Aussies Living Simply

Gliding possums as pets :(

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Pets and Native Animals Gliding possums as pets :(

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jaydatoo

How sad for these little creatures πŸ™

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24338471-5007133,00.html

Gliding possums new pet trend in UK

By Antonia Magee and Patrick Horan

September 13, 2008 12:53am

Article from: Herald Sun

* Possums being bought in UK pet trend

* Wanted just to fly across living rooms

* Angry RSPCA says they should be in native habitat

AUSSIE gliding possums are being bought by Brits for home entertainment in a sick trend that has incurred the wrath of the RSPCA.

Reports in London’s Sun and Daily Telegraph newspapers said the possums were being snapped up to fly across people’s living rooms, instead of gliding from tree to tree as nature intended.

The small possums, native to the east coast of Australia, have the ability to form a membrane between their feet and front paws.

The membrane allows them to glide between 50m and 140m, depending on the individual breed.

The RSPCA’s ACT chief executive, Michael Linke, said the trend was disturbing. He likened it to people owning designer dogs.

He added that keeping the tiny possums inside limited their energetic nature.

“Creatures like this should be kept in their native habitat. Humans can’t recreate that,” Mr Linke said.

“They’re not meant to be handled, they’re delicate little critters. They’re meant to live in trees out in the wild.”

The tiny sugar gliders were reported to be the possum of choice for Brits.

They are named after their sweet tooth and live on a diet of eucalyptus, gum, insects and pollen.

One of the owners said her pet glider ran up curtains and glided across the room for exercise, the Daily Telegraph reported.

“They are nocturnal creatures so I let mine out every night for a few hours so they can glide and stretch their legs,” the owner said.

“My male glider loves running up the curtain rail and jumping off and gliding through the room.”

The Daily Telegraph said the possums were thought to be bred in captivity in the US 10 years ago and were good pets because of their lively and inquisitive nature.

The possums were reportedly being sold for $330, with some owners wearing them in pouches around their neck to bond with them.

Mr Linke said: “Dogs and cats are used to curling up on laps, curling up on lounges and roaming around back yards.

“But for some reason, there’s some people that want to go a little bit more exotic than everyone else.”

gypsyoak

Its pretty awful….. here you need to have a permit to have more then 1. They are definately not indoor pets.

Hummer

Whats the matter with some people 😑 They just make me so mad!

Bobbee

Yes. Me too Hummingbug. :@ :@ πŸ™

Thisildo

I heard of this 5-6-years ago. A person who lived in Washington USA had acquired one from a woman she worked with who no longer wanted to take care of her PET GLIDER POSSUM named Rocky.

Knowing that I was an Aussie she asked me how to care for it. I phoned the Healesville Sanctuary as I knew one of the marsupial keepers there.

He told me that it was not uncommon there for these little creatures to be sold as POCKET PETS. Anyway it was housed in a cage in her kitchen. Over the next few years she acquired 2 more. Last time I asked how they were doing she had tired of them and had passed them on to somebody else. :@ Pocket Pets! :@ I felt sooo angry & sad:(.

Ev

What about the bright side people!

While I don’t think people should generally keep animals for the sake of it, is it really any worse than a cat or a dog…. in fact if your neighbour had to keep a pet I would say the little glider would be probably the least problematic with a cat or dog as other choices.

Gianna

I’ve been hearing about this for years, and no, I don’t approve. On that Wife Swap program that was on a couple of years ago, the lady had a wallaby bounding around in her house. How did our native animals get over there as pets in the first place? πŸ™

jaydatoo

Ev, the cats and dogs have evolved over a long period of time to become the pets we know of today.

djc

Gianna wrote:

I’ve been hearing about this for years, and no, I don’t approve. On that Wife Swap program that was on a couple of years ago, the lady had a wallaby bounding around in her house. How did our native animals get over there as pets in the first place? πŸ™

Wallabies are actullay running wild here in the UK – they escaped from zoos or animal collections and have taken to the environment here.. Its like all things though Gianna, if someone’s got one someone else will want one. I’ll just stick to the dogs and the chooks!!

Gianna

djc wrote:

Gianna wrote:

Wallabies are actullay running wild here in the UK – they escaped from zoos or animal collections and have taken to the environment here.. Its like all things though Gianna, if someone’s got one someone else will want one. I’ll just stick to the dogs and the chooks!!

:jawdrop: We’re not even allowed to keep them as pets. Unbelievable! :jawdrop:

Can you send them home please. :shy:

Anonymous

this so called legal trade in native wild life between countries should be stopped, it si what encouraged the blackmarket traders and at the end of teh day it doesn’t make sense to have some critters as pets when matched against a dog whatever.

someone from US told me they had a neighbour with a pet wallaby??!!! just not kind to the animals and simply doesn’t make sense.

like ‘gianna’ said we over here can’t kep any native critters well not without special license and some not at all, i mean by the rule of law you can’t even have feathers from a protected bird.

len

djc

Gianna wrote:

djc wrote:

Gianna wrote:

:jawdrop: We’re not even allowed to keep them as pets. Unbelievable! :jawdrop:

Can you send them home please. :shy:

I’d love them all to come home because you don’t know hwat impact they’ll eventually have on native wildlife- we had grey squirrels(american) let loose over here and they’e virtually wiped out the native red squirrel!!

Gianna

djc said:

I’d love them all to come home because you don’t know hwat impact they’ll eventually have on native wildlife- we had grey squirrels(american) let loose over here and they’e virtually wiped out the native red squirrel!!

We never learn, do we? :uhoh:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.