Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

getting ready for peak oil

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? getting ready for peak oil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    RobyneRobyne

I thought I would start a topic on what we need to have for peak oil things like what food you need to store and how. Tools you will need. etc

This is for ideas only, any polilical ideas use the other site first please. as we tend to get lost in it.

I have been stockingup for a while now, the stuff ofr my next stocking is

wheat I estimate I will need about 1 ton a year for 5 adults and 2 children.

Honey. I have been buying form the local guy till we get our own bees.

oils in tins and glass bottles plastic can be poured into glass bottles

soap making products

candle making products.

Old tools

milk powder till we get a goat or cow.

After rereading Linda Cockburn and what she ran out of I have decided to write down everything we use daily so we can stock up on that eg; tea coffee chocolate drinks for the littleys

weaverweaver

OMG there is another peak????? Peak oil, peak phosphorous and now Peak Poil :whistle: :pinch: 🙁 :laugh:

Pink AngelPink Angel

I think I am peaked out 😉

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

weaver post=308978 wrote: OMG there is another peak????? Peak oil, peak phosphorous and now Peak Poil :whistle: :pinch: 🙁 :laugh:

Hahahahaha… peak poil, what is it exactly ? :silly:

RobyneRobyne

Its not for Peak Oil but What we all need to have on hand without going into great details.

Web sites you have read that might be of interest not political but useful ideas.

do we really need guns and what kind ours is a 22 for rabbiting any bigger and it would be skinned gutted and gone in one shot.

Today I bought another 2 packets of tea bags and tea leaves.

You have to remember that in some areas things don’t grow so we need the ideas for those people

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Hi Robyne,

In the title of this thread, you have spelt ‘oil’ as poil.. that is what I was referring to 🙂

RobyneRobyne

Its my glasses can’t with them and can’t see without them. I need them for distance and I find the computer is just in the middle of it.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

:laugh: I wondered what peak poil was too Robyn! I do think the thread is a great idea though.

I bought a bag of rock salt the other day and still have to put it into containers 🙁 but my ‘other life’ has been rather busy this week and I now feel a little :S so I’m sure it will wait a couple of days.

I’ve taken on a small homebased business this week so hopefully that will bring in enough $$ to put towards the solar hot water and eventually some solar power. It’s all a matter of planning right now.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Robyne post=308992 wrote: Its my glasses can’t with them and can’t see without them. I need them for distance and I find the computer is just in the middle of it.

I hope you weren’t offended by my comment Robynne, we all make typo’s from time to time. This one just struck my funny bone at the right time I guess :silly:

weaverweaver

Hope you werent offended by my silliness wither Robynne I was a bit bored and feeling silly

RobyneRobyne

No, I have a thick skull as hubby says. I know you all have a good sence of humour I think we all need it in todays world.

I am too exhausted tonight to be bothered with anything. I went back to work at the Time SHare on Fridays and being humid and 3 very dirty units and the school holidays haven’t even begun. I am wondering why I alllowed my friend talk me into going back to cleaning.

I packed away another box of food today. I bought some fruit that was on special for $1.79 at Woolies and some more tuna So I spent my $30 for this week.

Next week I will have to see whats on special and what we actually need. I want to order toilet paper from a place in Boronia Victoria. You have to order 72 rolls at a time for $39.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Robyne post=308988 wrote: do we really need guns and what kind ours is a 22 for rabbiting any bigger and it would be skinned gutted and gone in one shot.

A .22 is a perfect survival rifle. The ammo is extremely cheap when compared to all other calibers, and a .22 slug will drop a deer if put in the right place (though not recommended for humane reasons).

A lever action is my weapon of choice, with preference to a Marlin 39A. It holds around 20 rounds in the tubular magazine (try getting a bolt action mag that will hold half as many!), is quick to shoot and reload. The range I’m able to squeeze out of this rifle from such a tiny calibre is amazing.

I also have a 30-30 lever action which has been used for bunny target practice on occasion. You’d be surprised that the bullet generally passes right through them without much damage. It doesn’t have time to expand. It’s a bit of a bush-myth that such a large calibre would blow them to pieces. Using this ammo on a bunny is a real waste though, especially at around $1 a pop.

I have to admit the title of this topic sucked me in to reading it. I thought you were having a lend of us Robyn! It’s funny even though it wasn’t intentional.

SurvegalistSurvegalist

Robyne post=309029 wrote: No, I have a thick skull as hubby says. I know you all have a good sence of humour I think we all need it in todays world.

I am too exhausted tonight to be bothered with anything. I went back to work at the Time SHare on Fridays and being humid and 3 very dirty units and the school holidays haven’t even begun. I am wondering why I alllowed my friend talk me into going back to cleaning.

I packed away another box of food today. I bought some fruit that was on special for $1.79 at Woolies and some more tuna So I spent my $30 for this week.

Next week I will have to see whats on special and what we actually need. I want to order toilet paper from a place in Boronia Victoria. You have to order 72 rolls at a time for $39.

Hey Robyne,check out K-Mart next time your there,we been buying 32R’s for $7.50 a pack,almost allways around that price..cheaper than the ones you mentioned.

RobyneRobyne

Sadly Kmart is 45 min drive from me. It took the council 25 years to OK a large shop and last year we finally got a Big W. All we have in shops around the intire area is 2 Woolies, 1 IGA or foodland and a Coles. We have Lenards and Bakers Delight and a couple of Veggie shops but if you want to look in other shops you have to travel the distance.

My youngest son lives near the big shopping center and when we go to see him we always make a day of it and look in the shops. Will check Kamrt out for the rolls.

My idea was to give and get ideas so all of us can build up our supplies.

Like when Linda did the 6 months she went in quite quickly I want to be fuly prepared.

I have added seeds to my list.

fishing lines and maybe some more fishing gear.

some old tools or really good ones that will last.

I need some new rubbber boots so that will go on the list.

As I think of things I will be adding to the list.

SurvegalistSurvegalist

Don’t you just hate garden tools that have wooden handles,I have a set that I changed all over to galv pipe handles..they will out last the heads of some of them.But for the ones you can’t change over,get a few spare wooden handles.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.