:

Was my FIL friendly when you went in there to buy it? That’s if it was him serving on the day 😉

Him and a few friends put that shop together and it’s been going great, and goat has turned out to be a really popular item. We now eat a lot of goat meat thanks to that, the sausages are pretty good too, though a bit drier than lamb or beef ones.

Even stranger, the goat would have been supplied by my neighbour out at our new place, may even have come from animals agisted on our property… 6 degrees or less of separation 😆

toosusietoosusie

Thanks for that Stark:tup:

Another thing to look at is you can buy boer kids ready to eat of the farm for $50 and if you get a few or friends buy some a mobile butcher will cut them up for roughly $30 so for $80 you get about 20kilio of meat and at $4 a kilio thats cheap and very good meat

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Geoff, it was your neighbour’s goat I was eating. Don’t know if it was one of those agisted on your property…it didn’t have any of my buckshot in it so maybe not 🙂 Wouldn’t it be funny if it was though eh?

I was served by a nice middle aged lady. Didn’t notice any guys serving there on the day. I also rang your neighbour to see if he slaughtered and butchered any of the animals himself, but he sends them to Cowra for slaughter before distributing them to the shop in Orange and another in Blayney.

I’m looking at trying to find a property that backs onto the escarpment so I can go hunting for them. They might be a bit tougher and slightly more gamey, but for the price of the bullet and a mobile butcher it would be worth it. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the advice Stark. I’ll look into it.

rw

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

😆 clangers in the pan as they say!

Long blonde hair, or short? Would have been either my DW or one of the other owner’s sister. My neighbour used to be a butcher, but the regulations these days mean he has to send them through the abbs before he can sell them. He’s going to be my goat guru :tup: 😆

Based on the agistment figures he’s run about a goat an acre over the spring and summer months, and ramped it up to 2/acre since roughly autumn. We had lots of dry feed on the ground up until he put the increased stock numbers in. It’s now come nice and green out there so they’ve left swathes of dry stuff and are concentrating on the green pick. I’ve got to speak to him in more depth but I reckon I’d get away with 30 – 40 does full time, and still have some room for other animals and land uses on the 69 acres. When I’ve planted a load of perennial fodder plants I should be able to increase that somewhat given I’ll have 3 dimensional feed rather than 2 dimensional.

Good luck finding a nice hunting spot. It’d be a nice easy way to feed the family, and involve some fun and games at the same time! Goat is the healthier option as far as meats go, leaner than all others, as much protein as beef, and the most iron out of the 5 major meats. It’s also got less calories than all but chicken.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

geoff wrote:

Long blonde hair, or short? Would have been either my DW or one of the other owner’s sister. My neighbour used to be a butcher, but the regulations these days mean he has to send them through the abbs before he can sell them. He’s going to be my goat guru :tup: 😆

Can’t remember how long her hair was…I don’t think it was short. Ask your wife if she can remember selling a leg for $20 neat.

The regulations regarding slaughter and sale of animals is rediculous. It’s

all about keeping the home grower from managing things themselves and keeping the middle men in business.

Reminds me of the laws regarding raw milk.

rw

cfswombatcfswombat

We have 30 acres and run about 30 head of Boer cross at the mo. I have had alot of trouble with wild dogs and have in Oct 08 introduced Maremma/Kangal LGD’s. I have 8 kids on the ground at the mo. We eat Goat all the time and I treat it just like mutton to cook. Hubby camp oven’s a lot of it over water. We muct be spoiled but it is normal cruseine for us. We are actually palnning to freezer 2 this w/e.:tup:

lngferretterlngferretter

Had kid one New Years Eve – apparently traditional Italian – it was spit roasted and was one of the finest meals I have had.

Never see kid in the butchers or supermarket but did see horse in an italian supermarket – couldn’t really bring myself to buy and try- yet tried baby eels – weird huh?

mary dollmary doll

we lived in the middle east for a few years and often ate goat. Curries were our fav, something slow cooked. also use to eat it in shwarmas (a bit like doner kebab)

really miss that type of street food

MD

cfswombatcfswombat

Had slow baked goat shoulder last night with boiled spuds and greens. Was melt in the mouth stuff. Damn good food. Very pleasing.:D

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Now you’re just teasing me wombat 🙂

I see you replied to Mark W’s query on using Maremmas for heard protection. How are you going with the herd? Had any more slow baked roasts lately?

rw

TullymoorTullymoor

<drool>

RW, why don’t you buddy up with cfswombat, if they’re nearby, and learn how to butcher them yourself? :tup: Once you learn how to do goats, then you can hunt and butcher lots of other free tucker 😉

cfswombatcfswombat

Yeah RW we have aroast every week, at least and often use goat mince during the week. I use the roast meat as sandwich meat for the week. Cooked our first leg this Sunday night and gee it was nice. Amid all the drams of sunday night. Tullymoor, we are a bit too afr a part for any pairing up. I am in mid QLD and he is in south NSW.

Have had agood run recently with the Maremmas, no new kills. Actually became game and released the 8 kids I had in the yard for about a month. They came back every night with their mothers, so pretty pleased. I have yarded them again, much to their disgust, to wean them off their mothers, and force them to become quieter.

I did not put as much time as usual into them when they where tiny, so have some spirit to break. Thanks for the interest.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.