Aussies Living Simply

G'day from mallee SA.

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Introduce yourself G'day from mallee SA.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    GreenyhippyGreenyhippy

New to this site so please bare with me. Not much of an internet junky either. But these sort of sites are great. We live in the Murray Lands of SA. We bought this place 5 years ago and moved here nearly 3 years ago. It was a run down cottage with a few barron acers but it has a windmill that pumps reasonable bore water and the cottage was structually sound. Just in need of a lot of TLC. We now have greened up the place, veggy garden, fruit trees, bamboo for shade. Also many animal runs have been built and we bought milking goats, meat rabbits, turkeys and of course chickens. All of which are doing fairly well.

After making our own bread for quite some time we recently bought a grain mill and now mill about half of all the flour we use. We make soft cheese and yogurt with our goats milk. We are happy with our decision to move from the suburbs to a more rural loctaion. We wish to communicate with people who already live this life style and offer encouragement others who hope to do a simular thing.

:tup:

Shangri LaShangri La

Hi Greenyhippy

Welcome to the site, we would love to hear more about what you do. Are you growing bamboo there? A Sunshine Coast bamboo grower is supplying Adelaide Zoo with bamboo for the new pandas – might be an opening for you!

BelBel

Hi Greenyhippy :wave: Your lifestyle sounds fabulous – I’m jealous. We’d love a similar lifestyle, but just don’t have the guts to up and go. Would also love to see some pics :tup:

ferngirlferngirl

Welcome Green Hippy :wave: Hope you enjoy it here. Lisa

BobbeeBobbee

Hello Greenhippy, :wave:

It’s very nice to meet you. I’m sure you will have lots of info to share on the forum.

GreenyhippyGreenyhippy

Thanks for all your warm welcomes. I am having trouble uploading photos, any suggestions. Will keep trying.:tup:

BobbeeBobbee

Have a look in the Navigation Panel, top left of your screen, click Discussion Forum and go down that page until you find Tutorials. You will find what you need there.

If all else fails, then pm Doc.

:metal::metal::metal:

jeanette kirkJeanie
    Participant

Welcome to ALS:hug:couldnt find you on the map?

ejaneaejanea

Hi Greenyhippy.

I am looking at buying a grain mill for flour. (I live just down the road from an organic grain grower) and I’d appreciate any information on which one you have, how you decided and what you think of it.

thanks,

Jane

GreenyhippyGreenyhippy

We bought our mill online from Skippy Grain Mills. Its called “Restsel. LITTLE ARK”. Its a hand mill but you can buy a pulley set seperate. We bought it without the pulley then fitted our own useing and old washing machine motor belt and pulley. It took a bit of getting used to and the best flour is double milled but for about $200 and a few days playing with it, it’s benifits are huge. 😀

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

G’day and welcome to ALS:wave:

sounds like you spend a fair bit of time “milling about” 😉

Enjoy the journey:metal:

rockkandyrockkandy

Hey,

Welcome, great folks here.

Were near Clare in SA,

Cheers,

Julie

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.