Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

G'day.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

G’day,

I have just joined this group and I thought that I should introduce myself.

My wife and I live on 3.5 Ac in Bedfordale WA.

We have a dozen chooks for eggs and meat, and a dozen sheep to keep the place neat and tidy, plus provide meat as well.

We have a vegetable garden which I am trying to sort out into beds, rather than planting anywhere. I have started by cutting a sheet of roofing tin in half lengthwise and making a raised bed. When the other veggies have finished, I plan to make another 2 or 3 more of these.

We also have an Aquaponics system which hopefully will supply us with fish and veggies (already supplies plenty of tomatoes, capsicum, chillies, cabbage, cauliflower, beans, etc in a chemical free environment).

My wife has a few aviaries and raises Eastern Rosella’s, and a variety of grass parrots and finches.

We do not have mains water, so we have a large rain water tank fed from the house, garage and my workshop roof. We have a bore for watering the garden.

Our home is made of rammed earth, with an iron roof, and was built in 1985, with solar orientation and has many passive solar features. The hot water service is solar with a wet back on the wood fired space heater. An electric booster is fitted but has not been needed in the 3 years we have lived here.

We have added a 2.5KWp (stand alone) solar power system which provides most of our power during Summer and about 70% during Winter. It can be switched back to the Mains Grid if we get a number of overcast days or need to equalise the battery bank. We also have a 1KWp grid tied solar system which generates sufficient power in Summer to cater for other electrical devices which are not supplied by the solar inverter. eg 3 phase pumps, evaporative Air conditioner & electric oven. I have plans to build a diesel (vegetable oil/biodiesel) powered generator to help with winter generation.

I look forward to meeting ALS members online and, possibly later, in person.

Regards,

Tony

KippenKippen

Hi Tony. Welcome to ALS, to both of you. 🙂 Your setup at home is really impressive!

jaymesjaymes

Hey Tony! You’re here! Welcome 🙂

sewing ladysewing lady

Hi Tony, your place sounds like heaven. Would love to see photos

CarolCarol

Hello Tony, sounds like you have a fantastic setup. How long did it it take you to get to this point?

ErthgirlErthgirl

G’day Tony

Your place sounds fantastic! Look forward to hearing more about it.

Cheers – Erthgirl x

BobbeeBobbee

Hello Tony, :wave:

Nice to meet you.

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Gooday to both of you and welcome to ALS:wave:

The raised garden beds from corrugated iron are great. We have heaps in our garden and they certainly save the old back:tup:

Sounds like a great solar setup.

Enjoy the journey:tup:

bdm6125bdm6125

Hi Tony!

We are pretty near you in Serpentine.

Love the sound of your stand alone system…as well as your productive garden!

Actually, the whole thing sounds fantastic! :tup:

mary dollmary doll

:wave:hi and welcome

MD

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.