Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Ginger beer

Home Forums HOMEMADE Brewing and winemaking Ginger beer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    gartenfeegartenfee

Hi,

has anyone here made Gingerbeer with less then 4 cups of sugar?

it seems like an awfull lot.i use raw sugar,gives a nicer flavor.

any answers are much appriciated.

marzmarz

I use this recipe all the time – it was on here last year some time. I don’t put that much lemon juice in though, just 1/2 to 1 lemon.

Ginger Beer Plant

In a glass jar – a no.20 fowlers is perfect – place:

1 dessertspoon of raw (or white) sugar. Raw sugar gives it a better colour.

1 dessertspoon ground ginger – you can use raw ginger if you have it.

¼ teaspoon dry yeast.

300mls rain water, or tap water that has stood for 24 hours.

4 sultanas – if you can get organic ones, do so, if not leave them out

Stir this together and cover it with a cloth or milk jug cover. It needs air. Leave it to sit on the kitchen bench.

Every day for 7 days, feed it 1 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon sugar, and stir.

To make the beer

After 7 days you’ll see the plant has started to ferment. Get a clean piece of loosely woven cloth, or a clean cotton tea towel and place it over a bowl. Pour the ginger plant into the fabric and twist the top of the cloth to make it into a ball. Squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can in to the bowl.

Dissolve 3 cups of sugar in 20 cups of water. Add juice of 2 lemons and the ginger mix. Stir and bottle in plastic bottles.

Once you’ve bottled the beer. Put the cap on and allow it to sit on the bench for about 3 days. This will help the fermentation along. If you notice the bottles puffing out, slowly release the lid to let the pressure off. When you put it in the fridge the fermentation will cease.

After a couple of days put the ginger beer in the fridge and enjoy it when it is cold. This ginger beer is fizzy, very gingery and refreshing.

Cheers,

gartenfeegartenfee

Thanks Marz,for taking the time to write out the recipe.

i am following a similar recipe.the ginger beer is nice and refreshing.however, i just feel it takes an awfull lot of sugar.

when one is on a no no sugar diet, i wont be able to drink the GB.

My Darling Man will love it though.

AnneanAnnean

My SO recently made me a non-alcoholic ginger beer as I can’t have alcohol at all. I asked him what he thought:

“The key to making a beer alcoholic is having lots of fermentable sugars (dextrose, sucrose (normal sugar) etc).

The key to making a beer SWEET is having lots of UNfermentable sugars, like lactose.

Put in about 500g (maximum!) of lactose, available at most homebrew stores, and this should sweeten the ginger beer.

I’ve just made a ginger beer with a total of 300g (1 1/2 cups) of sugar and 500g (2 1/2 cups) of dextrose.

This should end up being an essentially non-alcoholic ginger beer.”

I’m not sure if this helps at all, but he seems to think four cups is necessary. I guess a little less dextrose and or/raw sugar won’t be a problem if you’re making it non-alcoholic and don’t mind it being a little less sweet.

I enjoyed it, but it wouldn’t have hurt my enjoyment of it at all to be less sweet!

((He’s just informed me that when he’s made it alcoholic he uses 1.5kg of dextrose! That’s a lot more sugar! :laugh: )

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I have had success feeding the ginger bug with honey as well. It seems to tide it over for longer when I forget the daily feed business and remember a day later- its still burbling away.

Home brewed ginger beer doesnt seem as ‘gingery’ as the Bundaberg stuff so what is their secret? Will using fresh, raw ginger make a difference?

ImarniImarni

I am going to have a go at this over the next few weeks, we have been up at Noosa and went to the Eumundi Markets and tasted the most delicious home made Ginger Beer. I have 3 young boys though so keen not to get them drunk! Hoping to be able to make it alcohol free.

COBCOB

Talking of ginger beer. Does anyone have a recipe for alcoholic ginger beer made with fresh ginger that they could share?

lostinthefoglostinthefog

I found this recipe in a Caribbean cookbook recently-I haven’t tried it yet so don’t know if it would be alcoholic or not…it certainly would be if you chucked in some Rum when serving, as they suggest 🙂 , it sounds worth a try…I’ve had mixed results with traditional Ginger Beer recipes.

4 litres water

500 grams fresh ginger peeled

zest of 1 lime dried

zest of one orange dried

750 grams of sugar

6 cloves

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Bring water to the boil, crush ginger in a mortar & pestle and when thoroughly crushed add to boiling water (I guess you could do the ginger in a food processor ), cook over low heat for 30 minutes, add lime and orange zest and sugar, cover and allow to cool, when cool add cloves and cinnamon, pour into a bowl and allow to sit, covered, on kitchen bench for two days at room temperature. Strain, bottle and refrigerate.

I’m going to give it a go-I reckon it sounds good, I’m guessing natural yeasts would do the fermentation…like sourdough.

COBCOB

Thanks lostinthefog your recipe looks very interesting. I’ll copy it and give it a go when the limes are ready.

COBCOB

Thankyou flyonline. We’ll give your recipe a go. And yes the canned stuff is rubbish. Just two questions.

When you first put it in a glass jar you say to cover, did you mean leave the lid loose or cover with say fabric?

Also when bottling would it make any difference if we didn’t use glass? At the moment we use plastic bottles as they expand when some of our brews have too much gas.

AdrianAdrian

I keep it simple. About 2 kg sugar, a good pile of ginger root straight out of thegarden, washed and grated, juice one lemon, cup or more of golden syrup. Boil it together, then dilute into 20l add bakers yeast, ferment till IRS stopped. Bulk prime with 50g sugar and bottle. Strain the gated ginger out before bottling..

COBCOB

Adrian. Could I have more details please.

Approx how much ginger and yeast do you use?

When you say bulk prime with 50g sugar is that fpr the whole batch? Do you just stir it till it dissolves and then bottle?

Do you seal it when it is fermenting or have an open top? I’m trying to work out if our plastic keg that seals will do.

Thanks

COBCOB

Forgot to ask. How long does everyone leave their brews before drinking?

AdrianAdrian

In answer to the original post, I think you can put as little sugar as you like. You only need a little to mak it bubbly, then it only comes down to sweetness.

In answer to cob I use say 500 g of ginger though used as little as 300, as much as 1.2kg.

I use say 3 table spoons of yeast. It grows so don’t need to worry too much.

Bulk priming is where you mix in to the full mix enough to make bubbles for the bottling.

I use a plastic 25l barrel with a large month at the top, 300mm or so with a hole drilled in the lid and an airlock, from a brewing store in the top. I let’s co2 out prevents flies etc coming in. You could as easily use a cloth. I think mines comes out at 5 per cent alcohol.

AdrianAdrian

Sorry froglips, Edwin, but you are using yeast, just environmental yeasts.. The bubbling comes from these yeasts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.