Aussies Living Simply

Globe artichokes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    weaverweaver

I have 3 Globe Artichoke plants all doing magnificently well and am wondering if anyone has suggestions for their use. They are just starting to bud up now and I feel I may be inundated before too long. I have had them before on antipasto platters and once in the most divine dip but am not really sure how to use them. Suggestions would be very welcome :hug:

MetuMetu

I’ve heard they’re nice with garlic butter, but haven’t tried it myself. Our globes are still wee little tackers.

murphyslawmurphyslaw

or with mayonaise, or with balsamic vinegar, or stuffed with parmesan and stewed in pasta sauce…eat the artichokes, and then put the sauce on pasta and eat it as a second course, or with broad beans. They are a lot of work in the preparation though, be sure to pick them before the buds start to open. If the bud is opening it means the choke has started to form, and needs to be removed as it is very bitter

jenjenjenjen

dont worry about having too many, the more the merrier. artichokes are divine and very easy to prepare. You will need at least two per person, one is never enough. I usually cook them in a large pasta pot with about an inch of water in it, lemon juice if you have heaps, but it really doesn’t matter. I cut the top off the artichoke,(tips not bottom) about an inch or so, it cooks more quickly and allows the steam in rather than boiling. Also i leave about an inch of stalk as well. Steam for about 10 minutes, no need to have water covering them. I put a knife in the base near stalk to see if soft. Try cooking one first and get the idea before doing a whole lot.

Now is the best bit. Melt some butter, must be butter, add lemon juice and also garlic if you like and put in small bowl. Take your artichoke( you will also need a large bowl for the discarded leaves) and strip off the outer layer of leaves. as you get further into the centre you will notice at the base of each leaf it is alittle thickened, dip this into the butter and strip off leaf with your teeth. with each leaf closer to the centre there is more and more to eat and a gradual improvement in flavour and sweetness. when all the leaves are gone you are left with the choke . cut this is half and sometimes depending on the variety and age you will see a hairy looking core. dont eat that but the rest is pure gold and you can even pare down the stalk. Once you have eaten one it all becomes quite clear as to the procedure but can seem a little daunting at first. There are heaps of different recipes but this is the simplest and purest way . be warned they are messy and addictive.

stangstang
    weaverweaver

Thanks for those ideas. I will have a go at Jenjen’s recipe tonight

dustygrl70dustygrl70

My favourite is Lemon Braised Artichokes :

http://tomatoesforbreakfast.blogspot.com/search/label/artichokes

yum!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.