Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

getting ready for peak oil

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? getting ready for peak oil

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    simonusshersimonussher

Robyne post=308988 wrote: do we really need guns and what kind ours is a 22 for rabbiting any bigger and it would be skinned gutted and gone in one shot.

I really hope things never come to that, but I wouldn’t be overly surprised I guess. I heard one survivalist say the best thing to do is stay undetected, so perhaps a mountain cabin is the way to go.:)

BootstrapperBootstrapper

Hunting is a quick, effective way to put protein on the table. Particularly if the regular supply chain is interrupted. It’s worthwhile to know how to safely handle and effectively use a firearm.

Remaining undetected can also mean hiding, in plain sight – appearing to have nothing worth stealing, of being in the ‘same boat’ as everyone else, thereby passing beneath the notice of the predators.

WazzaWazza

Bootstrapper wrote: Hunting is a quick, effective way to put protein on the table.

Mate, I see you live in Sydney. What do you shoot there? Having recently stayed with a mate in North Narrabeen, it’s hard to imagine stalking the tree lined streets at night with a loaded firearm hunting for possums. But we did get some nice fish out of the nearby Pittwater Inlet.

BullseyeBullseye

If the Shooters and Fishers MP Robert Brown has his way, Sydney’s Royal National Park, Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park and the rest of NSW National Parks would be open-season on feral animals for shooters. Imagine that, a quiet NP bushwalk with the possibility of being shot! :ohmy:

At least the New South Wales Premier Barry O’Farrell says that’s not going to happen.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

just dropped in to change the title. Hopefully….

eta: Hmm, well that didn’t work. Back to the drawing board.

eta: Aha! Worked that time.

BootstrapperBootstrapper

Wazza post=309190 wrote:

Bootstrapper wrote: Hunting is a quick, effective way to put protein on the table.

Mate, I see you live in Sydney. What do you shoot there? Having recently stayed with a mate in North Narrabeen, it’s hard to imagine stalking the tree lined streets at night with a loaded firearm hunting for possums. But we did get some nice fish out of the nearby Pittwater Inlet.

Sydney is range-work only. I have a property near Yass and a standing invitation to shoot on another near Wagga.

I was refering to a (hypothetical) circumstance where ‘normal’ rules and restrictions no longer apply and people are putting meat on the table by hunting in their local area. A discharge in or near a suburban area is considered part of the ‘normal’ background of sounds. Such a scenario isn’t that far-fetched. Possums may be protected (and I’m told they aren’t good to eat anyway) but I’ve seen Rabbits feeding on nature strips and parks in my locale, at night. They could be taken with an air-rifle or .22, firing sub-sonic rounds.

Returning to the real world;

It costs taxpayers almost $1k per animal when the grubbyment attempts to cull. Sporting shooters do the job far more effectively, humanely and at no cost to taxpayers. As a recreational hunter, I’d be happy to ‘share’ a NP with non-hunters. Accidents could be avoided and the ‘peace and quiet’ could be assured by imposing a hunting season or dedicated hunting days.

WazzaWazza

Sorry mate, I wasn’t really taking the p**s out of you. Having spent a fortnight in the latte-sipping culture of the Northern Beaches and Manly it cracked me up thinking of what they’d do if the coffee bars and restaurants ever closed. I’ve never tried possum, but I believe our American cousins eat it and some backwoods living Kiwis do too. And, yeah, I saw plenty of hares while on my nocturnal walks in Sydney. In fact, was amazed at the amount of wildlife and birdlife I encountered. Not enough to feed ’em all though if life as we know it ever went pear shaped.

BullseyeBullseye

I was refering to a (hypothetical) circumstance where ‘normal’ rules and restrictions no longer apply and people are putting meat on the table by hunting in their local area.

What sort of meat on the table PO plan is that? One devoid of any and all concern for the other inhabitants of the planet.

What a sad and sorry end for our native wildlife that would be. An open season on anything that flies, hops, runs, swims or moves in any way. All wildlife killed, native and feral, at the expense of human attempts at a last ditch effort of survival. Even the apparently not so palatable possums would eventually be wiped-out.

BullseyeBullseye

Sporting shooters do the job far more effectively, humanely and at no cost to taxpayers.

No cost?

Self regulated, with no co-ordinated management by professional wildlife and feral animal control workers, of the blood-sport amateur shooters let loose in our national parks, that would be a complete disaster.

PS that’s my professional opinion, as one who has been ‘professionally’ (licensed) to be involved in feral animal management.

BootstrapperBootstrapper

I thought that might be the case Wazza. FWIW, I think that most game in the ‘burbs would be hunted to extinction in short order, once people got hungry enough. It’s not something that I would rely on long term. I think of it more as a short-term emergency measure. Hunting in the ‘burbs is illegal anyway, so that option’s off the table in any situation where ‘law ‘n order’ is less scarce than churches on the Outer Barcoo. :laugh:

The feral animal species roaming our NPs all destroy native wildlife, either directly through predation or indirectly through habitat destruction. There’s no need for Barry to change anything; To hunt in NSW NPs, shooters must hold a “R” category licence, from the Game Council of NSW. To obtain one of those, an applicant has to demonstrate they can correctly identify exotic pest and native species. In the (likely) event that we experience another global financial crisis, grubbyments will have to prioritise their spending and I find it difficult to see how perceived ‘luxuries’ like feral animal control in NPs is going to be funded. That’s the real disaster for our native species. What a delicious irony; The ‘anti-gun’ lobby, forced to rely on recreational hunters to protect the environment.

Anyway, back to “PO – Where are we headed?”

Since 90% of all Oil is used for transport fuel, PO will have its greatest impact on the world’s (and Australia’s) transport infrastructure. Our economy has evolved around – and is largely dependent on – moving (lots of) people and stuff around the landscape so if that’s taken away, the economy won’t function. My own back-of-the-envelope calculations indicate that the world won’t actually run out of Oil until close to the end of this century. However, production is now on an inexorable downward trend and this can only mean that it will become steadily more expensive.

All economic activities have inputs that cost. Electricity, Petrol and Diesel are principal inputs. Every enterprise has a threshold price for inputs, above which the business can no longer generate a profit, regardless of supply. This will vary from business to business and from industry to industry. The effect I think, will be a series of partial collapses, commencing with those businesses/industries that operate on the thinnest margins – airlines, for example – and progressing across the (economic) landscape like a rising tide, submerging successive ‘tiers’ of industries as their input price thresholds are breached.

There is no ‘alternative’ (or any combination of ‘alternatives’) that can replace Oil, Coal or NG in the Industrial world’s system. All the wealth Industrial civilisation has produced since 1945, has been spent building a living and wealth-producing arrangement that’s dependent on transportation and on optimising that system to run on Oil, Coal and NG.

For the first time in history, the promise of of a return on (paper) investment driven by underlying ‘economic growth’ is no longer plausible. I think that this was what caused the financial meltdown in late 2008 (when Oil hit $149 BBL) and the market saw real evidence (which couldn’t be ignored) that the mountain of debt accumulated to that point might not be repayable. If anything, the systemic rot has only accelerated since then. It appears that no political will exists to address the problem, so collapse is the only plausible outcome.

I know I harp on this, but I think we’re locked into this boom-and-bust cycle as long as we cling to a debt-based money system, fractional-reserve banking, the idea that money is a store of wealth and the concept of positive interest.

I think that the current generation of retirees may be the last to enjoy that luxury. Family and close community ties may become critical survival assets for older people like me, just like they were for my great-grandparents.

DennisDennis

If PO or a similar thing really did happen and there was a problem with food then it will take more then a NP border to stop people hunting. Food or the lack there of changes peoples outlook on life.

RobyneRobyne

Thanks Lady B I did wonder where the P had gone.

I added more seeds to my stock pile as it will in time become organic saving my own seeds from what I grow, I also have been buying some organic seeds of of Ebay for about $1 a packet.

A show on the cable about electricity going showed people in the begginning paniced and there was looting and theft. But as people realized that they would have to do something for themsleves its the only time people will do it, My parents said during the war they had to grow food or starve they had no choice.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

I think seed saving is one of the best things you can do to prepare Robyne. I know I have started to. It gives you a constant food supply with a little know how. I think if it came to it that people would either starve or have to grow their own food. What scares me though is the “ferals” who couldn’t be bothered growing their own and will go out and steal other peoples food. You would need to lay low until they either starved :sick: or wiped themselves out by fighting each other :blink: for food. Somehow and I hope it never comes to it but I don’t think people who are hungry are going to necessarily knock on your door asking if it’s ok to take some veges. I wonder what the hoards in the cities would do? Very few people on a 400sq/m block of land with a mcmansion will have enough grass around their property perimeters to grow much even if they had the will to. A lot of them just want to open a packet and heat it in the microwave.

shortlyshortly

If your concerned about the ferals or the hungry latte set knocking on the door then grow things ppl wont recognise as food.

Jerusalem artichokes, yams, cacti, many palms a few of the plectranthus & bamboos etc etc.

As long as it doesn’t look like a Veg garden you should largely be left in peace, and a few antipersonnel plants around the perimeter wouldn’t hurt.

veginoutveginout

Lol shortly, I guess I can now think of my stinging nettles as a necessary antipersonnel plant.

I have spuds growing feral in few different locations on my property, only a couple are harvested every year, the others just come up continually – I must check there is an edible crop down there. Oca is another that looks like a weed and comes harvestable in winter

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.