Aussies Living Simply

G'day from Boonah

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Introduce yourself G'day from Boonah

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Keymaster

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking for a while now – it’s about time I introduced myself.

I live in Boonah which is in SE Qld about 50km SW of Ipswich. I live in town on a 1/4 acre block with my wife & four sons.

I’m really keen on sustainable gardening and am interested in organic gardening principles. We have a veggie garden which includes a chookpen and four hens. At the moment I have lettuce, corn, silverbeet, cucumbers & beans growing as well as a number of fruit trees – orange, lemon, lemonade, lime, tropical apples, peach and avacado.

I’m trying a living mulch under some of the citrus (lucerne & comfrey) which I slash from time to time. This seems to be working well at feeding the soil and keeping the moisture in (when it does rain).

I’d like to do more but there never seems to be enough time.

Steve

peterh

Welcome Steve. Finding time is of course one of our greatest challenges. If you get a solution post it. many of us would like a few hints:lol:

Sounds like your garden is doing well.:tup:

Tullymoor

Welcome Steve 😀

Kit

Hiyas Steve 🙂

forest

Welcome Steve. Have you had a bit of rain out there in the past couple of weeks? Sounds like your garden is doing well. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Herbman

G’day Steve 🙂

Franceyne

Welcome to ALS Steve.

Do your chooks have access to your fruit trees too?

🙂

Whitney

Hi Steve,

We live at New Beith, Northern end of Beaudesert shire. Welcome, lets hope we get some more rain, nice part of the world Boonah!!!:D

Chezza
    Participant

Welcome Steve, With 4 boys on the fang you better double production!!!! 😆

jaygee

Hi Steve 🙂 I can relate to the not having enough time thing, lol.

Steve
    Keymaster

Thanks everyone for your welcome. I notice there are quite a few of us from SE Qld.

Ronda, we’ve had just under 30mm of rain on and off over the last fortnight. It has brightened the place up but before that things were looking grim.

Fran, I don’t let the chooks under the trees as they aren’t fenced from the veggies. I notice the people down the road have a number of ducks in and around their veggies. The ducks don’t seem to do as much damage as the chooks.

You’re right about the boys, Chezza. In about a week three of them will be teenagers. I can’t remember eating as much as they do!

Steve

Kit

I can relate to that Steve….MY 2 boys arent event teenages yet and they are eating more than us oldies.

They no sooner finish eating, then they are hungry an hour later…..could it be worms ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.